Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
humanshoes, what I would use is boiled linseed oil. I use it on my finishing bench, bottom board, and some tools. I never had a problem. sometimes I need to re-sand it and ad new linseed oil.

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks, JG. I'll get in touch with him Monday. I'll let you know how it goes.

Humanshoes - that is some beautiful work. What kind of wood do you use?

Hatter - what I love about your tools is that they are works of art all by themselves. It's great just looking at them. Thanks.

+1 x2 re HS' work and H4's tools.

The bell spinner and giant rounding jack are stunning. Your collection is truly awesome. Thank you for sharing it with us.

bloc

One of the Regulars
Just pulled apart an old sweat, ferrule it appears to be 30 pound salt water monofilament. I was thinking thin swizzle stirrers may work as a ferrule. Just a thought. Looking for some swizzlers HA! BTW Humanshoes your on it as to fishing line! Regards!

What's a swizzle stirrer??

John Galt

Vendor
They're brass. Do you think that's a problem?

Well, not for many years probably, but vintage men's hats often have green verdigris from brass (I believe ?) ferrules, so I went with steel roll pins to try to avoid that.

(Didn't see Olė'a post - what he said).

John Galt

Vendor
Received the new rounding jack today. Pleasantly surprised to learn it takes old flat razor blades - pulled out to demonstrate.

by4uta5y.jpg

unyrynem.jpg

7u6y6a6u.jpg

The ruler is interesting - it is imprinted onto the body, the rest of which has been stained.

I've photographed the hardware - maybe it will help some of you guys:

umymy2e8.jpg

7yvahytu.jpg

uba4uzam.jpg

7emuvaje.jpg

gu9e2ygu.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
I find no maker's mark. This appears to be a much newer version than the one that takes a carbon steel blade. Wood looks to be poplar.

John Galt

Vendor
Hatters irons found at an antique store today for $5 each. I'm confident they are not toys because they have adult sized handles.

ymu3ezat.jpg

7a4u6e7e.jpg

Still have to sand rust off of one .

John Galt

Vendor
Candlestick holder spinner conversions. The broader based one is shorter & more stable. I'll be adding a wider base to the other, which was the prototype.

y3egeruj.jpg

vybapa4a.jpg

Having no boiled linseed oil handy, I oiled the spindle with teak oil, which is also good choice for hardwood because it "hardens in the wood not on the wood." Then I waxed it.

A note: If you try this project (and why not, it's an easy one) make sure to sand the taper hole well to remove any wax residue before gluing the spindle in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner