Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Perfectly Perfect Pants

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
Thanks Sachet

Sachet,

No problem at all. Thanks for the tip, have a few places in mind so will check it out. Still have to find time to find where I have the pattern stored. Will have a look soon and then post details.

Cheers

Peter

Happy Stroller

One of the Regulars
My trousers are something like that in the picture. But I order them in pairs, one with suspender buttons and one with belt loops. Other possible variations are with cuffs and without cuffs, for example.

Don't know Shanghai Jack, he must have been a member ages ago.

But I can understand his predicament. Imagine you'd probably have to coordinate the production of 20 pairs of pants with several tailors (because they do not have a deep and wide range of fabrics on their own), all of whom you have to take some risk with the initial order before you know how capable they are, because there are quite a lot of details you really need to specify pretty clearly if you don't want funny things done or not done to a pair of pants. And all the risks for the sake of doing a favour to many, many members for free. Not only do you need a member who has free time, but is willing to subsidize you quite substantially!

matei

One Too Many
I had two pairs of high-waisted trousers made up a few months ago. They don't have a Hollywood waist or drop loops. I couldn't quite get this concept across to my tailor.

However I did show him a few pics of vintage trousers, and he managed to get the lower part right. They're not tapered, they have a long fly and come up pretty high.

The cuff circumference is pretty wide, and they're cuffed as well. Close enough until I get a better repro pair or score something in my size!

When I showed him the pic of the trousers (on their own, from Marc Chevalier's collection), he said "ahhh, you want trousers like your grandfather wore" and had an idea what to do.

At first he didn't understand - he thought that I wanted bellbottoms!

GOK

One Too Many
Hello chaps! :D

Several things come to mind reading this thread; firstly you are so funny! When we ladies get a pattern we need to copy, we just do it! We use our pattern tissue and trace an exact copy. None of this taking it to printers malarky or using CAD! lol

Secondly, $150 for bespoke trousers is very reasonable. I'd be charging at least $200 a pair.

Thirdly - 3PieceSuitGuy, did the pattern ever get found?

Fourthly, are you chaps familiar with Rocacha?

http://www.rocacha.com/trousers.htm

Salv

One Too Many
GOK said:
Fourthly, are you chaps familiar with Rocacha?

http://www.rocacha.com/trousers.htm

Oh, yes - I've been championing Rocacha since my very first post on the Lounge, and I mention them every chance I get. I love their stuff - I got married in a Rocacha suit, and I've still got suits, trousers and shirts that I bought from them in the 80s when they had the stall in Kensington Market, including this herringbone DB:
Image-0B5C06B36E1D11DA.jpg

I had this suit made up about this time last year:
DSCN1424.jpg
DSCN1431.jpg

And I got these trousers in the summer:
DSCN1459.jpg

I found these photos of the interior of the Rock-A-Cha stall out on the web; they originally appeareed in The Face in about 1981:
kmkt9.JPG
kmkt8.JPG

The youngster holding the record is Rob Crossley, who still runs Rocacha, and the kid with the guitar is Jay Strongman - my wife had such a crush on Jay...

GOK

One Too Many
What a wonderful blast from the past! Thank you Salv! So sad that KM is no longer there. I was modelling at the BBC and the RCA in the early 80s and used to go to the market every week! I have very fond memories of it.

Do you know Witchety's? it was a cocktail bar just around the corner. I don't know if it is still there. They named one of their cocktails after me! :D

Salv

One Too Many
GOK said:
What a wonderful blast from the past! Thank you Salv! So sad that KM is no longer there. I was modelling at the BBC and the RCA in the early 80s and used to go to the market every week! I have very fond memories of it.

Do you know Witchety's? it was a cocktail bar just around the corner. I don't know if it is still there. They named one of their cocktails after me! :D

O/T and nostalgia warning! The Market was my favourite place for shopping in London at the time. Not only was Rock-A-Cha there, but Johnsons had a stall, and there was endless, cheap American vintage. Plus there was Chicken Shack, run by Jesse Birdsall, selling bootleg doo-wop 45s, James Lebon's barbers, and a stall run by Gaz Mayall, John Mayall's son and the founder of Gaz's Rockin' Blues. I had a flyer for the very first Gaz's Rockin' Blues, but it got lost in a house move. My wife was a regular at Red Or Dead and had lots of their dresses, which may still be up in the loft somewhere, unless they got lost in the move as well. Happy times. There's a PC World there now.

I've found the same sort of spirit in the Portobello Green market on a Saturday now. Lots of young designers, lots of vintage (mostly 60s and 70s now though) and a real sense of excitement. The new clothes aren't really to my taste, but I can appreciate what the designers are doing and my daughter loves it there. I did pick up a nice cardigan a few months back though...

The Rock-A-Cha photos are here with the other photos from the Face article. That whole site is worth a look if you were into early 80s youth culture BTW. I think you might find much there to enjoy...:)

I don't remember Witchety's I'm afraid - what was in the cocktail?

MissHuff

A-List Customer
GOK said:

Several things come to mind reading this thread; firstly you are so funny! When we ladies get a pattern we need to copy, we just do it! We use our pattern tissue and trace an exact copy. None of this taking it to printers malarky or using CAD! lol

Men... they find the most complicated way to do EVERYTHING. lol.

My question for all of you gents is... If you DO finally come across that perfect pair of pants do all of your other pants become inadequate in comparison?... Well Scott wants 20 pairs so I guess I just answered my own question lol. Please do keep us all updated on your quests for the perfect pants and the not-so ones you come across. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Pretty close

I have one pair of nearly perfect pants, and another pair that are perfect for what they are (military issue).

And yes, the rest are just stuff to throw on now, but they are necessary. Can't just rotate two pairs of pants! :D

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Perfect pants pystery...

I just got a perfectly perfect pair of pants-
they are mint condition, military, WW2 era- a strange hybrid of British and German;

British, green denim fatigue cloth, made up in a totally German style as Ski/Mountain trousers, with '40s vintage "RiRi" (Swiss) zippers on the front pockets, German glass fly and suspender buttons and typical German buttonholes. BUT, I say, a British military issue WD stamp in the waistband-

A real puzzle, wrapped inside an thingy, as Churchill and Baron Kurz would say.

A perfect mystery in pants- yet to be untwined...

Wrong forum though, innit...

B
T

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
They sound intriguing BT, any chance of posting a pic?

These wouldn't be for your 30s/40s alpinist gear would they ;)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Could be...

OK- mountain trousers... British Army green denim... a little of the US mountain trousers, a little of the LW tropical Überfallhose...
dc4a_3.jpg

...and very German... check that watch pocket and ring and the RiRis
dedf_3.jpg

...and the weird clincher... WD
e3fb_3.jpg

...mysterious...

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member