Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peterman Duster?

mga1500

New in Town
What do you folks think of the Peterman Duster? I had one a few years ago, got rid of it, people really did follow me down the street to ask where I got it. I'm thinking of getting one again but want to know if this time the crowd will be following me or chasing me.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Well, since you asked...

Just my opinion, but I think the Peterman duster and the waxed cotton Australian versions look like an affectation or a costume unless you're on a horse in a rainstorm.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Not a thing wrong with that...

He asked for an opinion and I gave him one. He should wear whatever floats his boat.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I like mine. It is like wearing a full tent in the rain. You cannot get wet. And thats all I care about. People can follow me or think I'm a kook. What do I care?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Personally, I tend to have a list of things I want / need to get. I try and wait until they're on sale, then I order / buy them. You have to judge the monetary cost of the item with respect to the other stuff you want to get. I especially hate it when a bunch of stuff goes on sale at the same time.

Looks like a good coat though.

Later

dr greg

One Too Many
horses 4

As the man said, they are designed for sitting on a horse in the rain, so for any outside activity involving wet weather (apart from heavy labour) they are excellent: I had an old Drizabone for years when I hitch-hiked around a lot, and as a groundsheet etc it was fantastic, and without compare for standing at some turnoff on a rainy night, but for a city-dweller who can just get on a bus if it's wet outside......up to you really.

frussell

One Too Many
Not a rain coat

So far as I could tell, the Peterman duster is not waxed, nor is it any kind of oilcloth. It just looks to be a canvas duster, which will soak up rain and weigh about 30 pounds when wet. Yes, it's made for horsemen, but it's not a raincoat. I've got a similar one, and I find that I only wear it when it's really cold outside, and I need some extra warmth on my legs, horseback or not. It's nice looking, and if you don't mind looking like one of the "Long Riders," can be very useful. Whatever you can pull off. Frank

James71

A-List Customer
Ive got two drizabones, one short and one long. (actually now that I think of it I have two long ones).

I love them. Wear them very often. Not really a patch on the flash goretex that I got for serious outdoor expeditions, but for general use they are fantastic.

Get a lined one and they are warm too. No wind gets in when they are all done up.

guitarman

New in Town
Re;

Im not familiar with the original poster's brand that he asked about, but I have 2 full-length oilskin drovers-a brown one made by the JK Korral Co. from Australia, and a black one made bythe Austalian Outback Collection from Canada. I have matching hats for each color. I think that most people who see me are a bit intimadated-here comes this guy, 6' 2"", 240 lbs; wearing a big, wide brimmed hat, and full length coat, with long hair and beard !! Maybe it keeps the urchins away !! I love Aussie clothing, especially oilskin coats and hats. Hope to get an oilskin vest very soon !!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
A true duster is - as the name suggests - for keeping the dust off your suit when riding in the country. They are useless in the rain. Ideal for Clint Eastwood films of the spagetti kind.

As for Drizabones - I have two brilliant ones, but not the "Man from Snowy River" horsey sort. Driza also make excellent utility jackets like those made by Barbour.

I personally think it is a rare person who doesn't look like a tool wearing horse riding gear in the city. It may help to be built like a wrestler...

frussell

One Too Many
Oilskin

I've owned many oilskin type dusters and a few vests, especially useful when I lived in Houston, where it rains a good bit. Once I moved out to the California desert, I found out why nobody out here wears oilskin. The first time I wore my great oilskin vest on an El Nino day when the showers cleared and the sun came out, I was in instant hell. The oil heated up and bled through onto everything else I was wearing, and it was like having a hot piece of baloney on my back. By the time I returned from my ride, guiding tourists up into our local canyons on horses, I looked like the greasy paper bag full of tacos that someone left in my car once. Nasty. I do agree that it's difficult not to look like a "tool" in any kind of drover's coat in the city. People tend to regard me with a mixture of uneasiness and fear, like I may pull out a shotgun or some Uzis and start running up the walls like a Matrix character. I think the lighter colored dusters tend to look less villainous. I sure miss the old tan cotton one I had from Banana Republic, it was light and versatile. Good luck, Frank

James71

A-List Customer
guitarman said:
I love Aussie clothing, especially oilskin coats and hats. Hope to get an oilskin vest very soon !!

An oilskin vest is a fantastic piece of outdoor wear. I have had this one for 18 years and its holding up strong.

newenglad.jpg

guitarman

New in Town
Re;

Im not sure I know what you mean by "tool", but no big cities round here-lots of farms, country side and country folk-yes, I get looks from people like, "who's this guy think he is-Clint Eastwood?", but while they are wet and freezing, I'm dry and warm. I dont own a horse, but I own oilskin, and I love it !! Asa a matter of fact, I had to break out the oilskin hat this evening to walk to the parade in the rain, and the rain rolled off like water off a ducks back !!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Here's an early photo of Peterman wearing his first duster, posted recently on the company's instagram account. The company called Schaefer Outfitter implies strongly that other copy their coats, which are identical to Peterman's. Which came first?

57257145_113859136481376_3129970282380056689_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran