Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PBS "The War" Series

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
This may have been mention but later in the month PBS will be airing a series called "The War"

"THE WAR, a seven-part series directed and produced by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick, tells the story of the Second World War through the personal accounts of a handful of men and women from four quintessentially American towns. T"

I only point this out because my grand parents will be airing in a special segment in the Bay Area (KQED / KTEH) called "The War: Bay Area Stories" They have even posted a sample of the ither view with my family here.

I know this borderline advertising so if this isn't the correct board or not allowed i didn't mean any disrespect. i just wanted to share this information. Any way. there is a snazy picture of my grandparents at the top of the page in the 2nd link and i know theres a picture of my grandfather in uniform buried on another page in the KQED site.

kampkatz

Practically Family
war stories

Apparently PBS will be using stories and photos from all over the country (and perhaps beyond). Our local NPR station has been asking for first person recollections here in central PA. Some of the local vets have responded.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We hosted the Northern New England premiere of a preview version of this documentary a few weeks ago, with Burns's fellow filmmaker Lynn Novick on hand to introduce the clips and do a Q & A, and I have to say I'm *very* impressed. I am ordinarily not a Burns fan -- I think he tends to oversimplify history for the sake of a good story, and I find some of his filmmaking techniques to be terribly cloying -- but from the two hours worth of "The War" that I've seen, I don't think that will be as much of an issue this time. I'll definitely have the tape rolling when the full series airs!

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
Looking forward to it. For years while living in New Albany IN, our house was next to a small national cemetery. Then crowds were small then and I would hate to think what they are like now10 years later.

Shearer

Practically Family
I picked up the companion book at Barnes and Noble last weekend... it was something like 40% off with my membership, so I couldn't resist. A good (but awkward - the thing's a tome!) read with some great photographs.

poetman

A-List Customer
Who saw the first episode last night? Any thoughts? I loved it. I thought it was well done--of course, one can raise a series of historically relevant objections, but it's important to remember Ken has a different objective. I didn't think it was going to be that long--2.5 hrs. Don't forget, it's on every night through Wednesday.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I liked it. Burns' patented device of zeroing in on a few towns works well. The people interviewed are outstanding. Big impact.

It began to feel like an awful lot of senseless slaughter and gore, but that's what WWII was, indeed.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I liked it too. Really touching. The man has a way of personalizing everything and staying away from the military strategy and tactics that are the objective of most of these documentaries. Hearing those stories and seeing those faces really tugs at your heart.

Richard

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I have problems with this series.

Wynton Marsalis's original musical score is discordant, even distracting.

There are an inordinate number of images of the dead. So many, in fact, that the pictures lose their power and become indistinguishable.

The narrator's voice is a pale shadow of David McCullough's or Morgan Freeman's. It doesn't grab and hold one's attention.

SWTroopers

Familiar Face
All in all though, I think "War" is off to a good start. Personally I like Keith David's narration. Yes, he's no McCoullough, but still, I find him well spoken and engaging. I do have to agree about Marsalis' score though, just too busy!

Lizzie, I have to agree with you on on Burns' style. I found his technique mildly annoying and quite boring during "Jazz." I thought he spent too much time on Miles Davis to the detriment of others.

Marc

It should be a good series, and we can't forget that they have to lay the foundation as it were to get the story told right.

Earlier there was a program airing with a title of something like: "America in the Forties" which was also pretty good. I had seen it previously but worth watching again. Charles Durning the actor was in it doing some readings of letters and giving some explanations of the general feeling of the time.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I'm watching part 2 right now (missed part 1; will watch it later tonight). The interviews are really strong (that bomber pilot particularly).

Very strange (but great) to see so much color footage from this era. Also, on a purely superficial note, I keep ogling all those gorgeous flight jackets--the "Jackets" thread here must be having an effect on me because I'd never have noticed them before!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
1428851f.jpg

Lotus Leroux

One of the Regulars
So far I am enjoying this series especially the footage of women in the factories! I also agree that the interviews are also really well done and the interviewees are really sharp!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I just watched the start of the second episode and I couldn't help thinking how lucky we were that FDR was in the White House during the Depression and most of WWII. Listening to those speeches I'm still inspired by his confidence and intelligence over 60 years later.

The rerun of Part One is very soon; I'm looking forward to it very much.

ETA; Finished Part One. Something I really like about this series is that it talks about how unprepared the US armed forces were at first--I don't recall that being dealt with much in other works I've seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner