Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plain utility / western / work shirt recommendations?

dmoser1978

One of the Regulars
Hi,
anyone have a good source for plain, two pocket, button up cotton work or utility shirts?
I've been watching a couple of old John Wayne westerns, El Dorado and True Grit and realized something that I'd like in my wardrobe are some regular long sleeve button up shirts.

It feels like most what I can find are either thick denim shirts or "work wear" shirts, or dress shirts. I'd just like to find some good, medium weight shirts for everyday wear that are long enough to be tucked in. So many shirts today are too short in the body due to being made to be worn untucked.

Hopefully this makes sense, I'm attaching some pictures showing actors wearing the types of shirts I mean. I'd even go for the 3 or 4 button henley that some have on.

Attachments

• shirt 3.jpg
    shirt 3.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 83
  • shirt 2.jpg
    shirt 2.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 83
  • work shirt.jpg
    work shirt.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 89
  • shirt 4.jpg
    shirt 4.jpg
    419.9 KB · Views: 84

One Drop

One of the Regulars
Hi,
anyone have a good source for plain, two pocket, button up cotton work or utility shirts?
I've been watching a couple of old John Wayne westerns, El Dorado and True Grit and realized something that I'd like in my wardrobe are some regular long sleeve button up shirts.

It feels like most what I can find are either thick denim shirts or "work wear" shirts, or dress shirts. I'd just like to find some good, medium weight shirts for everyday wear that are long enough to be tucked in. So many shirts today are too short in the body due to being made to be worn untucked.

Hopefully this makes sense, I'm attaching some pictures showing actors wearing the types of shirts I mean. I'd even go for the 3 or 4 button henley that some have on.
I have a few Filson Chino Twill shirts I found cheap on eBay, they definitely look the part, are well made, and soften up and wear in really well, just be aware that the sizing is quite skewed, I normally measure between a medium and large but the Filson small in shirting is perfect for me.

Edward

Bartender
Some years ago, I had some inexpensive trousers from River Junction that I was pleased with for the money. They do some shirts that would come within what you're after - https://www.riverjunction.com/old-west-mens-shirts.html.

A cheaper alternative might be milspec repop (though obviously you're into a more limited colour palette there, unless you dye your own) - e.g. https://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/ww2-mans-summer-service-shirt-chino-by-kay-canvas.html https://www.onlinemilitaria.com/products/2536-us-khaki-cotton-summer-shirt-enlisted/

One Drop

One of the Regulars
You can also try Western outfitters like Schaefer, they have both popovers and button-ups with fairly traditional cuts, though if you want that big full cut look with wide sleeves and torsos the above suggestions will suit you better, or go vintage, there is some amazing stuff out there without the collectors premium that other articles of clothing have added on.

DanielPetmr

New in Town
Hi,

Hopefully this makes sense, I'm attaching some pictures showing actors wearing the types of shirts I mean. I'd even go for the 3 or 4 button henley that some have on. Experience coastal living at its finest in Jbeil. Own a breathtaking apartment overlooking the sparkling Mediterranean Sea. Indulge in the charm of this historic city while enjoying modern comforts check out this Buy an apartment in Jbeil. Discover your perfect coastal retreat in Jbeil today
I am starting a new job next week (Accountant Manager for an engineering company) )and plan on heading to Von Maur for some new clothes today. What would be some good options for the following:

1. Khakis/dress pants: In the past I have bought Dockers and Hagger brands. What would be a step up from these brands (looks nicer, wears better, last longer, is less prone to wrinkling, good value, etc)? I wear a 34x32 and currently have two newer pairs of Haggers (a real light tan and a bit darker tan). Is flat front still the best cut? Should I be looking at something that needs to be tailored?
2. Shirts: In the past I have wore long sleeve dress shirts during the winter and polos during the summer......is this acceptable or should I be wearing long sleeve dress shirts year round? Any specific brands, cuts, styles I should be looking at?
3. I am also buying a pair of brown Allen Edmunds derbys (Wilbert). What kind of socks should I look at that would look good with these shoes and khakis?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points