Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Received my Stratoliner block, it is vintage! Gave me something to compare to my modern 52. To me they are very close but I see two differences between them. First the Stratoliner is even flatter on the top than my 52 and second the Stratoliner is less ovular than my 52 when viewed from above.

Strat-Bottom.jpg
Strat-Front.jpg

Stratoliner on right, top seems flatter to my eye but both are close.
Strat-52Compare1.jpg
Strat-52Compare2.jpg
Strat-52Compare3.jpg

My old Jiffy Steamer decided to stop working (I have yet to diagnose the issue), so I started looking for a replacement. I ran across three possibilities via an online auction of a western wear store within driving distance. I ended up winning one for (what I feel is) a good price. It probably helped that it appeared to be for clothing vs. hats. The clothing one may have had less hours on it. $20 more had a new brass hat nozzle on its way from Jiffy. It works great (although I really didn’t need the extra heat and humidity it kicked out today).

3EAD5E88-43E7-4A6E-822A-937373246C0A.png

3F4179B9-9987-48B9-B144-5396EAE0DB25.jpeg

44F148E1-DD2A-43F8-A8D9-B63F91572A51.jpeg

B1B8E4C1-0AAE-4831-B900-33CFE9D4829A.jpeg

702913C3-0D93-400E-929D-A9735650AD2B.jpeg

A223423B-62B1-4759-AC54-E8C9305C58A2.jpeg

Now to get the old one working again. I have hats in two locations so why not a steamer at each?

humanshoes

One Too Many
After many years of searching, I've finally been able to add a rare and elusive Singer 25-56 straw braid sewing machine to the arsenal. The problem was the machine was missing the top two sections of the needle bar which consist of an insert and thread guide cap that are critical to operation of the machine.
Missing Needlebar Section_LI (2).jpg

After a futile search for the original parts, I've been forced to engineer a workable replacement. All I needed was a 1/4" x 2 1/2" steel rod with the bottom 1" milled down to 11/64" to insert into the needle bar tube. Also needed a thread hole in the top. This all serves as a thread take up to keep the thread away from the descending needle during operation. No big deal for a good machinist to make, however, my local guy is backed up for 3 months and I don't have a proper metal lathe. Enter the humble clevis pin...

Modified Clevis Pin.JPG

I cut the pin to length using a hacksaw, chucked up the pin in my drill press, and, using a metal file, milled the bottom 1" to the required 11/64". This process took a long time, but the results are adequate and functional. Sorry for the blurry image, but it was 2am by the time I got to this stage and I was pretty much toast.

New Needlebar Section.JPG

After a good oiling and some timing and tension adjustments, I'm happy to report that this old beauty is now sewing as good as the day she was born.

Working Singer 25-56_LI.jpg

Now, as a bit of an interesting back story, some of you may notice the beautiful blue bordered 1851 to 1951 Centennial anniversary badge on this machine. Most interesting because, according to the Singer serial number data base, this machine came off the assembly line on March 18, 1930. If, in fact, the badge is unaltered and original to the machine, only one conclusion remains and may the most fascinating part of the machines history.

For their 1951 Centennial anniversary, Singer badged several of it's models with the Centennial medallion in honor of the anniversary. The following is from Graham Forsdyke on Centennial models:
When Singer introduced the Centennial range with the iconic anniversary badge, sales went through the roof and the Company rushed around the factory grabbing every machine they could find in an attempt to satisfy the dealers. This is not unique. There are cases of 1947 machines exiting the factory with the anniversary badge, but it’s far from common.

Now, I'm not 100% certain that my 1930 machine was sitting in the warehouse for 21 years, taken out of unsold stock, centennial badged, and sold in or around 1951, but if so, it is likely one of the oldest known examples and would make an already rare machine the rarest of the rare.

Humorous side note: When I told my lady friend about Singer's practice of centennial badging pre-1951 machines she simply said, "So basically, THEY LIED."
Yeppur dear, that's exactly what they did, except in the business world it's more commonly referred to as marketing.

Last edited:

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
After many years of searching, I've finally been able to add a rare and elusive Singer 25-56 straw braid sewing machine to the arsenal. The problem was the machine was missing the top two sections of the needle bar which consist of an insert and thread guide cap that are critical to operation of the machine.
View attachment 349999

After a futile search for the original parts, I've been forced to engineer a workable replacement. All I needed was a 1/4" x 2 1/2" steel rod with the bottom 1" milled down to 11/64" to insert into the needle bar tube. Also needed a thread hole in the top. This all serves as a thread take up to keep the thread away from the descending needle during operation. No big deal for a good machinist to make, however, my local guy is backed up for 3 months and I don't have a proper metal lathe. Enter the humble clevis pin...

View attachment 350000

I cut the pin to length using a hacksaw, chucked up the pin in my drill press, and, using a metal file, milled the bottom 1" to the required 11/64". This process took a long time, but the results are adequate and functional. Sorry for the blurry image, but it was 2am by the time I got to this stage and I was pretty much toast.

View attachment 350001

After a good oiling and some timing and tension adjustments, I'm happy to report that this old beauty is now sewing as good as the day she was born.

View attachment 350007

Now, as a bit of an interesting back story, some of you may notice the beautiful blue bordered 1851 to 1951 Centennial anniversary badge on this machine. Most interesting because, according to the Singer serial number data base, this machine came off the assembly line on March 18, 1930. If, in fact, the badge is unaltered and original to the machine, only one conclusion remains and may the most fascinating part of the machines history.

For their 1951 Centennial anniversary, Singer badged several of it's models with the Centennial medallion in honor of the anniversary. The following is from Graham Forsdyke on Centennial models:
When Singer introduced the Centennial range with the iconic anniversary badge, sales went through the roof and the Company rushed around the factory grabbing every machine they could find in an attempt to satisfy the dealers. This is not unique. There are cases of 1947 machines exiting the factory with the anniversary badge, but it’s far from common.

Now, I'm not 100% certain that my 1930 machine was sitting in the warehouse for 21 years, taken out of unsold stock, centennial badged, and sold in or around 1951, but if so, it is likely one of the oldest known examples and would make an already rare machine the rarest of the rare.

Humorous side note: When I told my lady friend about Singer's practice of centennial badging pre-1951 machines she simply said, "So basically, THEY LIED."
Yeppur dear, that's exactly what they did, except in the business world it's more commonly referred to as marketing.
Did you win this item on eBay on June 24th for the winning bid of $305? I nearly put in a bid on that particular machines and from what I can tell the serial numbers between the listing and yours in this post look to be identical. If that is the same machine, then congratulations and I am glad it went to someone who would actually use it. I didn't bid in the end because I had spent all my money on an upcoming vacation.

This is the listing that I am referring to: SINGER 25-56 Sewing Machine with Blue Emblem - RARE 1930's | eBay

humanshoes

One Too Many
Did you win this item on eBay on June 24th for the winning bid of $305? I nearly put in a bid on that particular machines and from what I can tell the serial numbers between the listing and yours in this post look to be identical. If that is the same machine, then congratulations and I am glad it went to someone who would actually use it. I didn't bid in the end because I had spent all my money on an upcoming vacation.

This is the listing that I am referring to: SINGER 25-56 Sewing Machine with Blue Emblem - RARE 1930's | eBay
Yep, same machine CWV. I was curious about the contradiction of the centennial badge and the stated age of machine. I could also see it was missing some crucial parts so I contacted the seller to see if he might have those parts lying around, but he told me that he'd purchased it at an estate sale and had nothing else to go with it. Fair enough, I love a challenge. I threw in a high max bid on this one and walked away from it. I was surprised I got it for, what I consider to be, a very low price.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Looking through Garrahan Hats’ Instagram postings and found this:

View attachment 353902

Looks like a real time saver for brim binding.
Looks like a Hybrid binding attachment between the one that I saw at JW Hats years ago and the one that Tennessee Attachment company made for me. I do like the spring section on this one where you load the ribbon, the one I have requires more work and finesse to get it to work. Great looking attachment.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Looks like a Hybrid binding attachment between the one that I saw at JW Hats years ago and the one that Tennessee Attachment company made for me. I do like the spring section on this one where you load the ribbon, the one I have requires more work and finesse to get it to work. Great looking attachment.
I agree with you CWV. TAC went to a lot of trouble to re-create that attachment and I'm not sure why they'd leave out such a crucial component.

humanshoes

One Too Many
When I sit and ponder the very short list of things that are manufactured in this country today that will still be around and functional 100 years from now, I always make sure to include the wonderful steamers made by Jiffy. I recently acquired one of their units made in the 1940s and am astounded that it still works so well and by the amount of steam it produces. I feel quite certain that my newer production model steamers, including the 75th Anniversary model I purchased in 2015, will still be around 80-100 years from now and still doing the work they are intended to do, however, this old black beauty is my new favorite.
1940s Jiffy Steamer.JPG
Original Jiffy and 75th Anniversary Model.JPG
My Jiffys.JPG

When I sit and ponder the very short list of things that are manufactured in this country today that will still be around and functional 100 years from now, I always make sure to include the wonderful steamers made by Jiffy. I recently acquired one of their units made in the 1940s and am astounded that it still works so well and by the amount of steam it produces. I feel quite certain that my newer production model steamers, including the 75th Anniversary model I purchased in 2015, will still be around 80-100 years from now and still doing the work they are intended to do, however, this old black beauty is my new favorite.
View attachment 371395 View attachment 371396 View attachment 371397
Is it a Cast/Ductile Iron or a Cast Steel casing?

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
View attachment 371395 View attachment 371396 View attachment 371397
Making me jealous....again! :)
Great score.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto