Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

humanshoes

One Too Many
Thanks John and Bond. Bond, this looks like the perfect little iron for the job. I have a nice Sharper Image steam iron, but it's too cumbersome. For now just using steam and my homemade tolliker.

John Galt

Vendor
geseramu.jpg

Might be useful!

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

John Galt

Vendor
This guy sold on eBay a week or two ago. Not mine. I can't recall what they're called, but they are for refinishing I believe. Ole? I know you commented on one of these once...

5a2e5usy.jpg

re5e7uzu.jpg

4ebusyvy.jpg

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
It's a brass band block, used for keeping the hat in place during flanging of the brim. The "arc" in the one side of the brass band is used to cover the reed to protect it from the heat of the sandbag. I saw it some days ago, but fell in love with a brown Borsalino - and I have a Wilke Hommie coming too. It's hard to keep the trigger finger calm, but I have to prioritize with the US trip just a month away. Ain't good at it, but I'm sincerely trying :D

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks Ole! Here's the article in the old book you mentioned a while back about how to make a dimensional brim. This device would also work with a standard rounding jack to make an Indy type dimensional brim.

dehe5e9a.jpg

esubenaz.jpg

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Get an end of a laminated board from a company, making/installing kitchen tables and ask them to cut the hole with a bandsaw. The hole has appr. same profile/arch as the side of a crown - and the depth 1/2 to 2/3 of the width (side to side) of a crown. The exact shape not that critical.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I did an funny little observation today. On the back of our hat rulers, there's a size table. In this table, my ruler claims, that size 7 1/4 equals a head circumference of 22 5/4"!

What ...?!??!!! I thought, that was 23 1/4" :D

You Americans' rulers say, that 7 1/4 equals 23". Richard's say, that 7 1/4 equals 22 3/4", which btw. seems most correct. Quite obvious mine has a typo. The 5/4 should have been 3/4. Actually, they made the same error at hat size 7 3/4. On my ruler that is size 7 5/4 :)

Stamps with typos and other print-errors are more valuable. Does that go for hat rulers too? :D

John Galt

Vendor
my finishing bench is from the 1930s or 40s from the hatters supply house.

Can't say for sure, but I believe the ad I clipped was also HSH, so it's the same bench. I'll try to double check. Does it have legs, or just hang off the edge of the bench for ironing?

[Edit] Yes, I snipped it from HSH Instructions In Hat Cleaning, Renovating & Blocking, 1920.

8epa4uty.jpg

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
Here's a goodie I've been using a lot for deconstruction. I think Olé mentioned something like this a while back. I saw it at a sewing shop & bought it on impulse.

urytasar.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
I may be stretching "tools" a bit again, but this is interesting. The original reed in the old Stetson Nutria Quality hat I recently rebuilt was made of a starched (?) fibrous material a lot like rope. Another old Stetson Nutria Quality I rebuilt a while back had a reed that I am certain was made of wood resin or pitch wood.

teta4e9y.jpg

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
john ,I have that book. also the original hard cover of Scientific hat finishing and renovating. It was a excessed from the brooklyn public library, I got it about 25 years ago.

John Galt

Vendor
That's cool! I love looking at these old books again & again. I have a couple of others too, all in electronic format. I'm thinking of putting all the ones I have on a CD for loungers at a reasonable price after confirming they are all out of copyright.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland