Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

perfecto. horsehide or steerhide

joshnd1978

New in Town
hey all. just joined and i had a quick question. i was interested in a schott perfecto and was curious which you would recommend..horsehide or the standard steerhide? horsehide is more expensive, so is it worth the price? i do ride, so which is more practical for the bike?

any help would be greatly appreciated

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
Horsehide is the perfect motorcycle leather in my opinion. I do 10,000 miles a year in all weather but snow and ice and the perfecto was a solid riding jacket. If money isn't the issue I would go with horsehide every time. I had a 118 Pefecto for a decade before it shrunk on me, great jacket and served me well.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Horse doesn't tear, along with goat it is the toughest of hides. It costs more, not becasue it's so good, but because horse is harder to get hold of these days. The beef industry ensures that cowhide remains ubiqitous.

Horse is practically worshipped on this site. The classic 1930-40's half-belts and WWII A2's were generally made of horse. Some people believe that horse ages more beautifully. There are others who say that there's really not all that much difference between the two hides. It's personal choice. Around here a preference for horse seems to win out most times. Every place has its biases.

normanf

One of the Regulars
For any kind of outdoor activity, you want a leather jacket that looks as good as the day you bought it.

Horsehide does seem to fit the bill for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou