Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

Block Maker

New in Town
John: Two books I would recommend are "The Handmade Felt Hat" by Debbie Henderson and "Felt, Silk, Straw Handmade Hats - Tools and Processes" by Mary Elizabeth McLellan.

Block Maker: Sorry, but my hat shop is a one-may operation and my wife does the trimming and the straw hats. But thanks for asking.

No worries…can't blame a guy for trying!

John Galt

Vendor
John, nothing on his etsy site, just a message under construction with what looks like a drawing of the Hindenburg!

Gentlemen and ladies, Dylan's email address is: aerialcopper@gmail.com, and he has authorized me to share it with you. He's advised me he's going to be away from home for a week and plans to start stitch awl production when he returns.

The time is ripe.

Last edited:

Block Maker

New in Town
Gentlemen and ladies, Dylan's email address is: aerialcopper@gmail.com, and he has authorized me to share it with you. He's advised me he's going to be away from home for a week and plans to start stitch awl production when he returns.

The time is ripe.

Mine was ordered last week….if it works 1/2 as good as it looks…it will be leaps and bounds over the one I have now!

John Galt

Vendor
Seen on eBay:

eze7yjed.jpg

yzu6esuq.jpg

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
IMG_0920.JPG John: Again, from my collection is the Handy Hatter and two bottles of Luton's straw dye--not quite the same as the one you showed. Also, as far as the tip stand is concerned, it could be a tip stand by a different manufacturer but I always thought that the piece that goes inside the hat should be wider so you could iron the top of the hat.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great packaging on those dyes and 'Handy Hatter' - thanks both for sharing them.

Luton is still the straw hat making centre for the UK, presumably that's why the 'Luton' dyes were named that way...

John Galt

Vendor
Hatter4, I love your posts! Here is an open style flange stand. This was purchased from a man whose grandfather and father were both hatters, and who grew up helping out in his father's shop. The stand is a George Bros., purchased by the grandfather for his son in 1951 as part of the startup investment in the latter's shop.

gu3uvuma.jpg

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
IMG_0927.JPG IMG_0928.JPG These are called edge irons. Left to right - first one has no manufacturer's mark but it says 1/4" edge; the middle one "Drake Engineering Co. 3/16" edge; and the right one is manufactured by M. Mirren, NY - 1/8" by 3/16".

The other photo is a side view of the middle one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner