Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phoenix Hat Company

humanshoes

One Too Many
Just arrived: Beaver fur felt in Sahara with a 1.5” wide mid-brown ribbon (the color is “Sudan”). Six inch open crown and 2 3/4” narrow bound brim. The felt is the least stiff of any of the Winchester beaver hats I own. It’s also the loosest fitting Phoenix I have, not too loose, but looser than my previous hats (I like the fit a lot).

ca5fd35d1da8386413677a4720c51ae4.jpg

ef3491b2dd3a6a0bfae326b87a37cd9b.jpg

be4508e0ba448318405911852e1ae336.jpg

6c183559499351e1d0703e4d97f35419.jpg

93931561391287f68dd92bb668b50744.jpg

f0bdedcc2becb5b6bc943718374a2088.jpg

a487d4803ac37bc4869e482a5da5c806.jpg

6f2b5d388257e5d2ce85caeafda5eb09.jpg

e1fab0f9ff0e0dd02bb6bbfec87c3a6c.jpg

I would have ordered this color first if I would have known how much I like it.

Here’s something to ponder: Rick told me this hat gave him some trouble. He said he came close to scrapping it and starting over with a new hat body. He said it has flaws. And as usual, he offered a refund or replacement if I didn’t like it. I received the hat yesterday and I’ve spent some time going over it. I don’t know what Rick considers to be “flaws”, but I don’t like this hat, I LOVE it! It’s an incredible hat and I’m grateful for the perfectionist who made it for me. I’m also interested in buying any Phoenix seconds if they become available!

Thank you Rick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Man, that hat looks great on you Brent! I'm especially digging the diamond bash. As usual, I really appreciate your kind words. I'll admit to being a bit obsessive about the hats I make and I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not building a piano. At any rate, I'm more than happy you're satisfied with your new hat and I hope you wear it in good health for many years to come.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Just arrived: Beaver fur felt in Sahara with a 1.5” wide mid-brown ribbon (the color is “Sudan”). Six inch open crown and 2 3/4” narrow bound brim. The felt is the least stiff of any of the Winchester beaver hats I own. It’s also the loosest fitting Phoenix I have, not too loose, but looser than my previous hats (I like the fit a lot).

Here’s something to ponder: Rick told me this hat gave him some trouble. He said he came close to scrapping it and starting over with a new hat body. He said it has flaws. And as usual, he offered a refund or replacement if I didn’t like it. I received the hat yesterday and I’ve spent some time going over it. I don’t know what Rick considers to be “flaws”, but I don’t like this hat, I LOVE it! It’s an incredible hat and I’m grateful for the perfectionist who made it for me. I’m also interested in buying any Phoenix seconds if they become available!

Thank you Rick!

That's another really fine hat, Brent (and Rick too ;)). I normally don't gravitate towards tan/camel colored hats, but that color combination is really sharp, and it suits you well too. Congratulations!

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
It seems as if the "building a piano" mentality isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as you aren't truly going mental. I don't know about anyone else, but I take comfort in knowing I've commissioned with a hatter who takes such care into his craft, is confident with their work, and is able to back it up. That's a nice piece of work on that Sahara. I look forward to my first hands-on (and on-head) experience with a Phoenix. Kudos Rick.

humanshoes

One Too Many
It seems as if the "building a piano" mentality isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as you aren't truly going mental. I don't know about anyone else, but I take comfort in knowing I've commissioned with a hatter who takes such care into his craft, is confident with their work, and is able to back it up. That's a nice piece of work on that Sahara. I look forward to my first hands-on (and on-head) experience with a Phoenix. Kudos Rick.
Thanks Ryan. Please take comfort in the fact that I'm not really going mental. I'm just never completely satisfied with my own work. Hat maker's angst I suppose.

humanshoes

One Too Many
I'm constantly is search of simple yet workable alternatives to heavy industrial hat making machinery. As most hat maker's will likely tell you, much time and effort are spent on brim work without the benefit of a proper hydraulic brim press. Enter the newest member of the PHC family. A vintage New York Electric Iron from the New York Pressing Iron Co., Inc. This bad boy weighs in at a whopping 15 pounds, roughly 2.2 pounds lighter than 2 gallons of milk. Maximum pressure, minimum effort. Granted, no replacement for the brim press, but much better than my standard steam iron. I've also built a rig that allows me to mount the hat block horizontally or vertically so that I can use this iron on the crowns as well as the brims. Better living through old technology.
New York Electric Iron.JPG

Last edited:

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Great looking hat. I dig the color combo as well. Lighter colors usually suit me more for daily wear than darker colors. I'll keep it in mind for my next Phoenix hat. Great job, Rick.

Thank you Rick!

manicsubmersion

New in Town
It is generally a shock to people when they learn that some of the best value méthode champenoise sparkling wine made in America comes from New Mexico. The Gruet winery was founded in 1984 by a bother and sister who traveled here from the Champagne region of France.

I recently uncorked a bottle of Gruet Cuvee Danielle 2014 (unfortunately, this particular bottling is only available directly from the winery) and found it to be the perfect accompaniment to my beautiful new custom Phoenix fedora.

I have a large family wedding to attend in July in Santa Barbara, California and wanted to have a couple of custom made hats to wear for the events. Late last year I contacted Rick after seeing a photo of his recently completed 100% beaver natural colored fedora with a navy blue ribbon. I thought the hat was beautiful and would easily go with just about any outfit.

After a few brief but friendly email exchanges, I place my deposit for the hat and then patiently waited for my place in the queue to come up.

Rick informed me that my hat was next on the block and asked for any additional details. I wanted a dress weight hat but with a slightly larger brim. I lived in the Middle Eastern desert for 23 years and now reside in the high desert of New Mexico. Any hat I own needs to keep the sun off my face and ears. Rick thought that he could get close to 2 3/4” for the brim, which he did. I also explored the possibility of requesting a different color for the ribbon, thinking that something closer to steel gray might be more versatile than the navy blue. Rick sent me a photo of several shades of grey draped on the hat body. I shared the photos with my wife and asked her what she thought. In the end, the navy ribbon won out.

The hat arrived a short time later and is truly stunning. Rick told me he strives to make the perfect hat each time he begins a custom order. I must agree, that this, my first custom fedora, is as perfect as it can be! I promised Rick some more elaborate photos of the hat in the near future, but I at least wanted to get this posted on the Lounge. Thank you Rick for the beautiful hat!
phoenix_1.jpg

Last edited:

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Excellent hat and hat maker! Enjoy!

Ps, I wasn't born in Ruidoso but I get there as often as I can!!!

It is generally a shock to people when they learn that some of the best value méthode champenoise sparkling wine made in America comes from New Mexico. The Gruet winery was founded in 1984 by a bother and sister who traveled here from the Champagne region of France.

I recently uncorked a bottle of Gruet Cuvee Danielle 2014 (unfortunately, this particular bottling is only available directly from the winery) and found it to be the perfect accompaniment to my beautiful new custom Phoenix fedora.

I have a large family wedding to attend in July in Santa Barbara, California and wanted to have a couple of custom made hats to wear for the events. Late last year I contacted Rick after seeing a photo of his recently completed 100% beaver natural colored fedora with a navy blue ribbon. I thought the hat was beautiful and would easily go with just about any outfit.

After a few brief but friendly email exchanges, I place my deposit for the hat and then patiently waited for my place in the queue to come up.

Rick informed me that my hat was next on the block and asked for any additional details. I wanted a dress weight hat but with a slightly larger brim. I lived in the Middle Eastern desert for 23 years and now reside in the high desert of New Mexico. Any hat I own needs to keep the sun off my face and ears. Rick thought that he could get close to 2 3/4” for the brim, which he did. I also explored the possibility of requesting a different color for the ribbon, thinking that something closer to steel gray might be more versatile than the navy blue. Rick sent me a photo of several shades of grey draped on the hat body. I shared the photos with my wife and asked her what she thought. In the end, the navy ribbon won out.

The hat arrived a short time later and is truly stunning. Rick told me he strives to make the perfect hat each time he begins a custom order. I must agree, that this, my first custom fedora, is as perfect as it can be! I promised Rick some more elaborate photos of the hat in the near future, but I at least wanted to get this posted on the Lounge. Thank you Rick for the beautiful hat!
View attachment 157047

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here

View attachment 157047
Love the natural with navy ribbon. I have a natural coming from elsewhere with a hand dyed blue ribbon, a little different than the navy. I find the natural felt so versatile.

The first time I tasted the Gruet Rose and the distributor told me it was from New Mexico I almost called him a liar. It was astoundingly good, especially for the price.

Alone one New Year's Eve, I hit the Gruet with dry salami and provolone....

i-fptcGPn-L.jpg

humanshoes

One Too Many

View attachment 157047
You're more than welcome! Thank you for the kind words and the excellent picture of your new hat. Your photographic skills certainly stand out. Definitely one for the portfolio.

Woodtroll

One Too Many

View attachment 157047

A truly sharp hat, sir, congratulations! At this rate that natural/navy combination may become one of Rick's signature hats. Mine has become my "all-purpose-casual-going-to-town-hat". It does indeed go well with almost everything, and I am very pleased with it. Rick's hats are well worth the wait, and he makes sure you end up with the hat you expect.

Dm101

A-List Customer
All too true and I do wear my rejects as badges of hard earned knowledge. Just think, if one works hard and learns how to completely screw up a hat, one can put a matchstick in the hatband and sell it for $1500. One can only dream. Speaking of same size, it wouldn't have broken my heart to see your Steel hat come back to me.

Hahahahahha....I see what you did there.
(And I agree!!)

;):D:p

humanshoes

One Too Many
Hahahahahha....I see what you did there.
(And I agree!!)

;):D:p
Don't get me wrong Dm, I believe in and support the hatter's right to artistic expression and "outside the hatbox" hat making and to charge whatever the market will bear for those creations. Just the same as I support a person's right to pay $600 per pound for coffee beans that come out of the asses of palm civet cats. Not to my liking, but hey, to each his own.

Dm101

A-List Customer
Don't get me wrong Dm, I believe in and support the hatter's right to artistic expression and "outside the hatbox" hat making and to charge whatever the market will bear for those creations. Just the same as I support a person's right to pay $600 per pound for coffee beans that come out of the asses of palm civet cats. Not to my liking, but hey, to each his own.

There's a high-line sucker with a need to impress others born every minute. That particular hatter caters to those types.
I reckon he fills a niche and keeps the "look at me" feebs away from the rest of us more humble people...[emoji19]

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

humanshoes

One Too Many
There's a high-line sucker with a need to impress others born every minute. That particular hatter caters to those types.
I reckon he fills a niche and keeps the "look at me" feebs away from the rest of us more humble people...[emoji19]

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk
I might kid about it, but, if I'm being honest with myself, it really doesn't seem like such a bad gig.

Love the natural with navy ribbon. I have a natural coming from elsewhere with a hand dyed blue ribbon, a little different than the navy. I find the natural felt so versatile.

The first time I tasted the Gruet Rose and the distributor told me it was from New Mexico I almost called him a liar. It was astoundingly good, especially for the price.

Alone one New Year's Eve, I hit the Gruet with dry salami and provolone....

i-fptcGPn-L.jpg

My wife and I were in our favourite little bistro in LaConnor WA and they had a very reasonably priced bubbly on the wine list....Gruet from NW. I asked timidly if she could recommend it....she replied that the fellow that stocked the wine cellar would not have it on the list if it was not good and did not represent good value. Ordered it and have been Gruet fans ever since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass