Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

DOGMAN

One Too Many
When I first spotted them just wanted to run right up and grab them.Managed to keep my cool didn't want to let the gentleman know how much I really wanted them.Was able to negotiate a price I am very happy with.$50 for both it was a great day.

majormoore

Vendor
I have 4 of these machines, two that do the larger letters and two machines that do a smaller letter, I use one of the smaller ones all the time.

Major Moore
John: Congratulations on your latest find, the Cummins Initial Machine.I have one, but it is a different model. Mine is called a Cummin's Junior which just means the letters are smaller. View attachment 11486

John Galt

Vendor
Great find Dogman! Very nice price indeed.

Thanks for the info Major Moore & Hatter4.

I will let you know what I think of the initial machine when it arrives, but the hunt will continue for the Jr. Initial Machine :)

In the meantime, I feel that I have made great progress on my BRONZE foot tolliker. I just finished working on the handle & the stain is drying, but here's the working end, in near-finished form. It's got a bit of a bevel on the leading edge (it is right handed) and is very much foot-shaped (I know that's not why they are called foot tollikers, but it is ;-)).

nupehy4u.jpg

yvezaje3.jpg

demagyhy.jpg

u4ase2e4.jpg

junyne5a.jpg

Edit - Here it is with the handle, unfinished & not yet screwed down...

7aduvuve.jpg

u6abybeh.jpg

vabu9eba.jpg

And now, finished:

2u2unytu.jpg

umypyzar.jpg

This has been a lot of work, but the proof of concept is a roaring success in my mind. I have a potentially interested buyer, but if he doesn't bite, I will be listing this on eBay and buying more materials with the profits (if any).

I am quite excited about this project.

John

Last edited:

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
Mug1.JPG Here is an interesting mug in my collection I thought you might like to see. I have had it so long I don't remember where I got it. It is for a hatter and as you can see it shows him using a conformateur.

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks! Great old mug H4!

Further fodder regarding hat rulers & sizing, from an eBay auction, a Stevens hat ruler (not mine).

tuqusu2u.jpg

2ajezute.jpg

And from another auction, a Dorfman:

2aha4yje.jpg

And a Langenberg:

ezyzenum.jpg

Last edited:

OT1899

Familiar Face
Great find Dogman! Very nice price indeed.

Thanks for the info Major Moore & Hatter4.

I will let you know what I think of the initial machine when it arrives, but the hunt will continue for the Jr. Initial Machine :)

In the meantime, I feel that I have made great progress on my BRONZE foot tolliker. I just finished working on the handle & the stain is drying, but here's the working end, in near-finished form. It's got a bit of a bevel on the leading edge (it is right handed) and is very much foot-shaped (I know that's not why they are called foot tollikers, but it is ;-)).

nupehy4u.jpg

yvezaje3.jpg

demagyhy.jpg

u4ase2e4.jpg

junyne5a.jpg

Edit - Here it is with the handle, unfinished & not yet screwed down...

7aduvuve.jpg

u6abybeh.jpg

vabu9eba.jpg

And now, finished:

2u2unytu.jpg

umypyzar.jpg

This has been a lot of work, but the proof of concept is a roaring success in my mind. I have a potentially interested buyer, but if he doesn't bite, I will be listing this on eBay and buying more materials with the profits (if any).

I am quite excited about this project.

John

Just a quick question: Is there a risk of "tarnish transfer" to the hat with use?

This is from a while ago but thought I would post it here.

**************************************************************************************

This hat maker was out of East Germany (Ernst Gierisch, Zwickau) .

I contacted the DE eBay seller and this is what he had to say. I will have to check back with him on the current situation.

Google translation.

"hello,

It is an ancient hatters and furriers (furrier) workshop, it was founded in 1887, all I have pictures on the ground was found in different chambers, there were produced until about 1960 hats and furs. I try this nice workshop closed for several weeks and sell it together but unfortunately this is not easy. It would be a shame to sell everything individually and tear apart. I'm still waiting for something then I have to go in the retail sale. 2 books in the small manufacturing concerns and care of fur.
salute to America,
regards uwe"

6521067423_978a61ec04_z.jpg

6521067341_7eb7aa58ee_z.jpg

6521067295_8a87246b13_z.jpg

6521067229_12df52afbc_z.jpg

6521067151_ccd2980552_z.jpg

6521067107_21a29ee8c0_z.jpg

6521067061_0b07b8ce27_z.jpg

6521066989_e9169cd751_z.jpg

6521066953_6ef57b8295_z.jpg

6521066901_74c06b9cd1_z.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
Just a quick question: Is there a risk of "tarnish transfer" to the hat with use?

Well, with regular use and/or polishing, I would not expect much tarnish to transfer. Bronze generally tarnishes only superficially, before "curing."

There is, of course, a risk of tarnish/rust transfer when there is active oxidation, but that is the same with any tool. I kicked myself firmly when I got rust on a (thankfully dark colored) hat using an old iron hatter's iron some time back that still had rust in some pits after sanding. Now I know that collectors often set them in vinegar to remove such rust.

Bronze is a copper/tin alloy, whereas brass is a copper/zinc alloy. I do not know how they differ in terms of use for these purposes, but historically the mixtures overlapped for copper (latten) alloys, which makes them difficult to classify. I understand this often leads museums to designate items as being made of "copper alloy" rather than brass or bronze.

Wikipedia notes: "Brass is often used in situations where it is important that sparks not be struck, as in fittings and tools around explosive gases," and I imagine this fact more than any other accounts for its use by hatters more than bronze (although I don't yet know how they compare in that regard).

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
More info from Wickipedia;

Unlike steel, bronze struck against a hard surface will not generate sparks, so it (along with beryllium copper) is used to make hammers, mallets, wrenches and other durable tools to be used in explosive atmospheres or in the presence of flammable vapors.

Bronze is used to make bronze wool for woodworking applications where steel wool would discolor oak.

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
I have brass foot tolickers and copper shackel irons, and never had any trouble. Iron rust I have had on a light grey hat, for the Iron I used sand paper and 3&1 oil it cut the rust on the iron.

-30-

A-List Customer
If of any interest, Don has a vintage 6 3/4" what some would call a "hat jack" or "size maintainer".

Real Old World but with a small, non injurious crack; it being more of a Gentleman's Tool

than a roughly finished factory example. I would have bought it myself

as a "second" for my collection, but too small.

http://delake.com/

Regards,
J T

John Galt

Vendor
Glad you guys keep it going when I'm not around ;-)

I've been in trial, and they are called that for a reason.

Here's a new purchase $125 shipped!

2uqehu7y.jpg

A couple of you guys have been very patiently waiting. I'll get your items out soon now that I have a minute or two. Lawyers are supposed to live in 6 minute increments, but I've been living in 1 minute increments for weeks...

John Galt

Vendor
Stretchers:

Boston, 4-Way

3e9u4udu.jpg

Bullhide, unbranded 6 3/4

vyhesa6u.jpg

Unbranded Circa 1951 - thin, unbranded last century 6 3/4 - major taper

tujupa3u.jpg

Two way ;-)

4ebeja4u.jpg

Last edited:

DOGMAN

One Too Many
John,great deal on your electric hat stretcher.Does it have the cord?Even if it doesn't heat I think it's a great deal.I purchased a non electric one for about that price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran