Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plastic Liner: Considering Removal

Mustang

One of the Regulars
I have an Akubra Sydney and never paid much attention until recently to the fact that the top part of the liner is plastic. From what I can tell most hats come that way. Is there a good reason for me to keep the plastic in place? And what is the reason hat companies use plastic? All I know is that when it warms up here, that plastic will definitely make the hat less comfortable. I'm considering carefully cutting out the plastic part of the liner.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Mustang said:
I have an Akubra Sydney and never paid much attention until recently to the fact that the top part of the liner is plastic. From what I can tell most hats come that way. Is there a good reason for me to keep the plastic in place? And what is the reason hat companies use plastic? All I know is that when it warms up here, that plastic will definitely make the hat less comfortable. I really am considering carefully cutting it out.

The clear plastic piece in the top of a liner goes back to when men wore "hair tonic." It would cause a white liner to turn yellow. Since nobody uses that stuff, these days, hardly any hats come with the clear plastic. On older hats it is usually brittle enough that it can simply be carefully "torn" out. I've never removed it from a brand new hat. You might consider just removing the liner altogether. Many felt hats intended for summer wear have been sold without a liner. Then, if you decide to put the liner back it will be in mint condition. (Note: I am assuming that you do not use Wildroot Cream Oil or Brylcreem. :D )

Fredthecat

One of the Regulars
I'm considering the same removal for same reason...heat.

It appears to be just a plastic disk sewn in with the satin.
If you remove it please let us know how it turns out.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
If you remove the liner on a hat that touches the top of your head will the top show any sweat on top that the liner may prevent from coming through?

Mustang

One of the Regulars
indycop said:
If you remove the liner on a hat that touches the top of your head will the top show any sweat on top that the liner may prevent from coming through?

I don't intend to remove the entire liner, only the plastic.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I have removed the plastic liner from all of my "outdoor" hats. The result, for me, is that they are much more comfortable when I am wearing them for hours at a time while being fairly active. The plastic doesn't stick to my head, the hat isn't overly hot, and it just feels better all around. [Note: Just on principle, I have yet to remove the plastic from a vintage lid, and probably never will].

There are two ways to go about removing the plastic. On a couple of Stetson Gun Clubs, I have used scissors to snip the plastic from the center of the crown down to where the plastic is stitched to the liner. Then, very carefully, I simply remove the plastic by slowly and gently pulling around the stitching. It comes out just fine.

To be completely safe, however, it is easy to remove the liner, then remove the plastic. In the event that there is a lot of plastic on the back of the liner, this can be removed, as well. Then just place the liner back in the hat.

IC -- I personally wouldn't want an unlined hat to sit right on my head, as the chances of perspiration, etc. bleeding through and staining the felt would be pretty high in my estimation. This can even happen with with a liner in the hat (without plastic). Either way, I'd try to crease the hat in a way that had the crown not touching my head. That way, there's some air between the top of your head and the top of the lid.

Long story short -- for those thinking of removing the plastic, it is easily accomplished, and, in my view, makes for a more comfortable ride. :)

Cheers,
JtL

Mustang

One of the Regulars
indycop said:
Oh I know I was referring to the comment about removing the entire liner.:D
:eusa_doh: :eek:

OK...I did it! I'm not ambitious enough to remove the liner, so I just used scissors and carefully cut the plastic out next where it was sown in. I'm sure some of you will cringe at the less than perfect results, but I'm pleased:
AkubraSyndeywithPlasticLinerRemoved.jpg

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
Mustang said:
:eusa_doh: :eek:

OK...I did it! I'm not ambitious enough to remove the liner, so I just used scissors and carefully cut the plastic out next where it was sown in. I'm sure some of you will cringe at the less than perfect results, but I'm pleased:
[/IMG]

You've inspired me to try with my Adventurer. I have a shaved head and the plastic sticks.

Mustang

One of the Regulars
RockBottom said:
You've inspired me to try with my Adventurer. I have a shaved head and the plastic sticks.

Glad to help ;). I can imagine the plastic would be intolerable on a shaved and/or bald head.

I was going to use a razor blade, but luckily I couldn't find one. I'm sure I would have sliced the liner itself if I would have. The finely pointed scissors worked very well.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
IC -- I personally wouldn't want an unlined hat to sit right on my head, as the chances of perspiration, etc. bleeding through and staining the felt would be pretty high in my estimation. This can even happen with with a liner in the hat (without plastic). Either way, I'd try to crease the hat in a way that had the crown not touching my head. That way, there's some air between the top of your head and the top of the lid.

Cheers,
JtL
OK, Thats what I was wondering!:D

NonEntity

Suspended
Beautiful job. I think you may may missed your true calling to surgery.

I've got this growth on a very personal part of my anatomy. Perhaps you could snip it off? The growth, that is, not the personal part of my anatomy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner