Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pillow and Mattress Ticking?

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I bought a couple of shirts yesterday from a chain store named Academy. They have a clothing line called Austin Jean Co. The shirts are nothing spectacular or even vintage looking, I buy this brand because their shirts have sleeves and tails that are long enough for me and they are all cotton. These two shirts look like they were made out of old timey mattress and pillow ticking, when I button them at the collar they do lend to an air of old timeyness.

My question...from what period was Ticking a popular shirt material? I have seen some Victorian and Edwardian period collarless shirts made of what appears to be Ticking, but did it extend into the last century?

Thank you for you kind responses...

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Just finished reading a history of the Spanish American War and it had illustrations of theCuban soldiers wearing mattress ticking shirts- that would put it in the 1890's.
I've also seen a lot of the Cowboy Action Shooting guys wearing shirts that have that same pattern, but the fabric is much lighter. That would be a time frame of say circa 1860-1870 or so.
Some of the banded collar shirts are pretty cool in hte mattress ticking pattern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo