Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help me with formalwear for my wedding...

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
OK... I've finally managed to dig out the USB cable for my camera. Here are the gloves I got.

Don't mind the background. I used the bed because things are cramped; my fiancée and I won't be getting our own place until the fall:
IMG_3704.jpg

As you can see, the gloves are grey chamois, as requested. They're lighter in person than the photos make them look.

A close-up of the tag. The gloves are unlined. There's something printed on the inside of the leather, but I can't make it out.
IMG_3705.jpg

The button closure I requested. The button is dark mother-of-pearl.
IMG_3706.jpg

On the hand. The entire glove fits pretty snugly; I was worried at first that they might not fit me, but they've loosened up with some wear. Dress gloves ought to be fairly form-fitting, anyhow:
IMG_3708.jpg

Close-up of the stitching on the fingers. I went with the "City Gent" style, which is handmade. Not sure if I'd like the exposed seams on evening-dress kid gloves, but for daywear, they work.
IMG_3709.jpg

Detail of the back of the hand:
IMG_3710.jpg

Overall, I like these a lot. But I'm pondering how best to remove them for the ceremony without having to pfutz with the closure and such. Is there some technique involved, or does it just require practice?

floatinjoe

Familiar Face
Those gloves look great. These are the same gloves I'm looking at for my wedding.

Any chance you could post a pic of them from a distance that is a few feet away? I'm curious as to how to the hand stitching will look to a casual observer while I'm wearing them.

When I emailed Chester Jefferies, they said that the chamios was only available in the yellow lemon. I'll have to shoot them another email. They said that their recommendation for any other color was suede, which could be made in any color that the Cape can be made in.

If I go suede to get a creme color, what lining would you recommend (lining is needed for the suede)?

Mike

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
floatinjoe said:
When I emailed Chester Jefferies, they said that the chamios was only available in the yellow lemon. I'll have to shoot them another email. They said that their recommendation for any other color was suede, which could be made in any color that the Cape can be made in.
That's odd. I'm pretty sure my gloves are chamois, as the nap is much finer than any suede I've seen. They're unlined, too. Maybe I got the last of the grey? [huh]

floatinjoe

Familiar Face
Interesting. I sent them a second inquiry about the color.

Any chance of you posting a distance shot of the gloves? Also, I'd love to see one of the sides of the fingers (I'm curious as to how the handsewn gloves are structured).

Thanks.

Mike

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
So, my waistcoat finally came. It was delayed by the whole "ash cloud over Europe" debacle, but it's here.

Here are some pictures.

First, a view with the coat off. On advice from Charlie Huang and others, I got it with mother-of-pearl buttons.

IMG_3906.jpg

The tailors were Batak House Cut, the ready-to-wear/made-to-measure branch of Batak Tailor. They've got an eye for classic styles, although it feels a tad big around the waist. That may just be because I've not been to the gym in several months and have lost muscle, though.

IMG_3905.jpg

The full ensemble (minus shoes, socks, and hat):

IMG_3904.jpg

Overall, I'd say things go together well. Considering the button stance of the jacket, the waistcoat is a tad bit long, but it was something of a compromise as the waistband of my trousers is just barely covered. At the very least, it's got nice symmetry above and below.

IMG_3903.jpg

I do need to steam/iron that morning coat, though. (I am also envious of the double-breasted jacket in the background, but money is tight at the moment.)

IMG_3902.jpg

One thing I forgot to take a picture of was a loop on the inside front, just inside the middle buttonhole. According to the person there, it's to secure a pocketwatch.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Thats great! And it`s all in Japan! Correct me I am wrong Sir, but was not your introduction to batak through a photo I posted on a walk around?

Great pics! :eusa_clap

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
daizawaguy said:
Thats great! And it`s all in Japan! Correct me I am wrong Sir, but was not your introduction to batak through a photo I posted on a walk around?
Right you are; many thanks for the tip.

On an unrelated note, I recently described to my wife, on a lark, an idea I had to get more use out of my morning coat and top hat. It goes something like this:

On sunny weekends, I could go up to Osaka Castle Park and situate myself on the long promenade towards Morinomiya, with a sign reading 「西洋(せいやう)の紳士(ジェントルマン)と冩眞を撮りませう 一回五◯◯圓」. The perfect way to wear my formal clothes more often, whilst tapping in to latent Meiji/Taisho romanticism and making some spare cash... as long as there are no laws against that sort of business. lol

LaMedicine

One Too Many
boushi_mania said:
On sunny weekends, I could go up to Osaka Castle Park and situate myself on the long promenade towards Morinomiya, with a sign reading 「西洋(せいやう)の紳士(ジェントルマン)と冩眞を撮りませう 一回五◯◯圓」. The perfect way to wear my formal clothes more often, whilst tapping in to latent Meiji/Taisho romanticism and making some spare cash... as long as there are no laws against that sort of business. lol
Not really sure you could make a business out of it--because your attire is actually standard fare for the Japanese fathers of the brides and grooms even to this day, plus you see lots of gentlemen in that attire every spring and fall, at the biannual honors decorations from the government. ;)
Finding some antique decoration or medal of honor and changing the sign to 「文化勲章の受章者と写真を撮りましょう」might work better lol lol lol

Oops, I forgot to say, you really look sharp, congratulations.
(Say, what is the bride wearing?)

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
LaMedicine said:
Not really sure you could make a business out of it--because your attire is actually standard fare for the Japanese fathers of the brides and grooms even to this day, plus you see lots of gentlemen in that attire every spring and fall, at the biannual honors decorations from the government. ;)
Finding some antique decoration or medal of honor and changing the sign to 「文化勲章の受章者と写真を撮りましょう」might work better lol lol lol

Oops, I forgot to say, you really look sharp, congratulations.
(Say, what is the bride wearing?)
I forgot to mention the monocle and the fake moustache. Would that help? (Also, I think impersonating a recipient of a cultural prize would stand a better chance of being illegal than a "Western Gentleman". I'd have to keep it vague: "中高学校における英語教育に活躍して、教室内の環境を大きく変化させたために受章した" or some-such.)

As for the dress, it's, er, white. And it's pretty. I don't really have the vocabulary to describe women's clothes, and I won't get to see her in it until the day of. [huh]

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Monocles and fake moustache...umm...I think the average Japanese would relate that more to Charlie Chaplin rather than Meiji-Taisho-early Showa gentlemen, especially after Nobunari Oda's free skating Chaplin Medley progam last season :rolleyes:
Of course, I could lend you my late father's Third Degree Order of the Sacred Treasure which he recieved in 1992 ;)

Oh, and you had better ask your bride to tell her father to wear a dark suit or something if you don't want him to be dressed the same as you. If you don't say anything, your future FIL may very well turn up dressed in morning coat ensemble. Of course, here, typically, the groom and the two fathers will all be dressed the same, which is probably one of the reasons why those so-called color formals are popular these days.

Oh, and your bride's dress. I asked because you seemed to like the idea of making a dress from a kimono, when I mentioned my niece's wedding dress. Of course tradition says you don't get to see it until at the ceremony. :)
Here's the link to a dressmaker's site, who designs and produces kimono dresses. Granted, they are expensive, but they are beautiful just to look at.
http://www.setsuko-wakatsuki.com/

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
LaMedicine said:
Oh, and your bride's dress. I asked because you seemed to like the idea of making a dress from a kimono, when I mentioned my niece's wedding dress. Of course tradition says you don't get to see it until at the ceremony. :)

Here's the link to a dressmaker's site, who designs and produces kimono dresses. Granted, they are expensive, but they are beautiful just to look at.
http://www.setsuko-wakatsuki.com/
Yes, those are quite nice to look at... except the numbers at the bottom. :eek:

EDIT: And those are the rental prices?! :eek::eek:

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
LaMedicine said:
I did say they are expensive, and by now, you should know what we really mean by expensive here lol lol lol
Yes, these are rental prices, but um, for the bride, it is a once-in-a-life time celebration, I think, for most women yet :rolleyes:
Fair enough. Come to think of it, I do suppose the (American-only?) tradition of keeping the dress does seem a bit odd: a morning coat has potential (if rare) uses outside one's own wedding, but a wedding dress ...not so much. [huh]

LaMedicine

One Too Many
boushi_mania said:
I do suppose the (American-only?) tradition of keeping the dress does seem a bit odd: a morning coat has potential (if rare) uses outside one's own wedding, but a wedding dress ...not so much. [huh]
I wouldn't write it off so quickly :) It is nostalgia and memorabilia, plus days were when wedding dresses were really special and of good quality, and were handed down from mother to daughter. Also, in the days when cocktail dresses were often of use, the wedding dresses could be and often were dyed and the skirt cut off cut off and remade into cocktail dresses.
My wedding dress is still hanging somewhere in my parent's home, especially since it was the combined effort of my mother and I--I drew the pattern, cut the material and did the base sewing, then Mom fitted me, and did the finer points :) The kimono I wore for oironaoshi was rental, and the fee was 50,000yen (in 1975) for 3 days--day 1 delivery and checked out, day 2 ceremony and day 3 returned. So I think the rental fee on the kimono dress site is also for at least total 3 days, not for one day.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Yes, the waistcoat seems a bit big at the bottom. I would have it taken in and all the creases ironed out. As to length, it is more or less okay. I would also move some of the left (your left) buttons to be symetrical with the right ones. The pattern looks very much like what Pakeman Catto & Carter sell save the hem of your's is curved slightly.

As for your idea of photo ops, a better ensemble would be to wear a frock coat (with a frockovercoat on top of that most ideal) coupled with very high (no less that 2 1/2") wing/imperial collar, black waistcoat with white slips, Ascot tie and silver-topped malacca cane and galosh top button boots. I doubt any diplomat or investiture attendee today would wear that...

Further advice

Pocket watch: ebay a nice vintage silver one (either fusee key wound or stem wound that works) and a silver albert chain (double or single).

Buttonhole: a single white gardenia bloom is ideal. Don't go for the 'mini-garden on your lapel' look.

Pocket square: go for a simple square fold to avoid clashing with the buttonhole.

Topper: I assume you have one (since you;re going all out). Pics I need to see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points