Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pics of Your FlightJacket.com A-2

Saxswinger

New in Town
Hey gang!

New member here. Thinking about purchasing a budget A-2 from Flightjacket.com. Does anyone have any pictures of this jacket on? I'd like to see some other than what's on their site. I'm doing USAAF this season and need a jacket that I won't mind roughing up coming in and out of flight gear and planes. The look and fit are most important to me due to my impression and Eastman is out of my budget. Any help would be appreciated. Many Thanks!

- Jay

kiltie

Practically Family
I'm sure you've looked around and seen the debates about these A-2s on this sight. Having said that, I do have one, and as soon as I can get somebody to shoot a pic of me, I'll post it ( hopefully within the next few hours ). On the plus side, for me, I'm a little 'long-waisted', so the length problem a lot of folks have when ordering their usual size isn't really an issue for me. 'Tunneling' in the cuffs? Also not that big a deal. If I'm feeling really inspired - and my scanner cooperates - I'll add some vintage pics showing how widely varying the fit of these things were, despite all the hemming and hawing you read. But hey, I'm no expert.
On the downside: it is a bit heavy. Say maybe as thick and a half as it oughtta be, comparing it to a Real McCoy's.
The finish/dye...whatever...also leaves something to be desired, but for the price and delivery in a matter of a coupla days: high instant gratification factor.
'Course, you could probably score something comparably priced and more authentic on ebay.
More later...

Edit: I found one crummy picture on my phone. It doesn't show the color or how well it's broken in it is, buuuuut...

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/IMG_0680.jpg

Last edited:

Saxswinger

New in Town
Kiltie,

Thanks for the info and your photo! Is that their Medium Brown Goatskin?
Looks like a good fit on you. I'll appreciate any more photos you can provide. I'm really thinking these jackets fit the bill for what I need.

Saxswinger

New in Town
Jay is that you? Winner of the Mannequin Man award at the dinner?

Heya Matt!

Indeed, tis I. The recipient of the Mannequin Man award has joined 'the Lounge'.
Glad to see someone I know on here! Any other Cap Wing boys on board?
If it's all right with you, I'll add you to my friends list...once I figure out all that stuff.
- JB

kiltie

Practically Family
First, the obligatory apology for looking a little 'off' in these pics. I'm getting a little old to be acting as foolish as I do at times...

Now, as you can better see in these pics, this is the horsehide in russet. The thing is built really, really well, and I can't remember anyone having a complaint in that regard. I usually wear a 46, and I think this is a pretty decent fit in 46. In other threads, folks did recommend ordering down when giving advise, and in some cases, it seemed to be warranted. Whether that was a matter of guys just not knowing their real jacket size or the size running a little big, I couldn't say, but in the last pic, you can see I wouldn't be able to size down.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/DSC00147.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/DSC00148.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/DSC00149.jpg

Edit: Haha!! I seem to be leaning a bit, which isn't unusual for me, but I was really trying to stand up straight. I dunno why that is...

Last edited:

Saxswinger

New in Town
Now, as you can better see in these pics, this is the horsehide in russet. The thing is built really, really well, and I can't remember anyone having a complaint in that regard.

Kiltie,

Thanks for posting up those photos. The jacket really looks great. I too am leaning towards the horsehide in russet.
How long have you had yours? Did you find it hard to "break-in"?

-JB

kiltie

Practically Family
Thanks!
I got that jacket right at the beginning of the fall. As far as breaking it in; for several days, any time I sat down to read or watch a movie, I had it in my lap rolling it and squashing it. For the rest of the season and into our comparatively mild South Texas winter, it got heavy use at the expense of the rest of my outerwear. In any event, it'll likely never have the patina that say, an Eastman gets. I experimented with some 800 grit on the zipper pull, but didn't care for the results at all, so I didn't touch the jacket shell. Ask me again in about five years.
The only higher end jacket I've had to compare it to - as far as an A2 goes - is a Real McCoy's. The color of the Flightjackets is less red and, as I said before, it is a bit heavier. This has obvious pros and cons. Sadly, night before last is probably the last wear it will see for a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany