Phoenix Hat Company

Discussion in 'Hats' started by deadlyhandsome, Apr 1, 2018.

1. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

Have at it Rick. I’ll assume the risk so if it gets ruined I’ll pop for another. I see that they have the Rain Cloud color back in stock. I have one in my cart waiting for your thumbs up before ordering it.

it’s a very different nutria from the dark green Australian nutria felt I sent you last year. It also disappoints when compared to that Walden felt it was shipped with. Still, I think it could be a nice, if a bit firmer than ideal, western hat. I can’t wait to see what you can do with it.

jlee562, humanshoes and belfastboy like this.
  2. humanshoes

humanshoes One Too Many

The Walden is one big damn beautiful hat. Lots of real estate, so many possibilities.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  3. humanshoes

humanshoes One Too Many

Finally, after a six year search, I was finally able to procure a Singer 112-4 straw hat sewing machine. As far as I'm concerned, this is the holy grail of straw hat machines. Built like a tank in 1927 and ready for another lifetime or two of productivity, it makes my Willcox & Gibbs straw machines look like undernourished stepchildren by comparison.

1927 Singer Straw Hat Machine.JPG

Singer vs Willcox & Gibbs.jpg

4. ChicagoWayVito

ChicagoWayVito A-List Customer

Nice find! Was this on ebay? I have a saved search for one of these on ebay but nothing has come up yet. Congratulations!

5. humanshoes

humanshoes One Too Many

It was on the bay as a "parts or repair" machine. After a few pertinent questions to the seller, I decided to take a chance and shot the guy a low offer that he accepted. When I received it, it was only missing a few external parts (which I had in my parts drawer) and after some hook timing and tension adjustments it sews perfectly.

6. deadlyhandsome

So, are you accepting orders for Milan hats now? :)

jonesy86 likes this.
  7. humanshoes

humanshoes One Too Many

I wish I could say yes to that Brent, but I'm not quite there yet. The search is still on, though, for a committed apprentice. Hats, brooms...whatever, straw is straw.
    Sorcerer's Apprentice.jpg

jonesy86, T Jones, jlee562 and 3 others like this.
  8. deadlyhandsome

I guess the seven years of indentured servitude is a turnoff.

Robieman and humanshoes like this.
  9. humanshoes

humanshoes One Too Many

You have a point there my friend. It may feel like servitude working under my tutelage. After all, I'm only offering to teach a marketable skill, provide the equipment and workspace, and, once the work meets my standards, let the apprentice keep 100% of the profits from their efforts. A much better deal, I think, than the apprentices of old who toiled all day for no monetary recompense and slept all night on a straw mat in a drafty corner. The only thing I can't provide or promise is instant gratification. The impatient or the apathetic need not apply!

10. deadlyhandsome

You’re a heck of a hatter, Rick, but I don’t know how much of a businessman you are. :)
    I guess I’m too much of a capitalist to appreciate letting the apprentice keep 100% of the profit.

T Jones likes this.
  11. humanshoes

humanshoes One Too Many

I was a businessman in my former life. I'm more fun than profit driven at this stage of the game. Besides, there's always the fine print in the apprenticeship contract. "Other duties to include: sewing hat liners, imprinting sweatbands, cleaning the workshop, making coffee, and all other crappy, semi-skilled functions that the hatter deems necessary." Hah!

jonesy86, Robieman, T Jones and 2 others like this.
  12. deadlyhandsome

Reminds me of my work. We used to have employees file grievances with their unions that we were making them “work out of class,” so we added a line to the end of their duties statement: “...and other duties as assigned.” Heaven forbid you ask a maintenance worker to help unload a truck four times a year.

13. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Look at this way, Rick is teaching his apprentice a valuable lesson on the benefits of capitalism through hard work and perseverance! :D

quikrick and Frunobulax like this.
  14. humanshoes

humanshoes One Too Many

Not to mention humility Terry. Big, heaping doses of it.

Robieman and T Jones like this.
  15. Scooterz

Scooterz A-List Customer

Rick this is the example I was talking about.

IMG_3387.JPG

16. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Many years ago on a flight back from the UK I sat beside an 80 year old retired cabinet maker. He regaled me with stories of his youth. He began his career as a cabinet maker as a 12 year old tea boy in a wood work shop.
    His job was to make tea for the men, clean the glue pots, sweep the floor and any other crap job that no one else would perform. That era is long gone and much has been lost in the loss of that coming of age process. I say this is a guy who began his work life as a 12 year old working the carnival. Many days were hard and crappy but I would not trade those days/that experience for anything.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  17. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

If I was young enough to still want a career I would be on my way to Knoxville for an interview!!!!

Robieman likes this.
  18. humanshoes

humanshoes One Too Many

That's the ticket Scooterz. Looks to be 5/8" ribbon on hatband and binding. It'll look great on your new hat.

19. humanshoes

humanshoes One Too Many

Great story bb. I won't go so far as to say that this type of work ethic is completely absent in the modern world, but the dynamic definitely seems to have changed.

20. humanshoes

humanshoes One Too Many

After seeing your impressive first hat making efforts bb, I'd say you've got the job.