Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

I wish it was wider than 2 ½”, but when you have a chance to buy a 7 ¾ flange at a good price you don’t get picky.

IMG_5782.jpeg
IMG_5781.jpeg

Last edited:
Patented in 1938 for Laundry use of stretching/re-forming, Peaked/Service cap covers.
1712787286729.png
1712787323474.png

This one is a Cavanagh Kaki officers cap disassembled, to give you the idea what is being done. Many Cap covers can be removed for cleaning........(not all, some of the officers green caps are Fur Felt, just like a hat. I do have a couple, and they are NICE.)
1712787781435.png

1712787833528.png
1712787877923.png

EDIT: Here is the complete cap.
1712789357854.png

Last edited:

RickP

One of the Regulars
Had seen drawings of brim ironing flanges like this in old books, but Ive never seen an old orignal in the wild... So I made one. I have several traditional flanges for my snap brim hats, but Im fond of the modest outback style curves down in front and back so I used my Akubra Lawson to figure out the curve. Made it big enough to handle a 3 1/2" brim. Works really well for ironing whomper jawed brims without causing issues to the crown (much better than a flat surface)
Compress_20240524_132818_8333.jpg

Had seen drawings of brim ironing flanges like this in old books, but Ive never seen an old orignal in the wild... So I made one. I have several traditional flanges for my snap brim hats, but Im fond of the modest outback style curves down in front and back so I used my Akubra Lawson to figure out the curve. Made it big enough to handle a 3 1/2" brim. Works really well for ironing whomper jawed brims without causing issues to the crown (much better than a flat surface) View attachment 616272
That is a nice one. I have a number of vintage ones picked up from milliners. I made myself a 'belly board' which just a board sloped north to south. I use it to put in the 'packer' style bash to a brim

RickP

One of the Regulars
That is a nice one. I have a number of vintage ones picked up from milliners. I made myself a 'belly board' which just a board sloped north to south. I use it to put in the 'packer' style bash to a brim
Ive found a few old beater hats with stretched areas and just wouldnt respond very well to more traditional brim flanges and steaming. They often come out pretty decent on this board....not exactly the original shaping, but hey it gets them back into the rotation, and get a few comments, because folks havent seen one exactly like it before. Ive been thinking of sewing up a light canvas presser pad with a cutout for the crown. Then use a router to cut a cord groove in the side like my other flanges so I could iron, steam, snug the canvas down and leave it to dry under gentle pressure

RickP

One of the Regulars
Had seen drawings of brim ironing flanges like this in old books, but Ive never seen an old orignal in the wild... So I made one. I have several traditional flanges for my snap brim hats, but Im fond of the modest outback style curves down in front and back so I used my Akubra Lawson to figure out the curve. Made it big enough to handle a 3 1/2" brim. Works really well for ironing whomper jawed brims without causing issues to the crown (much better than a flat surface) View attachment 616272
LOL...I just looked at my picture... I know Ive worked on some troublesome hats over the years, but I promise I DO NOT use a hammer on them... I was doing something else with the mallet before I took this picture

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL