Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phoenix Hat Company

DOGMAN

One Too Many
My apologies, in advance, for this little bit of rambling that has nothing to do with hats. It all started with Dogman's question about the things I don't do. Which, of course, got me thinking about the things I haven't done, but want to do. Which, in turn, got me thinking about blacksmithing. Which, inevitably, had me asking myself, "what are you waiting for?". Now I have this Peter Wright 126 pound anvil (made in England sometime between 1860 and 1890) sitting in my kitchen along with all the parts I need to build my own gas forge. And so, slowly but surely, the Phoenix Forge will be born. The Fedora Lounge truly is populated by enablers of the very best kind. Thanks a lot Dog.
View attachment 193461
What did I do now......Can't wait to see what you create.

Don't know how I'll do with it Jack. It'll come off the bucket list, one way or the other. Curious to know why you gave it up.
I really wanted to develop my skill level to get into knife making, but those guys all use gas forges & trip hammers. I never wanted to get into ornamental iron work. I really couldn't think of anything I could design & make other than what I mentioned. I still have lots of mild carbon & high carbon steels in my shop that I brought home over the yrs.

humanshoes

One Too Many
I really wanted to develop my skill level to get into knife making, but those guys all use gas forges & trip hammers. I never wanted to get into ornamental iron work. I really couldn't think of anything I could design & make other than what I mentioned. I still have lots of mild carbon & high carbon steels in my shop that I brought home over the yrs.
I don't have the room or the inclination to have the big machinery. As with my hat making, I prefer to do most things by hand. Hey, next time you see all that beautiful steel lying around your shop, think about the Phoenix Hat Company barter program. I'll be starting with mostly 1084 and 1095 steel I think.

I don't have the room or the inclination to have the big machinery. As with my hat making, I prefer to do most things by hand. Hey, next time you see all that beautiful steel lying around your shop, think about the Phoenix Hat Company barter program. I'll be starting with mostly 1084 and 1095 steel I think.
You could have the best shod horse in the hollar some day!

I have quite a bit of high carbon 1095 spring steel I was going to make knives out of.

My apologies, in advance, for this little bit of rambling that has nothing to do with hats. It all started with Dogman's question about the things I don't do. Which, of course, got me thinking about the things I haven't done, but want to do. Which, in turn, got me thinking about blacksmithing. Which, inevitably, had me asking myself, "what are you waiting for?". Now I have this Peter Wright 126 pound anvil (made in England sometime between 1860 and 1890) sitting in my kitchen along with all the parts I need to build my own gas forge. And so, slowly but surely, the Phoenix Forge will be born. The Fedora Lounge truly is populated by enablers of the very best kind. Thanks a lot Dog.
View attachment 193461

My first thought was Winchester’s felts must really be going downhill if they have to be beaten into shape. My second thought was “just what Rick needs, another iron in the fire.” (pun intended). :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
A man after my own heart, about to retire and I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up!

View attachment 193461

humanshoes

One Too Many
My first thought was Winchester’s felts must really be going downhill if they have to be beaten into shape. My second thought was “just what Rick needs, another iron in the fire.” (pun intended). :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Great pun Brent. Also the same thing most of my friends have told me. Too many irons in the fire. I've told them I have a simple solution. Build a bigger fire.

I'll be starting with mostly 1084 and 1095 steel I think.
OT Rick, so I'll end with this.

I was trying to make replicas of old time carbon steel knives. Here are a couple I hand forged out of 1095 spring steel. I also made a couple of knives with partial serrated edges from the blade of an old handsaw.

IMG_6384.jpg

IMG_6382.jpg

IMG_6383.jpg

The bigger knife has a notch & one sided edge ground up the back.
IMG_6185.jpg

I wanted to make a Damascus steel old time sheath knife but that's when you really need a trip hammer.

View attachment 193461

And I was always of the impression ACME made the best ones.

frussell

One Too Many
OT Rick, so I'll end with this.

I was trying to make replicas of old time carbon steel knives. Here are a couple I hand forged out of 1095 spring steel. I also made a couple of knives with partial serrated edges from the blade of an old handsaw.

View attachment 193602

View attachment 193600

View attachment 193601

The bigger knife has a notch & one sided edge ground up the back.
View attachment 193603

I wanted to make a Damascus steel old time sheath knife but that's when you really need a trip hammer.

These are awesome. I have part of my great grandfather’s buffalo skinning kit (my avatar photo is him from that era), including a few knives he supposedly made from old files and tools. They are very similar to what you posted, but with antler handles. I envy your ability to create something that useful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko