Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

theoldnorthwest

Familiar Face
Thanks again for your help Honey Doll. I just bought a couple of vintage blocks on eBay for a good price. According to the seller, the one marked 7 1/2 measures 23 3/4" same as yours. I will likely be ordering a new one from Hat Blocks Direct as well.

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Found 2 more blocks and 1 flange.Lighter colored block,5 1/4 7 1/2 GB.Dark block,5 3/4 7 1/4 518 Domke & Ulm.The flange 901 7 3/8 2 1/2 PEP http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt61/gokutdog/Octblocksandflanges005_zpsb5e11cb2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

John Galt

Vendor
Dogman, "GB" is George Brothers, out of Chicago, I think. I have ribbon and other materials bearing their mark. I don't know much about the company yet, except that they were in operation through at least 1951.

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Dogman, "GB" is George Brothers, out of Chicago, I think. I have ribbon and other materials bearing their mark. I don't know much about the company yet, except that they were in operation through at least 1951.
Thanks for the info.I wondered what the "GB" stood for.

John Galt

Vendor
Can't post the photo due to Tapatalk issues, but a 1910 Menswear blurb notes GB was started in 1893 by 4 brothers. By 1910, two had dropped out, one had died, and the company was selling finished clothing to pay its creditors.

I believe it continued to 1951 based on my conversation with the son of a hatter, who told me his father received hat making supplies purchased from the GB company as a gift upon opening his shop that year.

bloc

One of the Regulars
Antique Hat Measuring Tool

hat_measuring_tool.jpg

Got myself one of these. Will be very useful. But having a hard time getting my head round the numbers. The tool is not measuring what it says on the gauge, the measurements are out by between 2 and 4 sixteenths of an inch.

However, the hat size scale is different to the one I use. When I compare my measurements with my hat size chart the tool is much more accurate, spot on at times, occasionally up to 1/8 th inch out. But acceptable.

An example: the hat gauge says size 7 is 22 1/2 inches. I measure it's circumference at 22 1/4 inches. My (British) hat size guide says size 7 is 22 1/4 inches. So it is accurately measuring a size 7 hat but it's not measuring 22 1/2 inches.

It's good news because it's working fine. But I am confused. Any ideas on how these measurements work?

I'm sure that is very good advice. Can you advise on the math?

Without one of those hat-sizing gizmos, sizing an existing hat is a sometimes-hit-but-usually-miss exercise. And even with one, you don't really get a number you can take to the bank, for the reasons already cited.

Most custom makers will get, at minimum, the eventual wearer's measurement in inches or centimeters. Here in the States, the standard formula for calculating hat size is the wearer's measurement in inches divided by pi.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran