Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

picture request: Far From Heaven

wahine

Practically Family
Hello ladies!
My personal tailor - aka my aunt - needs something to do to avoid becoming a bored retired gal. So I thought I'd ask her to make a new dress for me. :D I'm totally in love with the auburn day dress Julianne Moore wears in Far From Heaven. Unfortunately, I have no proper pictures to show to my auntie.
If anyone has pictures of this dress - the bigger, the better - I'd be grateful!

This is what I'm talking about:

The sleeves! :happy: *swoon*

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
Sadly I can´t help you but I have to thank you for sharing the name of the movie. I watched it on tv some time ago, really liked it and then forgot the name as I always do. Not only is the story a very nice (well, as "nice"as a story about a mid-century racist neighbourhood can be) one but the costumes are great, too!

Maybe you can find the dvd in your local library or video rental shop and make a big screenshot for your aunt?

wahine

Practically Family
You're very welcome. Maybe it's also interesting for you that the movie was inspired by the work of Douglas Sirk, a director of German origin who made e.g. All That Heaven Allows (Was der Himmel erlaubt), Imitation of Life (Solange es Menschen gibt), and Written In The Wind (In den Wind geschrieben) - all very recommendable imho.

The idea to get the movie somewhere isn't all that bad. Maybe a good excuse to even buy the DVD..? ;)

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I went to see this film on my own as my husband refused to watch such a 'girls' film so I sat there on my own with a large box of chocs surrounded by pensioners and it was marvellous!

When Julianne Moore finds her husband with his male lover (not actually doing anything!) and the penny drops, all the older folks gasped!

Sorry, off topic. Great costumes and a great movie too.

wahine

Practically Family
Haha, I can imagine those elderly people gasping! Considering that this is sort of a (very free) remake of All That Heaven Allows, they probably expected something else. While in the original movie the broken taboo was only the class and age barrier, in Far From Heaven there was the "race barrier", plus homosexuality. That's a tough pill to swallow for some people.

I think the movie was very well done, and I loved the costumes so much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR