Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photo of the day.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I found this original color photo of a man in a 1941 Lincoln Zephyr. I saw this and found it hard to believe that it's the real deal. But, seeing the clothes I can tell they're the real vintage. Also looking at the background you can see the shapes of cars that are of the same vintage. This also just has a very period feel to it that modern color photography can't achieve.

I hope you all enjoy this large high quality image from a time gone by.

Root.

1940scarinterior4sh.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Mr. 'H' said:
I know thi picture Root!

I saw it sometime when I googled 1940s cars!

Looks kinda later doesn't it? Kinda "Bewitched"-esque!

:)

Well, I wouldn't say Bewitched-esque. The tint to the film maybe but look at those clothes! There's no way those are 1960's clothes. Also keep in mind that a 1941 Lincoln wouldn't look so new in the 1960's.

The hat is a big tip off as well and the man's haircut.

Angelicious

One of the Regulars
Perhaps it's just me, but the gentleman certainly looks pleased about something. I'd like to assume that that smile of boyish anticipation is because he's just about to start his beautiful brand new car for the first time! :)

(Also, I think his trousers and coat look too wide at the cuff to be 60s. As the educated guess of an amateur fashion historian, the texture and bunching at the ankles on those socks look too thick to be a nylon/wool blend as became popular in the fifties or sixties.)

Feraud

Bartender
What a wonderful picture! The detail and 'warmth' of the color is so refreshing to see. It is easy to see detail in a well taken photograph. You feel you can almost reach out and touch his overcoat.

I think this quality is hard to achieve with today's point and shoot digital cameras. I was raised taking pictures on an old SLR camera. I had to learn things like 'speed of film' or 'aperture' and their effects on photos.

Thank you for sharing.

P.s. What is that square box under the dash?...

db5zx

Familiar Face
I'd say the box under the dashboard is either Air Conditioning or Heating. A speaker for the radio would not have had this size and location in the car.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Cameras

Pah! Cameras started going downhill when SLRs were introduced (at least in 35mm format - I exempt Contax and Hasselblad etc from this diatribe). That photograph almost certainly has the particular qualities that you all have described so eloquently because it was take with a large format camera - possibly a 2 1/4" TLR.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Box under the dash.

You're pretty close there db5zx! That is a heater! Heaters were often located under the dash board in cars of this vintage. My 46 Plymouth has an original factory Comfort Master heater under the dash. It's farther over on the passenger side then say this one is. Most of the time heaters were optional and cost extra. My Plymouth is a Special Deluxe and it came equipped with a radio and heater. So, for the extra cash you got the full package deal.

That photo just makes me so happy.

Root.

Wild Root

Gone Home
It is quite fascinating that color did exist at that time! But, it was even around before the 40's! Ever see original color footage of the 1936 Berlin Summer Games? Yes, there was plenty of color shots from that Olympic games! Color even started to be experimented with in the 1890's! So, it's a very old idea but, it was still new in the 20's to the 40's.

Root

Vornholt

One of the Regulars
The photo of the '41 Lincoln was almost certainly an early Kodachrome transparency, based on a comparison with some in my collection. And by the overall clarity, certainly done with a high grade camera of the day. The second photo was obviously a large format 4x5, given the film notches. The first one could have been as well.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Kodachrome transparency

These are great! I just love how clear and crisp they are. So amazing to see a photo or transparency that looks like it was taken yesterday!

I have a friend who has a few of them and it just blew me away when I saw a transparency for the first time!

Never get over it though!

Root.

Wild Root

Gone Home
That's one reasons why I love the 30's and 40's cars more then the 50's. They were a little more modest in the chrome department. But, I like most 50's cars too. But, the true love lies with the 30's and 40's cars!

Root.

This isn't a vintage photo, but it's just a sweet photo of my dash in my '46!
1111199img9ly.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran