Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

John Galt

Vendor
All projects:

9ezepuja.jpg

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
Bloc, I think it's earlier than the partnership of Allie Maillaird. Their partnership, I think, was in the 1840s and like I said, I think it was earlier. I have four formillions and they don't look like this. JMHO

John Galt

Vendor
Thank you MOK. Here's today's project.

On the right is the vintage hat stand, and on the left, one I made.

The top is finished with teak oil, but the bottom of the aromatic cedar button is left unfinished so as to better protect the hat against moths.

The spindle is a ready-made piece I spied at the hardware store, which I thought could be easily repurposed for this project. The button on top is just a disk cut from a cedar fence board, rounded with a belt sander & hand finished.

The base of mine is a bit narrower than the vintage model, but the stand still holds a hat just fine, and also clips to a shelf like the vintage one.

I did not have a suitable spring, so did without for this prototype. Many vintage models also lacked the spring & rope pull, incidentally.

I inadvertently drilled all the way through the button on top, and it could probably use a bit more hand sanding, but I think this prototype does prove the concept.

5usymu6e.jpg

Edit - here's the second attempt, which I find much more satisfactory.

ezu4ynah.jpg

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
Here's the old spinner that I finally picked up. I was surprised it wasn't bigger. Only 2 1/4" tall, 5 7/8" wide at the base, and 5 3/8" at the top. The spindle is exactly 1 inch tall, and is 3/4" in diameter.

ubyta2y3.jpg

And here's the Boston Hat Extender that's on its' way. I've never seen a stretcher marked quite like this one, although I have a stretcher that does have size markings. It should not be too hard to do something like this with one of the unmarked variety of hat stretcher.

ta9a4aru.jpg

"Faint hat never won fair lady"

Last edited:

bloc

One of the Regulars
Bloc, I think it's earlier than the partnership of Allie Maillaird. Their partnership, I think, was in the 1840s and like I said, I think it was earlier. I have four formillions and they don't look like this. JMHO

Yes. Only Maillaird's name on it. And an odd looking plot board. I can't work out how it would be used. Any ideas?

John Galt

Vendor
Wow! John.You've been busy.Love your tools and the hat stand is very cool.You guys keep giving me more and more ideas.

Truth be told, I've been stressed in my real job, and have needed this kind of therapy a lot to keep my balance...

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
Bloc, Anything I could say would only be a guess. I just do not know. I know how to use the ones I have.sorry I could not give you a better answer.

Banky

One of the Regulars
I believe though don't quote me on it, the block is covered with a straw hat body to reduce wear on the block when being used with a finger blocker.

John Galt

Vendor
Oliver, I think Banky is right about this - at least that's been the consensus regarding the other blocks like this. It is most certainly a straw hat body - I have several blocks like this, and have no doubt.

Finding a vintage flange in this size might prove difficult. I'm sure they are few and far between.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn