Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pin Curls

IlsaLund

One of the Regulars
The compiled list of vintage hairstyles is awesome! I have always wondered how to get those beautiful waves we've all seen and adored..... But I'm struggling with the concept of the pin curls themselves. I've had sources tell me that I should set them with damp hair; others swear by dry hair only. Some say to twist the strand before wrapping it to the root; others stress that you want to avoid twisting it at all. What do you ladies out there suggest? I loved the picture tutorial of the Victory Rolls. Anything like that out there for pin curls?

Many thanks,
I.L.:eusa_doh:

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Ilsa... In my opinion it has a lot to do with the length (and thickness) of your hair and how easily it curls with or without product. So I say experiment. For me, I have shoulder blade length hair all one length so I perfer to do slightly damp and twist it up just be cause it is easier and less time consuming than trying to keep it from twisting. I only use pin-curls to give me curls and not formulated waves. I know this doesn't help much, but I say just try out the different ways and see what works best for you and your length.

IlsaLund said:
The compiled list of vintage hairstyles is awesome! I have always wondered how to get those beautiful waves we've all seen and adored..... But I'm struggling with the concept of the pin curls themselves. I've had sources tell me that I should set them with damp hair; others swear by dry hair only. Some say to twist the strand before wrapping it to the root; others stress that you want to avoid twisting it at all. What do you ladies out there suggest? I loved the picture tutorial of the Victory Rolls. Anything like that out there for pin curls?

Many thanks,
I.L.:eusa_doh:

fleur

One of the Regulars
My hair is very much the length of LH's and quite impossible not to twist it. I always do mine to the root and when my hair is damp (I also use a good setting lotion).

Once its all pinned up I tie a chiffon scarf around it, give it a gentle blast with hair dryer and then go to bed (I always do it the night before!).

Next morning I give it a gentle blast again, do all those morning things THEN take it out.

I have poker straight hair that is usually difficult to curl and I have found doing it this method then the waves stay in until I wash it again!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Another damp-setter here -- I let my hair dry in a towel for about half an hour after washing it before setting the pincurls, and once they're all in, I give my whole head a good spraying with setting lotion from a spray bottle. I let it dry naturally overnight, and it's usually fine in the morning.

On nights when I don't wash my hair, I put the curls in dry -- but then spray on the setting lotion, just enough to dampen it a bit.

Either way, a good setting lotion (I use Lottabody) seems to be the key to gettting waves that don't immediately go flat for me.

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
Hello Ilsa,

I pincurl my wet hair right after washing it in the evening. After washing my hair I use lots of setting lotion. I don't twist my hair because when I do this I have afro hair in the morning.
By the way what is Lottabody is it something for curly hair, we don't have it in Germany?

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Does anyones pin curl set actually look like the one in this photograph?

http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip6412.htm

I just set mine for the very first time and obviously won't know the results until tomorrow morning - but I can safely say that mine did not look like the above! I also twisted pieces before winding them as my hair is just too thick to take such great care to wind straight.

I am scrared to death about what it's going to look like in the morning!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy