Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phoenix Hat Company

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
Thank you, friend, I appreciate that. But all the credit goes to Rick, as I shamelessly asked him to copy this hat for me from one he posted back in August. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person!
I remember that hat, and this one appears to be just as glorious. I can't wait to see it out in the wild.

Ryan
Hat size: 7 1/2

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Okay RM, now your comment has me thinking about future marketing strategies. "Custom hats lovingly handcrafted by drunken elves" Can't miss!
Sounds like my kind of elves. In fact, I do my best work after a few beers, or so.
hf59n3k1xhoz.jpg

A little bit of steam from the ol' tea kettle for a couple of touch ups and it'll be golden!

DesertDan

One Too Many
Y'all may have noticed Rick hasn't been posting much lately. That's because he's been busy perfecting his latest creation, a copy of a hat he posted a couple months back but built to larger proportions to suit my big head. It ships Monday! My Christmas is coming early this year. :D

I hope you all have a great weekend!
Regan

Looks fantastic Regan, Congrats!

humanshoes

One Too Many
Hey, if Keebler can claim they make cookies in a hollow tree, you should be on solid legal footing with that slogan.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.
Sounds like my kind of elves. In fact, I do my best work after a few beers, or so.
hf59n3k1xhoz.jpg

A little bit of steam from the ol' tea kettle for a couple of touch ups and it'll be golden!
Hah! That's a beauty Terry and it doesn't look like you'll even have to break out the rounding jack. Truth be told, I love that hat and want one just like it. I figure it couldn't hurt to bring a little Gandalf magic into the hat shop.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Hah! That's a beauty Terry and it doesn't look like you'll even have to break out the rounding jack. Truth be told, I love that hat and want one just like it. I figure it couldn't hurt to bring a little Gandalf magic into the hat shop.
Ha ha! I have all kinds of hats that turned out looking that! I can't say that they have magical powers, though. If they did, they wouldn't look like that! But after a few beers it doesn't matter. :confused:

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Y'all may have noticed Rick hasn't been posting much lately. That's because he's been busy perfecting his latest creation, a copy of a hat he posted a couple months back but built to larger proportions to suit my big head. It ships Monday! My Christmas is coming early this year. :D

I hope you all have a great weekend!
Regan
Wowww! Ooooooh, and Ahhhhh!

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Brent, that color combo caught my eye right off the bat, so I’m tickled that he had a natural felt body on hand that was big enough for what I was after. Once he told me that, it was a no-brainer.

This hat is roughly 5” to the top of the pinch, as creased, with a 3” brim. A big hat, certainly, but at size 7-3/4 it still looks proportional to me. From the picture alone it looks like a more “average” sized hat. And you know what happens when you put a hat of average dimensions on a big head! ;)

Good luck with your own Christmas presents! At least you know that they are most certainly worth the wait.

Hope you all enjoy a peaceful Sunday,
Regan
What is the cost of that beauty? How long did it take? Wowwwww

humanshoes

One Too Many

Woodtroll

One Too Many
What is the cost of that beauty? How long did it take? Wowwwww

Rick's price sheet is on the third post, first page of this thread. I am not sure if the prices posted there are current, as Brent mentioned some time back there would be a cost increase coming soon. Even if the prices did go up some, you can see they are VERY reasonable. I chose to have this hat done in 100% beaver from a mid-weight Western body he had on hand, so the price upon order was $225 plus shipping. This is only my second order from Rick, but my first hat was exceptionally well made and exactly to the specs I had requested, and so I ordered this one almost immediately upon receipt of the first. Rick quoted 10-12 weeks completion time when I ordered, and he is shipping this one Monday right at the twelve-week mark.

I know Rick still has several outstanding orders, so if you're interested drop Rick a message to discuss current price and time frame. I promise you that whatever you decide on will be very fairly priced and easily worth the wait.

Good luck!
Regan

Do you still have a day job? I assumed you were retired from it. Wow! Mis respetos, Rick.

I’m glad I got in with Phoenix before you found them, Max. Rick’s hats are very nice, but just like your Optimos and VS, they are different than vintage.

Rick is reworking his hat price list for 2019 and we’re all waiting for it. No matter what it will be fair and a great deal.

Luring is the process of impregnating the felt with heated oil, usually coconut oil, in order to replace some of the natural oils the felt loses in the felting process. It makes a small but noticeable difference to the sheen, hand, and pliability. It’s an old technique that not everyone uses. I have Phoenix hats with and without luring and I like the lured felt better.

Rick has a full-time job in addition to making musical instruments, hatters tools, and hats. He’s a busy man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Last edited:

humanshoes

One Too Many
Do you still have a day job? I assumed you were retired from it. Wow! Mis respetos, Rick.

No retirement yet Max. I am the director of an addiction treatment center and find the work too personally rewarding to ever fully retire from. Semi-retirement is right around the corner though. I'm also the proprietor of several other small businesses in addition to the PHC. I do still manage the occasional day on the golf course (your golf course pictures are killing me) or in the mountains with a fly rod in hand, but not nearly as often as I'd like. Gracias por tu respeto! Mis padres inculcaron una fuerte ética de.

Here’s an idea!

Last summer I wanted to get a Phoenix in Blue Smoke beaver (light bluish grey); however, the felt company (Winchester) has a minimum order of 36 hat bodies for that color. Do you think there would be 35 other folks here on the Lounge who would be willing to pony up the cash for one of these special orders? I’m also interested in Limestone if Blue Smoke isn’t your thing but all 36 felts would have to be the same color. I’d suspect the wait time would be...long, but maybe Rick would allow us to pay for the price of the hat body and secure a place in his queue and then when your turn comes up you can pay the balance and get your hat. I don’t even know if Rick would be interested, but I’d love a Fedora Lounge exclusive Phoenix Hat.

Anyone else? Heck, I’m down for both colors if we can get find 70 others to join in (all assuming that Rick can fit that much hat making into his busy life). I’m liking this idea.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Here’s an idea!

Last summer I wanted to get a Phoenix in Blue Smoke beaver (light bluish grey); however, the felt company (Winchester) has a minimum order of 36 hat bodies for that color. Do you think there would be 35 other folks here on the Lounge who would be willing to pony up the cash for one of these special orders? I’m also interested in Limestone if Blue Smoke isn’t your thing but all 36 felts would have to be the same color. I’d suspect the wait time would be...long, but maybe Rick would allow us to pay for the price of the hat body and secure a place in his queue and then when your turn comes up you can pay the balance and get your hat. I don’t even know if Rick would be interested, but I’d love a Fedora Lounge exclusive Phoenix Hat.

Anyone else? Heck, I’m down for both colors if we can get find 70 others to join in (all assuming that Rick can fit that much hat making into his busy life). I’m liking this idea.

What felt company was the Willow color from? I forget

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner