Phoenix Hat Company

Discussion in 'Hats' started by deadlyhandsome, Apr 1, 2018.

1. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

Too few people now grow up knowing how to work hard. Work is a blessing, and there’s a satisfaction that can only be found work. I’m ready to retire, but I’m not ready to stop “working.”

2. belfastboy

belfastboy My Mail is Forwarded Here

I agree. After coaching 15 year old boys elite baseball I can fully attest to their work effort...many of them have gone on to fine careers. My comments were more directed to the 'apprenticeship' model and paying one's dues.
    I think that is an aspect that has lessened in importance and many want positions without having had to pay their dues. Once I set the culture of having to earn your place the process of wanting/expecting things was turned around. But it did have to be turned around. Their expectations needed some course correction. But once corrected they responded very positively.

3. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Dang! If the 'missus' and me could afford to move to Tennessee I'd fill out my application for that apprentice job!

4. belfastboy

I understand housing is a relative bargain in Tennessee!

5. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Yeah, but too many other things have us anchored here in the Buckeye State.

6. belfastboy

When Mike at NW Hats opened his shop I entertained the idea of asking him if he would let me be a volunteer 'shop boy'. I could live in my motorhome so would have a bed each night. I could sweep the floors, answer phones etc in exchange for watching him and learning the craft of hatting. But never took the step of asking. Some regrets around it but my life, my wife, my home is here. Life is a series of choices....some harder than others.

Rumad, T Jones and deadlyhandsome like this.
  7. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Yup. Definitely true...and some choices take priority over others. The trick for us all is figuring out the difference between what we want to do and what our priorities actually are.

Woodtroll and belfastboy like this.
  8. Scooterz

Scooterz A-List Customer

Navy Phoenix just arrived from Rick. 2 5/8" brim, 5/8" navy binding and crown ribbon. Winchester beaver. I would call it more of a midnight blue in most light. Rainy and overcast today so maybe when the sun comes out I will get more accurate and better photos. To my eye the felt looks almost black and the ribbon is a dark navy (the ribbon is not the bright neon blue it is looking like in some of the photos.) A bit hard to capture the real colors today.
    The crown is soft and easily shaped. The brim is going to take a little handling to get it where I want it but its already coming around. Really a nice hat.
    20200316_172921-01.jpg 20200316_172834_HDR-01.jpg 20200316_172320-01.jpg

Rumad, steur, SteveFord and 13 others like this.
  9. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

What a beautiful hat. Now you’ve got me thinking about navy....

Rumad, humanshoes, jonesy86 and 2 others like this.
  10. Scooterz

Scooterz A-List Customer

Sorry for making you think even more about navy. Finally the sun is out. Here are some daylight photos. With one in indirect light.
    The blue shows up stronger in the light. The camera sees more blue but, in good light to the eye it looks blue grey and shifts to dark blue with changes in light or angles. Bashes pretty easy and a spritz of distilled water makes any spots that want to bounce back stay put. A really nice hat!
    20200318_125743_HDR-01.jpg 20200318_163731_HDR-01.jpg
    20200318_163720-01.jpg 20200318_125756_HDR-01.jpg 20200318_125822-01.jpg

11. humanshoes

humanshoes Vendor

An interesting little addition to the arsenal. This early 1900's electric brim curling iron needed some TLC, but, after a quick rewire with a NOS vingage appliance cord, we're good to go. I think I can achieve a variety of brim curl configurations without ever having to break out a flange block.
    Hat Brim Iron.JPG