Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please Explain High End Selvedge Jeans to Me

nabottle

A-List Customer
Thanks to the input from many of you, I'm now wearing my first (actually 2nd, due to incorrect sizing of the 1st pair) pair of 21 oz. raw selvedge denim. As they were my first pair, I wasn't willing to spend in the higher price range, so I chose to get a pair of Unbranded UB221 Tapered Fit. I soaked them for a few hours in the bathtub, let them hang dry, and put them on. I've worn them 4 or 5 times now. The super stiff cardboard feeling has subsided and they're beginning to fit as if they were made for me. I know they aren't Iron Heart, Flat Head, etc. and they may not hold a candle to any of the higher end brands. But for me, they've been a good way to enter into the heavyweight raw denim zone. So far, I really like these jeans - A lot.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Thanks to the input from many of you, I'm now wearing my first (actually 2nd, due to incorrect sizing of the 1st pair) pair of 21 oz. raw selvedge denim. As they were my first pair, I wasn't willing to spend in the higher price range, so I chose to get a pair of Unbranded UB221 Tapered Fit. I soaked them for a few hours in the bathtub, let them hang dry, and put them on. I've worn them 4 or 5 times now. The super stiff cardboard feeling has subsided and they're beginning to fit as if they were made for me. I know they aren't Iron Heart, Flat Head, etc. and they may not hold a candle to any of the higher end brands. But for me, they've been a good way to enter into the heavyweight raw denim zone. So far, I really like these jeans - A lot.

I have the same jeans, but in the straight leg version. Hard to believe how heavyweight the denim is, but they are very nice and a great value.

I've read those are great jeans. The more I look, the less likely I am to drop $400 on the IH.
Anxiously awaiting my first Gustins. If those work out, then I've found a great deal in denim.

Ross817

New in Town
I've read those are great jeans. The more I look, the less likely I am to drop $400 on the IH.
Anxiously awaiting my first Gustins. If those work out, then I've found a great deal in denim.

While I havent owned Unbrandeds 21 oz offering, I have owned both Unbrandeds normal weight and Iron Hearts 634s in 21 oz. That being said for being an "entry level" brand, Unbrandeds quality and denim are fantastic, and I keep mine in normal rotation.

BUT there has to be something said about Iron Heart's 21 oz denim. I like to sing its praises most on its versatility. Its pretty damn thick, but oddly enough it breaths extremely well. Enough so that I prefer it in Dallas' 100 degree days over my Unbrandeds an Momotaros.

True I cannot speak for Unbrandeds 21oz stuff, but I really do suggest giving a pair of Iron heart 21oz a try, I dig em alot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk 4

swiss-jeansfreak

New in Town

The Unbranded 21 oz jeans have a great fading potential if worn a long time over aeyrs without washing.
So no worries if you don't have an Iron Heart or Flathead pants.
You'll be satisfied with your pants for sure.
Just enjoy them now as your current great raw denim project.

nabottle

A-List Customer
Funny thing about these 21 oz. Unbranded's: My girlfriends refers to them as my "Stiffies". They are much softer than they were , but I wear them almost all the time and she loves giving me hell about it. I LOVE IT!

MillersCrossing

Familiar Face
Having worn Levi's etc all my life and only now having discovered 'high end' jeans, I can say without reservation that I would rather have two pair of the high end types than 6 pair of the mass produced. Not only does the beautiful indigo denim look great and are a pleasure to wear - but, most importantly, they fit right. I cannot count the number of Levi's I gave or tossed away because their fit wasn't right. I was so excited about my recent purchase of a pair of Edwin's that I immediately bought another pair, even though we are headed into summer. I feel like I have been looking for jeans like this my entire life!

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
for those interested in dabbling in high end selvedge denim ventee privee has Levis Vintage closeout items on sale once or twice a year and the sale started today. Lots of denim, some trucker jackets. I have a fondness for the short horn and western shirts LVC produces. They are made in Italy with woven fabrics (not printed) they are equal in my opinion to the denim quality. http://vpusa.com/watvIof

*Full disclosure, I get a $20 credit if you use the link above.*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner