Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of cool jackets owned by others (non-brand specific)

Gamma68

One Too Many
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Gamma68

One Too Many
https://hdoriginals.artehouse.com/shop/1888

Go here. Vanson still makes a Cycle King Repro for not that much all things considered. It’s bad as hell.

I bookmarked that page a while back and return to it from time to time. Looks very nice. Does anyone here own one of these? I have no experience with Vanson and wouldn't know what to expect.

The product description notes "hand applied hot wax using pre WWII formula." What does this mean?

dannyk

One Too Many
A3939444-540E-4608-91AA-BB4DEB38D739.png Way back when I asked and this was the answer I got. Which isn’t much to say the least For us jacket guys who need to know every detail. I’m not sure if this is telling me it’s their standard z150 or if that’s plus some secret formula. But it’s Vanson and it’s a killer design. My money is on it being pretty great. So

dannyk

One Too Many
A while back now I recall discussing this with @JMax, can’t remember now though. Did you own this or did we both just want it at the same time but never actually get it? Ha

I was told this jacket is made in X150, which is the hot wax infused family of leathers described above. It includes the Octagon. The z-150 (Zirconium or something like that) is Vanson’s CW but not as thick. Looks nothing like X-150. It is all detailed on Vanson’s webpage in the about leathers tab. And when I was considering which black leather to make my vest with I received an in depth tutorial from Vanson. This jacket and my Commando came up— both X-150. Which I dig and prefer to CW. Most days at least.

I thought about this jacket but moved on to other infatuations. We were both drooling over this one.

Gamma68

One Too Many
View attachment 140332 Way back when I asked and this was the answer I got. Which isn’t much to say the least For us jacket guys who need to know every detail. I’m not sure if this is telling me it’s their standard z150 or if that’s plus some secret formula. But it’s Vanson and it’s a killer design. My money is on it being pretty great.

So it's just some wax application over the leather. I didn't know this was some kind of "technique" used on jackets prior to the second world war.

And to clarify my earlier post: I know Vanson is held in high esteem here. I just wonder if one could expect this Harley collaboration to be of the same high quality as their own branded products.

dannyk

One Too Many
So it's just some wax application over the leather. I didn't know this was some kind of "technique" used on jackets prior to the second world war.

And to clarify my earlier post: I know Vanson is held in high esteem here. I just wonder if one could expect this Harley collaboration to be of the same high quality as their own branded products.
Yeah the finish not sure on. Jmaxs post and insight could probably tell you more on vanson and their leathers. In terms or quality I believe it is. Because I believe Harley just gave them the design and said make it. And vanson did all of the work and put a Harley label in it.

Gamma68

One Too Many
From the
I was told this jacket is made in X150, which is the hot wax infused family of leathers described above. It includes the Octagon. The z-150 (Zirconium or something like that) is Vanson’s CW but not as thick. Looks nothing like X-150. It is all detailed on Vanson’s webpage in the about leathers tab. And when I was considering which black leather to make my vest with I received an in depth tutorial from Vanson. This jacket and my Commando came up— both X-150. Which I dig and prefer to CW. Most days at least.

I thought about this jacket but moved on to other infatuations. We were both drooling over this one.

From the Vanson website:

• Vanson XL Leathers are stuffed with hot melt wax and then finished by hand in the same way that Horsehide was produced in the 1930's and 40's. The skins start at 1.2 mm thickness and the combination of heat and pressure used in the waxing process makes the leather tough and hard when new. Over time as the leather breaks in it will assume the character and fit of the owner. This leather ages beautifully. All the natural variations and character marks in the leather show. The look and color develops from within, through the skin, instead of being applied on top in the modern way. The big point of this leather is that every hide is different and will vary and age differently - so each carefully-selected piece is unique.
Now, I'm drooling over this jacket!

M-798228_1_half.jpg

Would love to see examples of Vanson XL leather jackets that show how they age.

dannyk

One Too Many
And I should add what makes me think that is I emailed HD on the jacket and they said hold on let’s ask vanson and forwarded me an email straight from vanson. Leads me to believe they don’t know shit about the jacket and rely on vanson from top to bottom.

You also can call Vanson direct and have them build you one with whatever smaller changes you may want. In my experience, Vanson collaborations are spot on in every way. Will post some pics later but if you search here for photos of my Commando and Chopper/Berserker (and Vanson vest) you will get the idea. The leather breaks in according the the wearer— how the jacket fits and how the jacket is used. I dig it. Very stiff when you pull it out of box but don’t let that turn you off.

dannyk

One Too Many
The Commando is a beautiful jacket. That collaboration is on their 3rd or 4th iteration now it’s been so successful. There’s only two Vanson collabs I would stay away from and neither are due to quality. 1. Vanson and Supreme because I highly dislike Supreme. And 2. Junya Watanabe because the name attached raises the price beyond Vanson threshold.

Edward

Bartender
It’s a game show. Name one thing Vanson is not known for? A quick break in.

If you want the option of armor, that seems to be limited to only their very modern / power ranger styles, not any of their classic line. Still, I imagine there are plenty enough people who ant the classic style who don't want any armour in their jacket, so it makes sense if that's their market.

If you want the option of armor, that seems to be limited to only their very modern / power ranger styles, not any of their classic line. Still, I imagine there are plenty enough people who ant the classic style who don't want any armour in their jacket, so it makes sense if that's their market.

I would say the Force is bit more classic in style. But you are correct, very limited.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points