Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phoenix Hat Company

humanshoes

One Too Many
Ok Rick, let me know what I’m getting next and when. [emoji1690]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This one made me laugh my ass off Jonesy. It's nice to see you've adapted so well to the laid back island attitude. How many custom hat buyers would say something like "Hey man, just let me know what kind of hat you're making me and when I'm getting it."? Priceless my friend. Just priceless.

I'm thinking matched pair for you and the Mrs.
The minister at our church used to go on rants about the folly of retired folks. He scorned them as retiring, buying a motor home and driving around the country harassing their relatives and taking long walks on the beach wearing matching velour track suits. We have done the first two steps but as we have no relatives we are forced to harass strangers and we have yet to find matching velour track suits.....they seem to have gone out of style......sooo we may have to settle for matching hats!

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Disclaimer: I asked for a dark plum ribbon and matching binding. I know there are differences in how people see colors and even more in how monitors display them. This is just one of the hazards of long distance custom hats. Making sure you and the hatter are using the same words to describe the same thing is paramount. I was looking for something muted and a purple almost black color, and I thought that was how everyone thought of “plum.” My fault. Rick has graciously offered to replace the ribbon. I’m going to give it a day or two to decide, but I laughed out loud when I first opened the box...not the reaction I was hoping for.

8db9ed9ff1a694fe70ac93d3b00742c8.jpg

Wow, that's a pretty bold contrast but still a fine looking hat! I'm curious, though... is that the same ribbon that you posted the picture of back in February?:

2a03c764f7f29563126861a992c7cf16.jpg
This morning I had time and I read some threads that I had left aside. The photos that the hatter sent to Brent of the hat being worked and those of the finished hat, where the color changes are evident, are due to the light source with which they were made. The photos of the felt cone with the supported ribbon were made in artificial light, the light source of the laboratory and those of the hat finished in natural light. This is the substantial difference that determines the true colors of felt and gaskets. Without disturbing our perception of colors and those of cameras it is important to know that to see the real colors of anything the light source must be calibrated at 5500 degrees Kelvin, which is the average perception of our eye, processed by the brain. Any other light source in the Kelvin spectrum alters the colors, so when you want to see the real colors of felts and ribbons these must be photographed in natural light reflected in the shade. Even an overcast sky may be fine, but there will be a small invasion of gray in the final colors, however much more "real" than under any kind of lamp. It can also be photographed with light sources such as lamps or flash, but they must be calibrated to 5500 degrees Kelvin otherwise the results are not very credible. This is the rule that every person who works with colors should know

This morning I had time and I read some threads that I had left aside. The photos that the hatter sent to Brent of the hat being worked and those of the finished hat, where the color changes are evident, are due to the light source with which they were made. The photos of the felt cone with the supported ribbon were made in artificial light, the light source of the laboratory and those of the hat finished in natural light. This is the substantial difference that determines the true colors of felt and gaskets. Without disturbing our perception of colors and those of cameras it is important to know that to see the real colors of anything the light source must be calibrated at 5500 degrees Kelvin, which is the average perception of our eye, processed by the brain. Any other light source in the Kelvin spectrum alters the colors, so when you want to see the real colors of felts and ribbons these must be photographed in natural light reflected in the shade. Even an overcast sky may be fine, but there will be a small invasion of gray in the final colors, however much more "real" than under any kind of lamp. It can also be photographed with light sources such as lamps or flash, but they must be calibrated to 5500 degrees Kelvin otherwise the results are not very credible. This is the rule that every person who works with colors should know

I’m unfamiliar with the Kelvin scale outside of temperature, but I’ll take your word.

I do know that the light source makes all the difference. In fact, I’ve asked Rick for photos in outdoor natural lighting on previous projects as I knew they are a more accurate representation. I failed to do so with this project and that is part of the reason that I blame myself for the color of the ribbon.
Lesson learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m unfamiliar with the Kelvin scale outside of temperature, but I’ll take your word.

I do know that the light source makes all the difference. In fact, I’ve asked Rick for photos in outdoor natural lighting on previous projects as I knew they are a more accurate representation. I failed to do so with this project and that is part of the reason that I blame myself for the color of the ribbon.
Lesson learned.

The Kelvin lighting scale correlates to the Kelvin temperature scale, where it represents the light given off by an ideal black body (I still have never found one of those) at certain temperatures measured in Kelvins (technically, there is no such thing as a degree Kelvin).

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up

Lesson learned.
I know the problems of light well, because I worked as an advertising and corporate image for thirty five years. I think you had a surprise when you opened the hat box, but let me say that even the hatter did his part in the confusion of colorso_O

I know the problems of light well, because I worked as an advertising and corporate image for thirty five years. I think you had a surprise when you opened the hat box, but let me say that even the hatter did his part in the confusion of colorso_O

I just want to make it clear, Rick (the hatter) offered to redo the hat for free and pay for all the shipping. He stands behind his work and truly wants his customers to be satisfied. You can’t ask for more.

For my part, I realize that I didn’t do what I needed to to ensure the color was what I wanted. I asked for plum and I got plum; it just wasn’t the plum I had in mind. Buyers also have to be willing to accept some of the risk when buying long distance. Rick’s overhead is low which is part of how he keeps his prices so reasonable. If he had a professional photographer accurately portray his colors on a website he would need to pass those expenses on to his customers. Rick’s quality and customer service more than make up for what amounts to a short delay and a minor inconvenience...;although, in the future I’ll ask for photos in natural light. :)

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
That's the same rationale for why the National Weather Service does not want storm spotters to report hail "the size of marbles"...that could mean different sizes to different people.

I just want to make it clear, Rick (the hatter) offered to redo the hat for free and pay for all the shipping. He stands behind his work and truly wants his customers to be satisfied. You can’t ask for more.

For my part, I realize that I didn’t do what I needed to to ensure the color was what I wanted. I asked for plum and I got plum; it just wasn’t the plum I had in mind. Buyers also have to be willing to accept some of the risk when buying long distance. Rick’s overhead is low which is part of how he keeps his prices so reasonable. If he had a professional photographer accurately portray his colors on a website he would need to pass those expenses on to his customers. Rick’s quality and customer service more than make up for what amounts to a short delay and a minor inconvenience...;although, in the future I’ll ask for photos in natural light. :)

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family

Well said Brent. I had some trouble pinning down a ribbon color in the ballpark that I was looking for. Rick told me that I wasn't going to like the original color that I was basing my idea off of, and he was right. He sent me some photos of what he had in stock, and it was a good thing he did some outdoor shots for me because at least one of them had stark differences based on the lighting. Some of these ribbon colors are hard to get a firm grip on through photos because of lighting and the sheen that a lot of these ribbons have. I did my own research as well to make sure that I wasn't getting a false impression of how the color was supposed to look. Even some of the professional photos that I came across were a bit misleading to some extent. Rick does stand by his work, and he has been very upfront about that since the beginning. If anyone is ever unsure about what they're getting, it never hurts to ask. Rick wants to make sure that his customers get exactly what they are looking for.

humanshoes

One Too Many
In the land of the color blind the Kelvin expert is king.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Ok, now what color is that crown ribbon? Looks to be brown to copper on my monitor.
The seller called this one Oxblood, but it's really anybody's guess. In person it looks to be a brownish very dark red, or a reddish brown, or a dark rust, but hey, we've already established my color vision deficiency (deuteranomaly) so what the hell do I know. My color expert is still in Manhattan recuperating from her injuries so I'll know better when the doctors release her to come home. In the meantime, what I do know is that it's a beautiful, vintage, full 2" ribbon that looks great against the granite felt and, with the wider (think Stetson Whippet) slate gray brim binding, Brent's new hat is going to have a serious old school vibe. Maybe that's enough.

The seller called this one Oxblood, but it's really anybody's guess. In person it looks to be a brownish very dark red, or a reddish brown, or a dark rust, but hey, we've already established my color vision deficiency (deuteranomaly) so what the hell do I know. My color expert is still in Manhattan recuperating from her injuries so I'll know better when the doctors release her to come home. In the meantime, what I do know is that it's a beautiful, vintage, full 2" ribbon that looks great against the granite felt and, with the wider (think Stetson Whippet) slate gray brim binding, Brent's new hat is going to have a serious old school vibe. Maybe that's enough.

It’s more than enough. I’m very excited about this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass