Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

People going crazy for Leather Jackets

zhz

Practically Family
When I am selling on ebay, I always go fro a fixed price with best offer. For auction, I just quit when I see the people with zero feedback involved and the price goes crazy, but keep watching the item, sometimes, it will be relisted if the zero feedback wins.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
yeah, Buyers remorse will set in for this guy eventually.

I just cant believe people have that kind of coin lying around.

I bought a WWII Hat from a seller Brad_Pric and it was 5.99 and he didnt respond. (sellers name should have been my first clue he was a phony account)

Im in a case right now and I should have known better with his 3 Sales and one sentance description.

I took the low starting bid as bait and was the only one fool enough to fall hook line and sinker.

Lesson learned, now I have more respect for *good* Ebay sellers and buyers alike.

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
When I am selling on ebay, I always go fro a fixed price with best offer. For auction, I just quit when I see the people with zero feedback involved and the price goes crazy, but keep watching the item, sometimes, it will be relisted if the zero feedback wins.

Dont know about you but I had zero feedback at onetime.;) I started my bidding on something I wanted, won it and paid for the item.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I've found that simply being friendly, courteous, asking detailed questions as a buyer, respecting a seller's listing price, and listing your products honestly are the ABCs of ebaying. It's honestly beyond me as to why people on there are so full of themselves.

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
I couldn't agree more, Nick. I also think that those are the ABC's of life in general ...
And after reading this thread, I feel better and better about that 20% I give to my friend's wife to sell my gear on eBay! If she wanted 30%, I'd say that'd be fine.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm a buyer & a seller and have to be honest that in the last ten years + or so of e-bay trading most of my experiences have been overwhelmingly positive. I have been bitten (rarely) & hopefully learnt from and safeguarded against those experiences. I've traded honestly I believe as a seller & buyer (feedback reflects this) & as a buyer I've been given opportunity via BIN or general auction to obtain some nice pieces (some expensive..some I'd view as absolute bargains).

Recently I've been Executor to an estate which has involved auctions of military items from the American Civil War..through WW2 to present day (made the UK Times Newspaper) much ££££ / $$$ paid to the auction house..makes e-bay look like a bargain.

I'm thankful for the event of e-bay but must admit to having enjoyed trading on this & other sites more :)

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I made an opening bid on this item and the second bidder is "private listing bidder's identities protected"? This is the first time I've seen that. It doesn't seem polite somehow.

what_does_this_mean.jpg

AviatorBRZ

Familiar Face
This is a "Private Listing". All bidders will appear this way.
According eBay description:
"When to use a private listing
While there are some cases where private listings are appropriate, such as the sale of high-priced ticket items or approved pharmaceutical products, you should only make your listing private if you have a specific reason."

Why to use this kind of listing appears to be a little obscure. Keep ur eyes open.

Silverpoint

New in Town
Question for you eBay jacket sellers- do you use a mannequin of some sort to shoot images of your jacket? Do you think this helps to communicate better what you are offering?

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Silverpoint said:
Question for you eBay jacket sellers- do you use a mannequin of some sort to shoot images of your jacket? Do you think this helps to communicate better what you are offering?
Dinerman said:
I do. Clear presentation makes all the difference.
Absolutely!

I find myself sometimes gravitating to listings with good photography, and avoiding ones with bad photography. I have had to train myself to look beyond.

mihai

A-List Customer
Very informative posts, I really enjoyed reading these "behind the scenes" things.
Although I am on eBay since 2009, my experience is kind of limited, being related only to buying. I consider selling on eBay too much of a hassle. Also the Europe "used" market is not comparable to the US one).

Speaking about eBay I have some simple principles:
- I am there to buy interesting/useful things (no adrenaline rush for me, except maybe my first few auctions)
- since the beginning: set a max bid for an item - how much that worth for me. An example:
I was watching these briefcases: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-US-Air-Force-MB-1-Navigational-Brief-Cases-/281373913946
I was really interested in them, my max bid was 120. Instead I got around 30. The one in the back is new(has the tag inside smth California...). The other slightly used. The same is with other items, even if I happened to pay small amounts of money, they actually do worth more for me. If the package wouldn't make it, the insurance compensation would be in vain.

- if I loose there's no big deal, others will come (as one friend of mine used to say). Also if an auction ended at price X, you have no way to know what was the max bid limit. So no point of getting frustrated for apparently loosing for few bucks.
- carefully review the feedback of the seller
- get informed on what I'm about to buy/bid on. This is very tough. For example I am amazed how many listings for (jackets, shirts, coats) lack smth fundamental as the measurements. Most of these listings offer instead vague indications like :I am 6' 2" and fits me fine / looks about a medium / I wear 40 in suits and fits me fine. Also condition is not very well described (has it mothing, smells, stains, rips...?). Every time I need to write an email and hope the seller will reply. Nick123 said in a post that "being friendly, courteous, asking detailed questions as a buyer". I am not sure things go this way. There are plenty of sellers that seem somehow bothered by questions and do not answer or for a multiple questions inquiry are replying: <<20" , everything is fine>>. Most customer-friendly sellers are in North America by far(they really know how to do biznis), followed by UK , DE and others.

As others were pointing eBay is overall a positive thing. As a buyer it allowed me to access things I've never heard of before. I don't have to accept the mainstream crap found everywhere. It educated me in a way. As a seller I guess it offers you a broader market.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Here's an old B15 which just sold. It was banged up and heavily stained. Bidding started at $20 but then someone came in at $300 and it went up to $455.

783119820_o.jpg

783120142_o.jpg

b15_bidding.png

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Here's an old B15 which just sold. It was banged up and heavily stained. Bidding started at $20 but then someone came in at $300 and it went up to $455.

783119820_o.jpg

783120142_o.jpg

b15_bidding.png

In truth, that's actually a bargain now for a B-15C. They've skyrocketed in price over the last few years. If you want an original you have to pay the money, good examples in medium to larger sizes are well over $US1,000 now.

I nearly pulled the trigger on a 44 mint one a month or two back but having just bought a house in Norway new jacket purchases are going to have to wait a bit!

trapp

Practically Family
There may be a simple explanation, but the bidding history above (and others like it) puzzles me. The bidder o***u came in at $300, then incrementally increased his own bid five times in a row in the last two minutes of the auction without competitive prompting from another bidder. Does that simply imply restlessness on his part that he hadn't bid high enough to win an auction that he very much wanted to win? I don't bid on ebay often, so I may be missing some legitimate angle, but it just seems counterproductive for the bidder to keep driving up the price on his own.

AviatorBRZ

Familiar Face
There may be a simple explanation, but the bidding history above (and others like it) puzzles me. The bidder o***u came in at $300, then incrementally increased his own bid five times in a row in the last two minutes of the auction without competitive prompting from another bidder. Does that simply imply restlessness on his part that he hadn't bid high enough to win an auction that he very much wanted to win? I don't bid on ebay often, so I may be missing some legitimate angle, but it just seems counterproductive for the bidder to keep driving up the price on his own.

Actually you can't outbid yourself. All you can do is increase your Max Bid.
The picture above doesn't show the "Automatic Bids", so he was trying to outbid the "8***a" user, and the user 8***a was placing incrementals automatically according to his Max Bid.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Actually you can't outbid yourself. All you can do is increase your Max Bid.
The picture above doesn't show the "Automatic Bids", so he was trying to outbid the "8***a" user, and the user 8***a was placing incrementals automatically according to his Max Bid.

Well, yes, you cannot outbid yourself. But there was a glitch on Ebay a few years ago which I did outbid myself by increasing my max bid (and eventually nobody out bided me), it was only 1 or 2 pounds though. Over the years, I have had only a few unhappy incidents early on, that was the time when buyer protection was not in place. I think I am getting slightly smarter these days. The other thing is that, I am using ebay more as more as a 'buy it now' shop than an auctioning site these days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails