Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

People going crazy for Leather Jackets

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Well, yes, you cannot outbid yourself. But there was a glitch on Ebay a few years ago which I did outbid myself by increasing my max bid (and eventually nobody out bided me), it was only 1 or 2 pounds though. Over the years, I have had only a few unhappy incidents early on, that was the time when buyer protection was not in place. I think I am getting slightly smarter these days. The other thing is that, I am using ebay more as more as a 'buy it now' shop than an auctioning site these days.

Yep, 'Buy it now' or nothing for me these days; I can't take the disappointment of waking up in the morning to see I was outbid.

mihai

A-List Customer
In truth, that's actually a bargain now for a B-15C. They've skyrocketed in price over the last few years. If you want an original you have to pay the money, good examples in medium to larger sizes are well over $US1,000 now.

I nearly pulled the trigger on a 44 mint one a month or two back but having just bought a house in Norway new jacket purchases are going to have to wait a bit!
I'd better pay 1000 for one in better condition than 450 for a trashed one like this. And who knows what was the maximum amount of the winner. I reached a saturation level (in terms of storage, time to wear them). If I buy I am prepared to pay smth more (though not obscene prices) but to get a better quality. As I said I can not afford purchasing stuff I can not wear. It is above my means.
What makes B-15C that special to be worthing 4-5 times compared to a N-2A?
I see there is a general consensus that earlier issues are more high quality but there is not always the case. Here are some personal examples:
- MA-1 Dobbs 8279A vs MA-1 Alpha from '68(slash pockets). Guess which feels more durable, has thicker nylon, wool pile, better zippers? The '68 one. I don't mind orange lining.
- N-2A (2 pieces, both synthetic fur trim) compared to Alpha N-2B '63(fur trim). Build quality, materials, feel, atention to details? The '63 one.
- prized G1 jackets from 50s, 60s and an Imperial from '76 (prob cowhide but really thick leather). Guess which is more sturdier better looking? The '76 one.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
- prized G1 jackets from 50s, 60s and an Imperial from '76 (prob cowhide but really thick leather). Guess which is more sturdier better looking? The '76 one.

What size are you? I've got a '74 Imperial for sale, size 48.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails