Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pencil Mustache

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
skyvue said:
Haven't posted a shot of mine in a while. This is about as good as it's going to get, I guess.

pencilmustache.jpg

I think it looks quite excellent on you!

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Hello
I just thought I would post and update with a rather fun picture I took.
Photo207.jpg

being evil is fun.

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
Never had the *ahem* cohones to go there but they look very classy and sophisticated in the movies.BB you wear it well! :)

Several of my hispanic coworkers have the the thinner pencil-type moustaches and look very good with them.I`d like to "go there" one day.

David Niven comes to mind....Sheer style.

HMH

Corky

Practically Family
The problem with a "Pencil" mustache...

The problem with a "Pencil" mustache is that even if one has black facial hair, one must use an eyebrow pencil or other make up tool to fill it in.

Most people see pencil mustaches on characters from old movies and they tend to forget that these people are heavily made-up actors with the benefit of complete costume, wardrobe and make-up departments behind the way they look on screen.

John Waters is a prime example of a current celeb who wears a pencil mustache, and I am sure that he uses mascara or something similar in his mustache when he is about to be photographed.

We all want to look like Zorro at one time or another in our lives, but we sometimes balk at the use of the cosmetics necessary to complete the look.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Corky said:
The problem with a "Pencil" mustache is that even if one has black facial hair, one must use an eyebrow pencil or other make up tool to fill it in.

Most people see pencil mustaches on characters from old movies and they tend to forget that these people are heavily made-up actors with the benefit of complete costume, wardrobe and make-up departments behind the way they look on screen.

John Waters is a prime example of a current celeb who wears a pencil mustache, and I am sure that he uses mascara or something similar in his mustache when he is about to be photographed.

We all want to look like Zorro at one time or another in our lives, but we sometimes balk at the use of the cosmetics necessary to complete the look.

Not me, I used to pluck and use mascara. On the other hand, I didn't need to always use mascara. I had a thick enough stash that when plucked, it looked quite nice as is. but for special nights, a little mascara never hurt.

Rathko

New in Town
YEPS - your black and white pic inspired me to finally grow a pencil moustache. Is it naturally dark or does is have (ahem) assistance?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Well, it is naturally dark, but not particularly thick, but then again, Errol Flynn's was not either.

The one time I have darkened it was to make it read on stage in my most recent production (Die Fledermaus), and for that I used an eyeliner pencil. But that is rather unnecessary for normal life.

Glad I could be an inspiration.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Gable's was rather sparse, too.

I don't color mine. It's light (and probably going grey, like my hair), but still can seen (in person more than in photos).

Big_e

Practically Family
I feel my moustache line is still a little too thick. I like it just like this but I feel it may be a little thick for a true pencil moustache?
Ernest

Picture477.jpg

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Pencil Thin Mustaches

I know we had a thread on famous pencil thin mustache wearers, but what I'm wondering is--
When did the trend start, by who and when did it wane/decline?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
FedoraFan112390 said:
I know we had a thread on famous pencil thin mustache wearers

Then it's best to post your query in that thread and delete this one. Starting new threads for topics which already exist just clutters up the board and causes useless duplication.

Not having a go at you, it's just something which we all have to do here, otherwise the place would be a shambles.

Bustercat

A-List Customer
I ran one last Halloween, courtesy of my fiancee's eyeliner. Made a silver toothcap out of tinfoil to complete the look of "dashing crown prince of the wealthy but irrelevant Republic of San Pelegrino."

15737_173851231134_705251134_336939.jpg

I threatened to keep it, and my fiancee told me I better not. After we were done with that ritual comedic exchange, we both realized it looked kinda cool and sophisticated, and wondered why our kneejerk reaction had been to scorn it. I mean, that's what they'd do on todays TV, right?

Why do you think "lip caterpillars" got a stigma of creepyness and tastelessness? I think it's clear John Waters wears his because of that, not in spite of it.

Is it simply a case of an era becoming unfashionable, or because of a specific individual or event?

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Whenever I think of the pencil moustache I think of Private Joe Walker of Dad's Army, played by James Beck.

Described in Wikipedia as "a black market “spiv,” Walker was the only fit, able-bodied man of military age in Walmington-on-Sea’s Home Guard. His absence from the regular armed forces was due to a corned beef allergy"

Image11_WEB.jpg

Interesting that the only character with the pencil mo was a black marketeer and draft dodger

Bustercat said:
Why do you think "lip caterpillars" got a stigma of creepyness and tastelessness? I think it's clear John Waters wears his because of that, not in spite of it.

Is it simply a case of an era becoming unfashionable, or because of a specific individual or event?
One thing is that while a pencil mustache in film was often associated with the dashing young man and the dapper dandy. However, to me it seems that over time in film we see the pencil mustache worn more and more by: the unscupulous, the tawdry sport, and the terminally fussy narcissist. So it is a case of impression from film and moving out of fashion. It's akin to when people pick a hairstyle from their youth and not change it for the rest of their lives, as the style is left behind the man becomes an object of derision for it.
Some fashions actually don't go away other fade but are recycled at some point with minor changes.

In the film "The Bank Dick" the unscrupulous stock salesman wears a pencil mustache.

\/\/\/\/
Actually that might be a cool project here to have members post and build a list of pencil mustache film charactors with who it is , date of release, and hero or villian to see if it does change over time.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Bustercat said:
wealthy but irrelevant
This is how I will describe myself from now on, although I also like John's "tawdry... and terminally fussy narcissist."

lol

Edit: I have to say that reviewing the picture of myself from last May on the page beore this one, I am astounded at how bad I looked just after my stay in the hospital. What a low point that was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot