Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pea Coat Prices

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
I just saw on the Vintage Trends website a size 46 (my size) pea coat in excellent condition. The price was a whopping $375.00. I just bought a pea coat from them last year. It was a size 46 and was supposed to be in mint condition (almost, but not quite). I think the price was $225.00. I did buy it though. That one was a 1951. This one is a 1953. That's a pretty steep increase in 1 year. I still haven't seen any old Kersey coats in size 46 on ebay yet this year. I'm more then glad that I bought a few in my size last year. I have a feeling that the large sizes (46 and 48) will be seeing significant price increases.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Prices are whatever the market will bear. You're willing to pay it, they will charge you. Enough people balk, and the price point comes down.

nathanl

New in Town
I still haven't seen any old Kersey coats in size 46 on ebay yet this year.

I think that's just it. Without any on eBay, there are literally no other coats in that size to buy but from Vintage Trends.

I'm in a similar situation on the opposite end, I'm a 34 and they're so much less common than the 36-38s. I've seen a couple of WWII coats around my size bidded up to $200+ on eBay in the last couple of weeks and I've had to return two in the last week because they were in much worse shape than described, even with really detailed follow up questions.

I'm hoping to get one more mint one before they disappear entirely...

Fifty150

One Too Many
You want it for X-Mas? So does everyone else. It's a bidding frenzy. If you wait, like say until after Hay-Zeus' B-Day Bash, then there won't be as much bidding activity.

Trotsky

A-List Customer
I paid $80 for my Size 46 WWII peacoat and $34 shipped for my early '50s Kersey coat (size 44). It's more a question of time that you're willing to invest in looking around the web, and especially ebay. The WWII one was from Canada and it was a "buy it now", he wanted $100, I offered $80 and they took it. My '50s one was labeled very poorly BUT the seller had a picture of the size label, which is all I needed. Vintage trends is indeed damned expensive, but deals are to be had, you just need to keep on looking!

Flyderf

New in Town
I just picked up a Sterlingware pea coat from the local Army/Navy surplus. Marked as used but I'm convinced this guy left the Great Lakes training center for San Diego and never wore it. Looks brand new. $90.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff