Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pinup Art

SHOOTER13

New in Town
While researching some military aircraft noseart, copied from artists like George Petty, Gil Elvgren and Alberto Vargas...to mention a few, I found that this type of artwork eventually found it's way onto soldiers leather jackets, their cars, their motorcycles, embroidered shirts, and even Zippo lighters. Pretty cool...

Here's an example from George Petty...His daughter Marjorie Jule was modeling for him and her body topped with an endless variety of faces would appear in many of his illustrations.

ORIGINAL NOSEART

LEATHER JACKET

ZIPPO LIGHTER...( 1 of 55 I own )

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
It's somehow kind of disturbing to think of George Petty using his daughter's body for his pinup art. . . . . .
But cool pics, for sure.
Yes, put this in the Display Case.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
dhermann1 said:
It's somehow kind of disturbing to think of George Petty using his daughter's body for his pinup art. . . . . .

Gil Elvgren did the same thing a lot of the time. It all becomes mechanical when you start to paint and brake down the form. A model is a model, and a free model is even better :)

LD

Story

I'll Lock Up
I looked at the title too fast and thought "Pimp Art? The FL is really broadening their horizons..."

2129257593_17ec841252.jpg

/ Carry on.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lady Day said:
It all becomes mechanical when you start to paint and brake down the form. A model is a model, and a free model is even better :)

LD
:arated:

I took life drawing lessons at the uni and there is no "erotic" mood at all. Drawing needs very high concentration.

(The only exceptions maybe geniuses like rodin and picasso who had a lot of affairs with their modells. I doubt it is common to normal artists)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Flat Foot Floey said:
I took life drawing lessons at the uni and there is no "erotic" mood at all. Drawing needs very high concentration.

I couldnt *begin* to count how many naked men (and women) Ive seen...
Perhaps thats why I like men in suits...:rolleyes:

LD

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Well ... still creeps me out. Got a degree in fine arts, spent years in figural drawing and painting classes, taught a few too ... but would not even consider any daughter of mine doing the modeling. I agree that its merely a mass of shapes and shadows, and that no matter how beautiful the model, she is nothing more than another problem to visually solve. But to separate the heart from the right side of the brain? I couldn't do it. Perhaps I've just been out of practice too long. [huh]

anon`

One Too Many
MisterCairo said:
Pin up art from the golden era does seem to (occasionally) go beyond the innocent image most of us have! Pretty daring, indeed!
Only occasionally? I've a collection of prints whose originals date to the '20s and '30s that suggest this happened both rather more than "occasionally" and a little beyond simply "daring"! ;)

(Also... isn't this subject rather more expansive than just WWII?)

Speedbird

A-List Customer
potentially :eek:fftopic: but Shooter, I have a Vargas Windy City Zippo with it's presentation tin etc but unfortunately the top half has lost it's girl emblem -- lower half retains the legs. I had it repaired by Zippo once for a broken hinge but I am guessing replacing the missing the top half is impossible?

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Speedbird said:
potentially :eek:fftopic: but Shooter, I have a Vargas Windy City Zippo with it's presentation tin etc but unfortunately the top half has lost it's girl emblem -- lower half retains the legs. I had it repaired by Zippo once for a broken hinge but I am guessing replacing the missing the top half is impossible?

If you contact Zippo, they will tell you that they guarantee everything for life except the finish. I am afraid that you are SOL.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Unfortunately, not that one - yours is obviously an earlier one that mine was a later 'tribute' to - whereas yours has the girl engraved on the lower half, mine has the 1935 Windy City girl brazed onto the body and lid in two pieces - hence how mine is now missing the top half. :mad: I will have to look for a replacement.

Potenially even more annoying is that I had a much earlier tin plate Zippo advertising display sign embossed with the same Vargas girl. Alas, somewhere in amongst various relocations it went missing.

SHOOTER13

New in Town
Another era piece...

Here's another from that series...called the "Reveler"

REVELER.jpg

...and an original 1934 zippo given to me by my father, who owned it ( 2nd hand ) in his youth...the oldest in my collection ( note the sharp rectangular corners and hinge area )

1932REPLICA.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW