Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

John Galt

Vendor
Hatter4 wrote:

"The undesirable aspect of this, however, was that it heated the handle as well, so they had to be held with a potholder or thick glove."

That's why Mrs. Potts' removable handle in 1871 was such an improvement:

4u3eqe5u.jpg

majormoore

Vendor
I have one also, have used it many times, I have it, the ones that you heat up and also have two brim curling machines.
Sure wish Hatters Supply was still open and in business these days

Major Moore

Wow! That looks like it would really do the trick on a pencil curl. Also great that you have the original ad from the supply house. Thanks for sharing.

John Galt

Vendor
I think there is an ad or a list of tools in the back of scientific hat making.

There are ads in The American Hatter too - I will dig around & find some this weekend. I was thinking, though, that it would be neat to see a more modern catalogue. I'll search around ;-)

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
my latest catalog is 1939 hatters supply of chicago.also i have the first four vol. of the hat worker the unitied hatters union newspaper 1938 1939 1940 & 1941 Interesting reading.

Mr.Astor

Banned
John- you have your Leko and various other supplier's. Some of the British site's I have found are very good but the pound make's doing business prohibitive. I don't think much has changed in a hundred and fifty years, it's an artisan craft! Died,revived, died,thankfully with this forum it won't go away! I collect classic car's it is very difficult to get youngster's into the hobby, we have forums,classes, most of them don't realize what a combustion engine does or WHY! Same as a hat! We have to teach them that it is an extension of your personality! A Yankee ball cap doesn't cut it,you will see yourself coming and going 10 time's a day.

-30-

A-List Customer
The Hatters Supply House catalog O - 1948:

The Justrite Safety Can & the Hat Stretcher are the only pieces of equipment continuing to be available.

Regards,
J T

Mayserwegener Some of these prints were use in a book called " the Hatters of the Eighteenth - Century France" by Michael Sonenscher

These belong to the library collection (they were sent to me by the curator) at Novy Jicin city museum* so I assume they are scans or photos of originals (not sure of the source). "Der Huthmacher" (The Hat Maker) is German although not the spelling you see today "Der Hutmacher". Also the other words are German. I found that J.D. Phillipin was a accomplished woman engraver from Leipzig. I guess the author used them because they fit the time period but the engravings are German not French.

13005445144_539329900b_o.jpg

* Novy Jicin, Czech Republic was Neutitschein , Austria prior to WWI. It was one of the major hat centers of Central Europe. The companies (Johann Hückel´s Söhne, A. Peschel, Brüder Böhm ) were known for the finest Velour finishes. JHS became (nationalized) TONAK after WWII and is still in business at the same factory location (JHS was the largest factory in Central Europe and the TONAK is the largest in the world today). The Novy Jicin city museum has over 6000 hats in their collection and all kinds of hat making tools and machinery.

http://www.mestoklobouku.cz/en/navstevnicke-centrum/

http://www.muzeumnj.cz/zerotinsky-zamek-v-novem-jicine/aktualni-akce/nechte-na-hlave.html

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran