1. Lounge Update headed your way. Check the thread in the Observation Bar. If you don't like the light style, click the light bulb at the top-right of your screen.

Photos of cool jackets owned by others (non-brand specific)

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Superfluous, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Gamma68

Gamma68 Practically Family

Anthony Armstrong-Jones (later Lord Snowdon) on the cover of Paris Match in 1960.

Interesting to see a button-down shirt, tie and sweater with a leather jacket.

tumblr_ntdcoxPOhb1tlnonoo2_r1_500.jpg

Professor100 likes this.
  2. Edward

Edward Bartender

They're both wearing 'Ace Cafe London' patches (the ones with the 'Club' (as in suit of cards) symbol in the middle); the Ace only started merchandising itself some time after reopening in 1997, so it can' be any earlier than that date.

FWIW, if *everyone* in a photo is wearing a highly, highly decorated jacket, that's a sure sign it's a modern picture, as fewer of the original rockers took it that far. (c/f painted A2s....). Also, if it's a photo of clearly Brit-style rockers that s from outside England, that's usually a sign too.

3. Professor100

Professor100 New in Town

upload_2018-9-14_8-46-22.png

I've always really liked the civilian versions of military flight jackets. They often make the solid functional designs of the originals even more so with the addition of extra pockets and the like. Here's an image from a short lived American television show from 1977. That looks to be a very solid, versatile, and durable jacket.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 5:04 PM
    Edward likes this.
  4. Edward

Edward Bartender

I've long said that the likes of this sort of design would be far more accurate to wear if you're looking for a civilian look 1945-1959ish than the likes of a 'real' A2. The one in your picture reminds me of an Eastman Air Comfort (with the addition of a chest pocket), though I'm sure bakc when it was much more affordable than the EAC is now (GBP999 - ouch!).

Professor100 likes this.
  5. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Nice - looks like he is carrying a US Mail satchel. I'd like one of them too.

6. ProteinNerd

ProteinNerd My Mail is Forwarded Here

This thread just reinforces to me there is no “the one” jacket but there are lots and lots and lots of very cool jackets.

Edward, El Marro, Monitor and 4 others like this.
  7. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I reckon that's a key lesson, Prote. And, by extension, I think we have to learn to keep loving the cool ones we own already and quit the restless quest for yet another grail jacket.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018 at 9:57 AM
    Edward, ton312 and ProteinNerd like this.
  8. red devil

red devil Practically Family

Agreed, Enjoy what you have.
    I have never really looked for a grail jacket... only complementary ones to those I have already :)

9. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Yes indeed. After trying to sign up for 3 Japanese sites selling Kadoya I have given up on the idea of owning this jacket. RIP whatever model this is.
    IMG_1368.PNG IMG_1369.PNG

Gamma68 and Monitor like this.
  10. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

There is “the one”, if you want it to be. :)

Problem is, most of us don't. But I'd still like to believe that a fictional movie character can't be the only person in the history of the world who actually found “the one” jacket.

El Marro and ton312 like this.
  11. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Totally true. My "the one" is always the one I'm with. Then there's another one. And another. I'm like a dog chasing a tennis ball, and then some jerk throws three more balls into the field and my legs are trying to go in three different directions at once.
    IMG_1393.GIF

AbbaDatDeHat and Monitor like this.
  12. Hh121

Hh121 Practically Family

13. Captain Sensible

Captain Sensible New in Town

Nothing like a bit of enabling

14. JMax

JMax Practically Family

I imagined HH and Ton’s conversation taking place with Curtis Mayfield playing in the background.

15. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

This is so insanely nice I can't help but always stop at it when I click on this thread. But I did notice just now the dreaded horizontal creases. . .

Carlos840 and ton312 like this.
  16. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

We are all a:

jonesy86, AbbaDatDeHat and JMax like this.
  17. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat Call Me a Cab

^^^and then there’s CSN&Y
    “Love the one you’re with”.
    B

jonesy86, ton312 and JMax like this.
  18. Winston Carter

Winston Carter A-List Customer

Been wearing this Leather Blazer a friend gave me for a few winters. It is heavy and will keep you warm. I just bought a new black Lambskin Bomber from Haband. I was surprised at the weight. For the price I thought it would look cheap.
    IMG_20180915_154120.jpg IMG_20180915_153531.jpg

AbbaDatDeHat and ProteinNerd like this.
  19. Archbury

Archbury New in Town

ton312 likes this.
  20. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

I tried that site! Had trouble with my name! It's ridiculous but somehow my name is the hang up! Plus, earlier today a little bird whispered this in my ear:
    18162108_299487623813651_3210808359536033792_n.jpg

Attached Files: