Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pike Mennonite Dress Hat

Tony, I've also been commenting for years that, while the Amish (or Dutch folk) dress in old-fashioned styles, the fabric used is indeed poly. Strange.

But so far the hats are natural straw and fur felt.

Side note: They are / were German speaking people not Dutch.

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I had a flying cloud hat once. I loved everything about it except it was too big. Leather sweatband, thick, stiff felt. I liked the ribbon and binding as well because it was more like a grey or charcoal against the jet black felt. Been casually looking for another in my size.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1404157855963.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1404157855963.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 2,800

Landman

One Too Many
bowlerman, that hat looks good on you.

I actually don't mind a stiff felt on a hat as long as I can get the crown and brim the way I want it. It sounds like these may be too stiff to make any drastic changes to the crease and brim.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
Side note: They are / were German speaking people not Dutch.
The form of German spoken by Amish is referred to as Pennsylvania Dutch. The Amish community is also sometimes referred to as Pennsylvania Dutch, which is probably where AdamH got "Dutch" from.

Another name oddity is a particular Amish hatshop called "Irishtown Hats".

It's funny to see this thread. When I first started using Fedora Lounge on a regular basis, there was thread called "No love for black hats", where someone was bemoaning their purchase of an Akubra Fed IV in black. I suppose the difference is whether or not the wearer wants to look Amish (or even orthodox Jewish).

Does anyone know anything about the brim flange used on the Pike Mennonite hat? I might ask for one like that on a custom homburg.

Last edited:
The form of German spoken by Amish is referred to as Pennsylvania Dutch. The Amish community is also sometimes referred to as Pennsylvania Dutch, which is probably where AdamH got "Dutch" from.

Another name oddity is a particular Amish hatshop called "Irishtown Hats".

It's funny to see this thread. When I first started using Fedora Lounge on a regular basis, there was thread called "No love for black hats", where someone was bemoaning their purchase of an Akubra Fed IV in black. I suppose the difference is whether or not the wearer wants to look Amish (or even orthodox Jewish).

Does anyone know anything about the brim flange used on the Pike Mennonite hat? I might ask for one like that on a custom homburg.

Yes I am aware of the term. I was just pointing out that they were German speaking people not Dutch.

The brim flange is the most important aspect of a Homburg style hat. It should look like this Mayser (I have many Homburgs).

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5281/5224029121_b4cde8516e_b.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I also like that flange on their Mennonite hat. Almost entirely flat. I wish they sold that in sand!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
I believe the term Pennsylvania Dutch came out of the mispronunciation of the German word for German "Deutsch".
Amish are very easy going people. If you get to know the manufacturer of the hats I think he might make a few modified hats. My dad knew an Amish buggy maker and he made my parents a special buggy blanket that didn't include the rubber lining which blocks wind while riding in a buggy.

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
I have worn Amish barn door pants in Amish communities for years without hearing or feeling any ill will about it. So I think if anything Amish folks would be honored, and probably a little amused, that you want to wear their hats.

I have worn broadfall trousers for years.
We used to get them for period-correct summer uniforms at Fort Pulaski as living history of pre-War Between the States soldiers.
I got some in denim as well.
My home county has a large Mennonite community. Nobody showed the least bit of interest to my wearing these for the last 25-30 years or so...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy