Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pilot autographs

Jake

One of the Regulars
Does anyone else out there collect these? I keep my collection to only pilots I have personally met. So far I have... Pappy Boyington, (Black sheep) Tex Hill, (Flying Tigers) George Gay, (Sole survivor Torpedo Squadron 8) Robert Morgan, (Memphis Belle) Travis Hoover, (Pilot plane #2 Dolittle Raid). I Feel fortunate to have met these men before they passed away.

MikeyB17

One of the Regulars
Hi Jake,
Can't say I collect pilot autographs, but I was pleasantly surprised a few months ago when I brought home a second-hand book I'd just bought (The Quest for Mach 1-a damn good book which I was pleased enough to find as it was), opened it up to the title page and found a compliments slip stuck there with an autograph on it-Chuck Yeager! Not bad for £10! Also a few of my books on the AAF are signed by the authors, none by anyone really famous unless you're into books of course. My copy of 'Nanette' by Edwards Park ( a true classic about P-39 pilots in the Pacific) is signed, as is my copy of 'Countdown' by Fred Koger, a B-17 bombardier with the 92nd Bomb group. Not the same as getting them signed in person though!

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Yeah, I too have a number of signatures from some of the men of the greatest generation.

I have signatures from Robert Morgan and Jim Verinis, the pilot and co-pilot of the Memphis Belle in the book "Memphis Belle - Home at Last" which has also been signed by the now deceased author Menno Dureksen.

I also have Frank D. Murphy's signature in his book "Luck of the Draw" about his amazing experiences as a navigator for the B-17 of the same name which was shot down and he was then taken to Stalag Luft III and participated in a large part of The Great Escape. While he was signing it, I was also able to snag a signature from another B-17 veteran who served as the crew engineer on another plane in Murphy's group, though his name escapes me at the moment.

I have the signature of Tuskegee Airman Charles W. Dryden in his book, "A-Train."

I have the signature of a Pearl Harbor veteran in his book, but for the life of me, I can't find it at the moment and his name escapes me.

I have the interesting signature of one more veteran. I have the signature of Irvin Kershner, a B-24 navigator in WWII and now famous as the director of The Empire Strikes Back. I have his flourishing autograph on an early shooting script of the film.

Finally, as an aside - My father has the signature of the now deceased Margaret Polk, the actual Memphis Belle who was Morgan's girlfriend in the states during the war. He named the plane after her. She signed a Memphis Belle - Home at Last poster for my father in the 1980s.

My grandfather has also willed my father another USAAF gem. He has a limited print of the Memphis Belle that was made in the early 1980s I believe. Anyway, the print shows the Belle in combat and on the left and right borders of the print are war-time portraits of each member of the crew and Mrs. Polk from the war. Below each picture is their actual signature, with the exception of Vince Evans and Cecil Scott, both of whom were deceased when the poster was printed. Their next of kin has signed under their names (e.g. Peggy Scott).

Jake

One of the Regulars
MD, thats a great collection. You sure seem to know your aviation history. It's fortunate to meet these great men before they are gone. Also you might enjoy some pics of my plane go to the steamer trunk forum under the Walter Mitty thread. Jake

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Off the top of my head:

Tex Hill, Joe Foss, Johnny Johnson, Bud Mahurin, Alex Vraciu, Francis Gabreski, and a number of the Doolittle Raiders...

I need to dig up the book that they're in and figure out who else is in there. It's a book I've had since I was a kid, titled 'American Fighter Pilots of WWII'...I think there are a few signatures hidden in my copy of 'The Mighty Eigth', as well.

anj4de

New in Town
Autographs...

Hi guys...

I have a copy of "To fly and fight" by Bud Anderson that I bought at the Duxford air show three years ago. I had it sighned by Bud in person, he was there flying a P-51 Old Crow, and also bought a very nice large scale photo of Old Crow with him on the stick, also with a nice signature. I have also met Forrest Guth, an orginal member of E/506 (Band of Brothers) and had a book about him sighned.
My father used to collect autographs of Luftwaffe pilots when he was a teenager, According to my grandmother he had a lot of them including Moelders, Galland, Hartmann, Nowothny and Marseille...unfortunately the album was nicked by a looting "French Liberator" when they came through the town were my family lived in 1945. My uncle's dagger collection went the same day :-(

cheers
Uwe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats