Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

humanshoes

One Too Many
#52 Hat Blocks.jpg
They are nice blocks and you got a good deal on that one. I have 52s from 7 to 7 5/8, but I'm missing the 7 1/8. I'll keep looking.

The block an the damaged flange were marked $75 for more than a year.Went on sale for $30.Deals are out there if your patient.

Great deal. I have no way of knowing just how knowledgable the antique peddler is, but I suspect that if he or she went to the trouble of looking online he or she knew that the block had value as something other than rustic decor.

I don't expect old-crap dealers to be experts on all manner of stuff that passes through their hands. But I can cite a couple of incidents of such characters pretending to knowledge they didn't really have. There was the person at the antiques and vintage fair in Portland, Oregon, who told me that the 3X Stetsons were the highest quality hats Stetson produced. And then there was the guy who told me that a wool felt cowboy hat he had on offer was easily worth a couple hundred bucks. I see no point in telling such people they are full of ****, or why I know that to be the case. They'd just get defensive, I suspect, and angry. I just roll my eyes and turn my back, and remind myself that there have always been dishonest people.

Well, here's a rounding jack even you can probably live with Joao. Just finished this supersized jack for our very own Esther in Antwerp. It will trim out to 21cm, or about 8 1/4" ...

Looks like a nice tool, 'shoes. I already have more rounding jacks than I need, so I'm not in the market for another. But if I were, I'd be looking you up. If you don't mind saying, how much are you getting for those?

yeezus_christ

New in Town
Well, here's a rounding jack even you can probably live with Joao. Just finished this supersized jack for our very own Esther in Antwerp. It will trim out to 21cm, or about 8 1/4" for my metrically challenged brain. Btw, nice old hat stretchers. Mine was made by the Grand Mfg. Corp. and is still in excellent working order, although I have never had the need or the guts to use the heat.

So dope fam. Looks fire

humanshoes

One Too Many
Looks like a nice tool, 'shoes. I already have more rounding jacks than I need, so I'm not in the market for another. But if I were, I'd be looking you up. If you don't mind saying, how much are you getting for those?
Hey tonyb, thanks for your input. I built this one for Esther for $165 plus shipping to Antwerp. It was interesting to me when she expressed that rounding jacks are not a common tool in Europe.
Thanks for the compliment yeesus. Of course, I came up in the 70s when the words dope and fire had completely different, yet equally positive, meanings. Glad we have a guy like Moon around to translate.
It's already happened to me Fruno. Nowadays, if I don't know what it is, I just leave it alone.

Hey tonyb, thanks for your input. I built this one for Esther for $165 plus shipping to Antwerp. It was interesting to me when she expressed that rounding jacks are not a common tool in Europe. ...

Very reasonable price. Should I hear of people shopping for one, I wouldn't hesitate to send 'em your way. Provided that's okay with you.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Thanks tonyb. It's certainly fine with me if you send some folks my way. I never really intended to be a hat tool maker though. I just wanted to make a few for my own personal use, but it seems there are more people out there doing hatwork than I imagined.

Anyone ever see a bowler hat form like this? I can't imagine this was used for anything other than making paper mache party hats. I think it is tinned steel and not aluminum; certainly feels heavier than aluminum. As you can see it has a couple of dents from being dropped and they can't be worked out like aluminum, at least not by me. It fits me about like a 7-1/4 would, I think. No markings of any kind. I've had this a long time. I'm going to start making tin foil bowlers for the conspiracy crowd.

30darrb.jpg
zven1x.jpg
1zyk8cx.jpg
qzirdu.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner