Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Period movie soundtracks

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
I just recently decided to review my collection of period movie soundtracks (meaning movies that have featured popular, period music between 1920 and 1939), and was wondering how many I don't have yet...I was wondering if I could impose upon FL members to contribute to my list of music, as a reference...to date, this is what I do have:

The Aviator
Baseball (Ken Burns)
Bugsy
Changeling
Cinderella Man
Der Untergang
Eight Men Out
Fallout 3 video game
Gangs of New York
Leadbelly
Leatherheads
Miller’s Crossing
Oh Brother, where art thou?
Public Enemies
Ragtime
Road to Perdition
The Good German
The Green Mile
The Shawshank Redemption

I have many, many other television and movie soundtracks in my collection of various genres, but these are the ones that feature songs or themes from the select years between 1920 and 1939. Sorry if this has been posted before; I could not find a specific reference via search.
Rob

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
It's not from the period you named, but I'd nevertheless recommed the theme for The Third Man (1949). Anton Karas' zither score is my favourite score ever as it immediately sets the scene for Vienna and mystery without going for the obvious waltz.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I am susprised you found it. No CD of the soundtrack exists. The only reason I have it is because I painstakingly tracked down each and every single track over the internet.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Shangas said:
I am susprised you found it. No CD of the soundtrack exists. The only reason I have it is because I painstakingly tracked down each and every single track over the internet.

Rapidshare is my friend....;) ...my copy has 36 tracks total....
Rob

TheLimey

Familiar Face
Bioshock but not so much the official soundtrack as the collection of all the vintage tunes. I'm not sure but I think their more from the fifties...

Another one not to miss is the soundtrack fron "Swing Kids".

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Are these soundtracks made for a period film, or period correct soundtracks that are tandem with the period film?

Because a lot of the soundtracks you listed, and I have quite a few of them, Ive always considered contemporary soundtracks paired with a period film. The Shawshank Redemption is the first one I think of.

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I still have the LP soundtrack album for "Paper Moon," which I got when I was eleven years old -- featuring all the great 78s used as background scoring in that film. Still the best vintage-type soundtrack album I've ever heard. If it's never been reissued on CD, it ought to be.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
GhostSoldier,

Including original (as well as period) tracks, I think the Mafia soundtrack clocks in at 40-something peces of music.

Finished counting.

42 tracks.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
Because a lot of the soundtracks you listed, and I have quite a few of them, Ive always considered contemporary soundtracks paired with a period film. The Shawshank Redemption is the first one I think of.

LD

LD,
Yes...that is what I am looking for: soundtracks that use period music that are paired with contemporary music for current-made period-style movies (Road to Perdition, Cinderella Man, Shawshank are examples)(does that make sense?). These are in contrast to pure period music pieces that are used in current movies, such as The Aviator or Leadbelly, or soundtracks that are made to sound period but are purely new creations, like Leatherheads or Eight Men Out.

Shangas,
I suspect my version is a game-ripped soundtrack, using the software that separates the audio track from the video; mine has no period songs on it, just the ambient background tracks. Does yours have any period songs?
Rob

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
THE STING

Great soundtrack to have period accurate or not. Phenomenal Scott Joplin riffs.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Ghostsoldier said:
Shangas,
I suspect my version is a game-ripped soundtrack, using the software that separates the audio track from the video; mine has no period songs on it, just the ambient background tracks. Does yours have any period songs?
Rob

I've got the entire soundtrack. It comprises of recordings done by Louie Armstrong, Django Reinhardt, Duke Ellington, The Mills Brothers and Louis Prima. It also includes all the original music, recorded for the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko