Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phoenix Hat Company

humanshoes

One Too Many
I thought I recognized that sweat band. I've been using those sweats in my conversions for the last few years now. After JW passed away another hatter bought out his sweat band business. I'm still using them and buying them from the guy who makes them now. They're the most comfortable and softest sweats I've ever worn....and they can take a lot of abuse. I've taken those sweats out of my hats, reworked them, sewn 'em back into other hats, got 'em wet, stretched 'em out, and they still keep going and they're still soft and comfortable. I have yet to experience any problems with them. The guy who puts those sweats together still uses soft goat skin leather. It's a lot better sweat than one which was used in my only custom made hat, which was a thicker and stiffer calf leather sweat. I think Woodtroll's going to get a lot of comfortable wear out of it with no worries.
I agree with you T. JW assured me that his goatskin sweatbands would never shrink like the others and that has proven to be true for me. I haven't ordered sweats from the new guy, but I assume and hope they are of the same fine quality.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I agree with you T. JW assured me that his goatskin sweatbands would never shrink like the others and that has proven to be true for me. I haven't ordered sweats from the new guy, but I assume and hope they are of the same fine quality.
They haven't changed a bit, buddy. They're just as nice as they always were.

Here's the picture you requested Brent. Natural Beaver with 1 1/2" dark navy ribbon. The brim is 2 1/2" and the height is 4 3/4" at the front crease. The customer wears mostly white button down shirts and bluejeans, but I believe the hat will cross over nicely to tan or dark blue suits as well.
View attachment 132416
That is a fantastic hat, Rick. Lovely colours and great proportions. A beauty.

RJR

Welllll, once I looked the hat over I immediately decided Rick was the one to build me a dressier hat, an honest-to-goodness-snapped-up-in-the-back-and-everything fedora dress hat. Everything I've owned to this point has been snapped down back and front, as that's just the way I started wearing my hats years ago and I feel a little pretentious in a snapped-up fedora. The Lounge has given me the courage to try one out! He's going to see if he can get a 3" brim out of a dress-weight body before we proceed further. I know that's pushing normal dress hat limits, but again there's the big-head proportion issue to consider. You were right, Rick provides fantastic value for the money! I swear this will be last one! ;)
:rolleyes:

Thanks steur. It was fun to make a nice, simple hat for a change. Nothing fancy, but it should be good for generations of hard use.

I’m not a big fan of leather hat bands, but this one got my attention. A nice full-grain leather done simply but also with attention to the details. That’s the kind of hat that gets passed down through the generations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another PERFECT hat from Rick. My Winchester beaver black cherry arrived yesterday and I couldn’t be any happier. The details are just what I had asked for and the execution was flawless. The pouncing was top notch, but the felt was a bit stiffer than I had hoped for; this seems to be an issue with Winchester and not Rick. I was warned that the hat was on the stiff side, but I’m sure the felt will mellow with time and use. The fit was spot on and very comfortable.

6b0aa234548936f70ca10fe2463d4b20.jpg

79c248186954636d75ff96729fb686fa.jpg

7feab9a137689366ade30b212b274cf2.jpg

fe2720ee1666325c0c4bfaa787d7c12a.jpg

25f90a5dba177770767b76d91eca8dbf.jpg

9bdb8befecb0c9396a5ec02101c9e2d2.jpg

9eb2aba8125f09a6d847f61e64719792.jpg

I’m still working on the crease, but the dense felt isn’t putting up a fuss.

I can’t say enough good things about Rick and the quality and value of my Phoenix Hat Company hats.

humanshoes

One Too Many
I gotta say you ROCK that hat Brent. Thank you very much for your positive response and, of course, I'm thrilled that you're happy with the new lid. My biggest problem right now is that you guys keep coming up with these cool ideas for custom hats and I always want to make a duplicate for myself.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Another PERFECT hat from Rick. My Winchester beaver black cherry arrived yesterday and I couldn’t be any happier. The details are just what I had asked for and the execution was flawless. The pouncing was top notch, but the felt was a bit stiffer than I had hoped for; this seems to be an issue with Winchester and not Rick. I was warned that the hat was on the stiff side, but I’m sure the felt will mellow with time and use. The fit was spot on and very comfortable.

I can’t say enough good things about Rick and the quality and value of my Phoenix Hat Company hats.

Very nice hat, Brent, and another great job, Rick! Glad this one finally found its way home! It doesn’t show up well in any of the photos due to the angle, but I think this is the hat that Rick matched the binding thread to the hatband ribbon? That was a really slick touch.

I hope you get some cooler days soon so you can really enjoy it!

Very nice hat, Brent, and another great job, Rick! Glad this one finally found its way home! It doesn’t show up well in any of the photos due to the angle, but I think this is the hat that Rick matched the binding thread to the hatband ribbon? That was a really slick touch.

I hope you get some cooler days soon so you can really enjoy it!

Thanks, Regan. This is indeed the hat with the brim binding thread that matches the burgundy ribbon. The binding is also the thinnest I’ve ever received and I don’t think that Rick wants to do one that thin again. I’m fine with slightly wider brim binding in the future.

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Very nice, Brent! What are specs for the brim width and open crown height on this one?

My black cherry is a lot more red... I still want a black cherry that is more black like this one.

Very nice, Brent! What are specs for the brim width and open crown height on this one?

My black cherry is a lot more red... I still want a black cherry that is more black like this one.

Thanks. I’d love to have one of the black cherry hats that’s more cherry than black, but it’s my understanding that Winchester no longer makes it.

This hat has an open crown of just a breath under six inches and the brim is 2 5/8 inches.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Natural beaver with navy ribbon in the Tennessee morning sun. It's so beautiful here I want to put this hat on and play hooky from the day job.
View attachment 132467

That settles it! I will go with the Natural beaver for my next one, Rick. I was torn between Granite and Natural, but I have several browns already, and want something that is more gray, with just a touch of tan/brown. From the pictures I've seen comparing all the colors, is it fair to say that the Natural has a little more brown than just a plain gray/silver?

I am LOVING the Pecan "Trekker" hat, so I want to get you to make this next one for me before you forget how you did the crown on this one ;); it is perfect!

I will email you shortly.

humanshoes

One Too Many
That settles it! I will go with the Natural beaver for my next one, Rick. I was torn between Granite and Natural, but I have several browns already, and want something that is more gray, with just a touch of tan/brown. From the pictures I've seen comparing all the colors, is it fair to say that the Natural has a little more brown than just a plain gray/silver?

I am LOVING the Pecan "Trekker" hat, so I want to get you to make this next one for me before you forget how you did the crown on this one ;); it is perfect!

No problem Regan. I just emailed you a picture of a lightweight western body that have in stock. It's pure beaver in natural and might be perfect for the dimensions you're looking for.

Regan, this dress weigh beaver in natural is a pretty accurate rendering of the color in natural light:

e2499c440704e8fe0751c70dbc51a4f5.png

Natural is a wonderful color and very versatile. I think an actual gray hat would be better if you were looking for a dress hat, but it’s hard to beat natural for a casual hat.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Thanks, Brent, I appreciate the picture. I never wear actual suits except to funerals, and thankfully I am not ever likely to do a job interview again, so my "dress" clothes are normally limited to a little more casual attire such as an occasional sport coat, but more usually nicer "britches" and a button-up shirt. I guess my concept of a "dress hat" is relative to that. Rick has found me a mid-weight Natural pure beaver he had hiding in a corner somewhere, with plenty of brim, so my timing is perfect for once in my life!

I really like Granite felt too, but don't have an excuse for yet another brownish hat... yet. And I promised this would be my last one, although I'm not sure RJR believed me a few posts above. :D I actually read back through the board looking for photos with Natural, Granite, and Silverbelly together to get an idea of relative colors in the same light, and I found a couple of sets of pictures you had with Granite and Natural together.

Take care,
Regan

Rick, I’m curious what ever became of the one FEPSA hat body you received. Did you make someone (hopefully yourself) a hat with it or do you have other plans for it? I’m also curious if you ever ordered the flecked fur hat body from Agnoulita and is so what plans you have for it. My devious mind is grinding gears.

Thanks!
Brent

humanshoes

One Too Many
Rick, I’m curious what ever became of the one FEPSA hat body you received. Did you make someone (hopefully yourself) a hat with it or do you have other plans for it? I’m also curious if you ever ordered the flecked fur hat body from Agnoulita and is so what plans you have for it. My devious mind is grinding gears.

Thanks!
Brent

I still have the FEPSA body in my stock Brent and I have no definitive plans for it at this point. It may seem silly, but I've enjoyed taking it out and handling it from time to time. I haven't ordered the flecked fur from Agnoulita. Another one of those things I plan to get around to which places it on a very long list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21