Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pencil Mustache

Alan Eardley said:
Ahhh! Quelle guitariste, et quelle guitar!

I once went through a phase where I used to try and imitate his style. It's not easy. I even bought a guitar like his (the bottom one) and used to tape up my fingers to try and see how he did it.

I never quite managed the style, but at least I have the jacket!

Alan

lol lol lol lol taping the fingers. That's great. I tried to play like Art Tatum once: I began by poking out my eyes. (just kidding, of course)

You've seen the video of Je Attendrai, right? Some excellent close-ups of the technique. Breathtaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTuhRFLSoao

And talking of suits, the base player is wearing a beauty in the opening sequence of the "Hot Club" performance.

bk

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
lol lol lol lol taping the fingers. That's great. I tried to play like Art Tatum once: I began by poking out my eyes. (just kidding, of course)

You've seen the video of Je Attendrai, right? Some excellent close-ups of the technique. Breathtaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTuhRFLSoao

And talking of suits, the base player is wearing a beauty in the opening sequence of the "Hot Club" performance.

bk

Baron

Yes, there are a number of versions of Je Attendrai on Youtube. It is fascinating to watch Django. Before such videos were available we used to listen to sound recordings and try to reconstruct the way a piece was played. For a while I was convinced that some of Django's riffs were done by sharing the work with one of the other guitarists, but this piece shows clearly that this is not the case (although I won't say it never happened). Two things stand out. First, his amazing natural rhythm. The second is his unconventional right hand technique. Anyone used to playing classical fingerstyle finds it difficult to pick the sort of fluid runs that Django just throws off as if they were easy. On Youtube there is a guy named Adrian doing a 'note for note' reconstruction of 'Improvisation No.2' on a similar gutar to Django's. Adrian is a very good guitarist technically, but his version is wooden by comparison. See the difference in the right hand technique? The third is the spread that Django is able to get between his first and index fingers by turning his hand - three frets sometimes in mid fretboard. A guitar teacher would slap a pupil's wrist for trying that, yet he does it with lightning speed. My brief experiments with tape (many years ago) at least gave the indication that, once you are used to it, having the two smaller fingers out of the way may actually improve your speed between frets.

Anyone bored out there? Sorry!

I agree about the bass players' suit. Check out the armpits on Grapelli's jacket!

Alan

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
:eek:fftopic:

Alan Eardley said:
I once went through a phase where I used to try and imitate his style.

You're probably aware of this anyway: there are several collections of note-by-note transcriptions around. I'm not a guitar player myself (unless you count some chords when I was 15), but have a look at them first - a short Minor Swing check showed that one had the full thing, while the other had basically the intro motif, consisting of two minor chords, and then a rest, noting "(Solo Play)".

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
:eek:fftopic:

You're probably aware of this anyway: there are several collections of note-by-note transcriptions around. I'm not a guitar player myself (unless you count some chords when I was 15), but have a look at them first - a short Minor Swing check showed that one had the full thing, while the other had basically the intro motif, consisting of two minor chords, and then a rest, noting "(Solo Play)".

Shaul-Ike,

Yes, thanks. I have a number of such transcriptions. The problem is that when you watch a film of Django playing the same piece, he is often clearly not playing what is in the 'transcription'! It may sound similar, but that's not what's happening.

Does playing 1930s/40s jazz warrant a thread of its own somewhere?

Alan

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Alan Eardley said:
It may sound similar, but that's not what's happening.

I'd expect that, judging from piano transcriptions. Concerning the mere fingering, it's certainly educational as well as fun (Django Reinhardt might have differred), but I'd probably use all the fingers I have. Given my particular growth of beard as pictured somewhere above, I might rather tape a moustache on my face, if taping must be.

dostacos

Practically Family
the reason I have a mustache is I detest shaving my upper lip, every time I shave it off, it lasts about 2 shaves and I start growing it back.

I grew a beard because I tend to not shave on the weekends so I ended up with a beard.

I guess a pencil thin mustache won't be on my face anytime soon:D

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I'm late to this particular party, but no one's mentioned actor Warren William:

william_warren_400.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Pencils can be ACE...!!

Every so often, I think of growing a pencil again [huh] But you need to be prepared to take the 'slings and arrows' of friends and family at times when you do (as it takes a while for some folk to get their head around this 'vintage gent' look of the 40's). But isn't that the case with 'the vintage' look across the board. Wear it well 'for YOU' and not for others. If you were it WELL and with CONFIDENCE, then others will totally accept it, and just 'how sharp' does a pencil look on the right kind of face!!:eusa_clap

ErrolFlynn009.jpg

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
i'm going with Powell and Gable...Clarky went through a couple different pencil styles that look great. i've had one for awhile,can kind of see it on my avatar, but its too light...where's that mascara pencil? lol lol

rikrdo

A-List Customer
any updates, Gents ??

Getting ready for a w a y past due lowering of my ears and I am going to trim up my stache, as well.

Love all the photos but I am looking for solid tips and tricks to keep the pencil looking sharp.
Mine looks alright when it is short but when I let it grow some it sticks straight out ! :rage: .............
So.

Howz it goin out there for you guys? Tony: Still growing yours ???

=Clipper=

One of the Regulars
How about the seldom mentioned Robert Donat:

donatroberttb8.jpg

I read a bit of his story and he seemed like an amazing guy. Silver screen actor from the 20's to late 50's. I tried growing my mustache like him before...came out alright. But I like the clean look on him.

=Clipper=

One of the Regulars
rikrdo said:
Getting ready for a w a y past due lowering of my ears and I am going to trim up my stache, as well.

Love all the photos but I am looking for solid tips and tricks to keep the pencil looking sharp.
Mine looks alright when it is short but when I let it grow some it sticks straight out ! :rage: .............
So.

Howz it goin out there for you guys? Tony: Still growing yours ???

rikrdo, I have used my straight razor to clean up my lines the few times I've worn a mustache. All this talk makes me want to grow one out again :)

=Adrian=

=Clipper=

One of the Regulars
here's one I found from this past christmas..

xmasmustacheiw4.jpg

Sorry the picture's so small. But you can see the general shape I was going for..I wish it would fill in more. I get so impatient sometimes and end up shaving it. I should hold out 'till it fill up and lays nicely. Any suggestions gents (and ladies)? Yay or nay?

rikrdo

A-List Customer
Clipper:

Dig that look, man. Very clean.

We'll have to have an I.E. get together sometime (see my locale, neighbor ;))

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy