Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pea coat opinion

Biznard

New in Town
Hi, everyone. This is my first post, but I've been on here a lot. I would just like your opinion on something. I just received my WWII pea coat from Vintage trends and it fit and looks great! The thing is, it doesn't have the "Naval Clothing Factory" tag in it. Thanks to this site and the forums, I'm positive that it's an authentic coat and I can see the outline from where the tag was gently removed. So my question is... would you keep the coat even though it is missing the tag to help authenticate it?

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
Hi Biznard,
If you bought the jacket to wear I think all you should worry about is fit, finish and if it makes you happy! if you bought it as a museum piece the missing label could be a problem!, enjoy the jacket for what it is!

Cooperson

One Too Many
Agree with Davy, it's only really an issue if you are a collector - it also might affect the resale value a little bit if you want to move it on at some stage. If you look at the photos on Vintage Trends, most coats have a picture of the label next to the coat. There are some that don't, probably because they were removed at some stage, but it doesn't seem to affect the value much.

If you are unsure in any way about authenticity and want a definitive answer, I would post a photo here of your coat and let Mr Peacoat take a look at it for you - then you will know for sure.

Other than that just enjoy it - it's the perfect weather here for peacoats.

Last edited:

Fifty150

One Too Many
What's the big deal? At the end of the day, are you planning on wearing the garment, hanging it on a wall for display, or just owning it so that you can show people the label on the inside of the lining?

If a missing label bothers you that much, then get rid of it. If you enjoy wearing the coat, then keep it. Whatever makes you happy. Forget about what other people think.

Peacoat

Bartender
Keep it and don't let the absence of a tag bother you. It is meaningless unless you are a collector, and it doesn't sound as if you are.

Welcome to the Lounge.

CC-1

Familiar Face
Anyone who knows the coats can tell a real one regardless of the tag(s).
There's supposed to be one at the neck too of you want to get technical
but it was very fragile and not present in the vast majority of WW2 coats.
The reproductions I have investigated are easily distinguishable from the real thing.
The tag outline is just a little more evidence to submit authenticity.
Hope this gives you confidence to both wear it and show it off.

Cicero

A-List Customer
Keep the coat and enjoy wearing it.
If you want to sell it to a collector, the tag will not be as much of a problem because there are more signs on a coat telling it's original or not.
The only thing is, with a tag you can ask a bit more if you put it on sale imho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy