Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phoenix Hat Company

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Very nice. I saw something recently about a Roy Rogers bow...similar to this or a typical OR ribbon but with a wider ribbon, maybe 1/2 or 3/4, and longer tails. Ever seen this?
This one is a Sand western weight 50/50 body Randy. Dan and I decided to go with a narrower 1/2" silverbelly ribbon to better achieve the bowtie/campaign style bow. It's basically my "Arizona" hat with a different ribbon treatment.

Drying on the block!

86b6e5670e83f9edf74ed13a6af60ba0.jpg

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's always encouraging to see a hat at that stage, congratulations! It looks like natural felt? What's it going to be?

It’s actually a beaver in Sahara. The felt will lighten as it dries. 2 3/4” bound brim, 6” open crown, but the rest of the details are yet to be worked out. I’m thinking it will have a brown ribbon of some sort.

humanshoes

One Too Many
A brief pause in the hat making action to build a suitable table for the newest member of the PHC family. An old Singer cast iron treadle base paired with some weathered mahogany boards I had lying around the shop gave me the antique look I was shooting for. Now it's time for this pricey ba***rd to either earn it's keep or get the hell out.
Sweatband Sewing Machine.JPG

Last edited:

Woodtroll

One Too Many
A brief pause in the hat making action to build a suitable table for the newest member of the PHC family. An old Singer cast iron treadle base paired with some weathered mahogany boards I had lying around the shop gave me the antique look I was shooting for. Now it's time for this pricey ba***rd to either earn it's keep or get the hell out.
View attachment 151072

Very cool; I like old treadle sewing machines. I like fine machinery in general and these are truly a neat piece of work. I realize the only part you're using is the base, but it's still cool. I sure hope that investment works out for you! It certainly will save some grueling hand work.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Thanks Regan, The Singer base is my homage, of sorts, to the original Singer 107-1 sweatband machine which I would have preferred over the ASM. I'll make it work out, though. My aging hands and weakening eyes will thank me in the morning.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 151072
Looks good, Rick! That's a fine piece of machinery!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Terry. Even though it's a Chinese made copy of the real deal, it sews a great stitch and is quiet as a whisper.
I bet it beats hand sewing. If I had a machine that sews in sweats and sews on brim bindings, I definitely wouldn't be hand sewing that sh*t! Hand sewing's a killer on the eyes and back!

humanshoes

One Too Many
I bet it beats hand sewing. If I had a machine that sews in sweats and sews on brim bindings, I definitely wouldn't be hand sewing that sh*t! Hand sewing's a killer on the eyes and back!
So true Terry. I tried for a long time to find a working (and cheaper) alternative to the sweatband machine, but I don't think there's anything else out there that will do the job. Just had to bite the bullet on that one. Now, the brim binding is a different story. I paid less than a $100 for a Singer 44-90 machine that has a narrow walking foot and will accept commercial binding attachments. These machines were made to sew leather gloves, but work like a charm for binding. I put a makeshift hand crank on mine and built a small extension table to rest the hat on so no motor or special table required.
Singer 44-90.JPG
44-90 Binding Attachment.JPG

So true Terry. I tried for a long time to find a working (and cheaper) alternative to the sweatband machine, but I don't think there's anything else out there that will do the job. Just had to bite the bullet on that one. Now, the brim binding is a different story. I paid less than a $100 for a Singer 44-90 machine that has a narrow walking foot and will accept commercial binding attachments. These machines were made to sew leather gloves, but work like a charm for binding. I put a makeshift hand crank on mine and built a small extension table to rest the hat on so no motor or special table required.
View attachment 151164 View attachment 151165

Hey, Rick, how long does it take you to sew on the binding? I was just looking and your binding looks perfect on my hats.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
That's a nice standin for the 108w20 machine and a $100, you can't beat that. I bought a 108w20 for $600 out of Australia, they didn't pack it correctly and it came with a broken hand wheel and some other damage. Was able to get JW to repair it before he passed last year.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Nice....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21