Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

Wow! A lot of info there. Gotta get me a Gottfried. Can't believe he's actually doing it all from start to finish. What sort of price for the hat you bought?
Velours were around $100.00. I am not sure of his current status since he is in his mid 80s. Kiniger definitely follows old techniques (felt and hat making) which the Der Hutmacher film documents. The end product is interesting but not high level felt and hat making. The JHS Superior Crystal Velour I posted is an example of super high end machine assisted felt and hat making (pretty much everything was made in house much by secret processes) and beyond the capabilities of an individual hat maker of the time period (everything would have to be sourced).

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks, I will. Tom Gonzalez messaged me about it too, which was pretty cool.

The initial machine has been in town for 3 days, but hasn't been delivered. I called & am going to the PO Tuesday to sort it out.

John Galt

Vendor
Cool hat tools, including a heart tolliker in a format I'd not seen before. Grabbed from a web page:

aju2e5u2.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
I got mine today - it works well on paper, and has letters about 1/2 inch high. Pretty cool, and my law partner already asked me to punch his hat. I thought it wouldn't need to be mounted in light of the foot, but it does. It is quite heavy, but still wobbles if not bolted down.

outsidebear

New in Town
This is my 1st Post in the Forum. Joined the Forum today. Regards to all. Have read all of this Post.
On page 1, a Post by fletch31 shows 1 of 9 rounding jacks I made in 2007, along with 4 other more ornate designed rounding jacks. Guess I'm too new to be able to post an attachment or would post pictures. I will jump around and do 15 posts, maybe then? Have pictures of the 4 ornate ones to share, along with a batch of rounding jacks I made in 2011. Have sold a few to MT and ID custom hatters, with some left to part with. Again, when able to post attachments and PM will Post some pictures.
I've been tinkering with hats for about 14 years now. I build at indoor shows/events and also attend outdoor horse and mule events in the Pacific Northwest and other parts of the country in my travels. Some might know the name Buffalo Hats?
again, regards to all, Bear

outsidebear

New in Town
If read through this entire thread on tools, GREAT presentations n' discussions. Figured it'd be ok to share a few items I've tinkered with.
In 2007 made 9 regular rounding jacks and 4 a bit ornate. In 2011 made a few more, with an improvement on the 2007 model. I'm fiddling around with a design for a simpler and less pricey type of rounding jack - more than one way to invent a wheel, eh!
The small round discs with upright handles were made for conforming a flat top (instead of a rounded top on the inside top of a telescope shape hat - it works ok, but I normally use an old metal 3" metal Kodak film can).
rounding jack photos April 2014 001.JPG

outsidebear

New in Town
In 2011 I made some improvements to the 2007 model. With the 2007 model you needed to push down the lower metal plate, with the 2011 improved model you don't push down the bottom metal plate, rather you start your cut from the outer most edge of the brim, then begin the cut in-towards the base of the crown. When the rounding jack comes up against the base of the crown (this is an approach at an angle) you keep moving it on around the base of the crown, going completely around the base of the crown and run the blade back into with the cut your first began with. It's almost like using a National (Chicago/New York) aluminum 1/8", 1/4", 1/2" edge trimming tool.
The wood is black walnut; metal is aluminum (lighter weight than using brass); and the cutting blade is a #19 X-Acto blade with 45 degree angle. I'm not saying this for marketing, but to pre-answer some questions, k'. Rounding jacks June 2011 033.JPG Rounding jacks June 2011 014.JPG Rounding jacks June 2011 027.JPG

outsidebear

New in Town
Over the years have accumulated a few rounding jacks, some I made, most have come up with here n' there in my wandering ways!
The two at upper left corner are from 2011, the one at left center is from 2007. Third one from top left was bought National Betty Page around 2001. The others are from long before most of us were around in knee pants!! It would nice if anyone might offer forth a potential time frame the others may have been made? enjoy

Attachments

• rounding jacks 8 each 001.JPG
    rounding jacks 8 each 001.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 149

outsidebear

New in Town
Here's all but one that I made in 2011. Creating with my hands brings a lot of personal enjoyment....and to do this many, ya gotta have the love n' passion Rounding jacks June 2011 012.JPG making such things!!

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Finally finished the 3 rounding jacks I made today.Also a couple of stands to hold them.One with a hobby knife,another with a box cutter,and the third a scalpel. tobucket.com/albums/tt61/gokutdog/008_zpsa6a20dfa.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats