Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

personal affects

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I've been putting together my persona of gentleman adventurer; "The Wolf" for a while. I decided he would have a bald pate and dark hair like Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot, glasses: like Johnny of the Doc Savage pulps, married: like Dashiell Hammet's Nick Charles and have moved to the sleepy little town of Santa Rosa from Hitchcock's "Shadow of a Doubt".

To show my commitment I've moved to Santa Rosa, I got married, wear glasses and went so far as start losing my hair. Now I've put together some outfits but I need help with the pocket litter. I've got appropriate coins, memo pad and pen, vintage matchbooks and reproductions. All sorts of personal effects.

Here's where I need your help. I'd rather carry "strike anywhere" match sticks in a water proof container for my vest pocket, but don't know what would be period. I also wondered what sort of containers to use for a pocket fingerprint kit. All suggestions are welcome.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Hey, Wildroot
I just got the vintage penlight on which I had bid on e-bay.
I'm glad you reccomended it. I don't know why I didn't think of e-bay in the first place.
Thanks for the suggestion.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Bogie- eBay's brill for vintage sunglasses too- of course. I've picked up quite a few pair of vintage aviators under:
clothing,shoes, accessories/vintage/mens and womens accessories/sunglasses or eyeglasses. there's always plenty of other dtyles too, like the round celluloid framed ones. It's always good to just do a text search under all categories too because people list some absolute classic items in completely wrong categories- WW2 flight jacket for $25 for instance!
BTank.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Originally posted by The Wolf
..........and have moved to the sleepy little town of Santa Rosa from Hitchcock's "Shadow of a Doubt".

To show my commitment I've moved to Santa Rosa......

WOW. I bet you have located the house used in the film "Shadow of a Doubt" and could snap a pic or two of the sights used in the film..ie. "Til Two" bar, and the old Bank of America building at the old town center.

I have wanted to go up there to do just that!

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I have seen the house but much has changed since the movie was made. About the only sights recognizable from the film are the house on McDonald Avenue and the train station (which is now a visitor's center). The downtown area has changed drastically and the old Carnegie library Charlie goes to has been torn down.

P.S. If you are planning on going through the area let me know. I'll show you sights, such as they are.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Looking at the film again I see that Santa Rosa is still recognizable.
The Bank of America building is still standing (with its recognizable clock tower) but is no longer a bank.
Some of downtown where Charlie is walking with her uncle (when he had on that nice white Panama hat) is still around.
The train station area has changed very little, including where uncle tried to throw Charlie off the moving train.
As previously mentioned the house (including THE garage) and neighborhood are essentially unchanged.

SappySwami

Familiar Face
Lived in Santa Rosa all my life, and never went looking for these places. I haven't even seen the movie! There's something for me to do over winter break, I guess. Which house is it on McDonald ave.? I live more or less across the street from there.

And, I don't think Santa Rosa has been "sleepy" since the movie was made. ;)

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Firstly, Sappy, shame on you for not seeing the movie. It is available on VHS and DVD. Rent it soon.
The address is 904 McDonald. It's the white house on the corner.
We should have some fellow loungers join us to see the sights of Santa Rosa and the sites of the film.
Everybody let me know if that sounds like a good idea.

Yours sincerely,
The Wolf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy