Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pleats without cuffs?

Marty M.

Vendor
tonyb said:
That's what I'm thinking too, Marty. In this case, it may be possible, strictly speaking, but perhaps not advisable. We'll see how they come out. What the heck, I have only $24 into the trousers and a truly nominal amount to the seamstress. (She works cheap, bless her soul.)

I'm speculating that the reason the fabric is doubled at the cuff (a "true" cuff, anyway) is so it will be of sufficient heft to hang properly. Is that right?

By the way, Marty, I appreciate you and Tomasso and others for sharing your knowledge. If this keeps happening, I may grow emboldened to the point of buying a sewing machine. But that could be dangerous.

Thanks Tony.
Marty

solstice

New in Town
wish to have help with trouser pleats and creases

i hope to find out how to press pleated trousers properly.
i have never had luck with this, and have even had trousers come back from cleaners pressed all wrong, usually with an outward buldging effect as the result.
now that these are back for ladies i should know how to do this properly, or at least know where the best cleaners are in the US, so i can send them there knowing that that shop knows how.
one pair is just from a catalog and did not arrive pressed right. they have that outward buldge a few inches down from the pleats. they have a sort of double inverted set of pleats, and i think the crease is supposed to line up with the pleat closest to the zipper. maybe they shouldn't be creased at all.
they are very wide legged, and the silk linen fabric is flowy when walking.

http://jpeterman.com/product~cat~110204~sku~WPT 1850.asp

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
reetpleat said:
I have toyed with the idea of sewing in a strip of fabric to give a false cuff shape and more weight. Anyone ever do that?

My Mom almost always does this when she adjusts pants for me. It works fine. She is quite keen on the extra fabric - - even when she puts in (or extends) real (not false) cuffs. She says the extra weight makes the drape better. It also, naturally, reinforces the flatness and discourages the pants from flopping.

Highlander

A-List Customer
OK, interesting. I have always had CUFFS on PLEATS. But recently I bought a pair of Jos A Bank (I know, not vintage), wool plaid (sort of a dark color, combination Black Watch and Sutherland).

Interestingly, the lady that does my pants recommended "no pleats"... I thought about it and went that way...

I know it may be a faux pase, but they really hang super nice and break perfect on my Saddle Oxfords.

I hope I haven't done something Offensive :) I probably won't do it again, but they don't look bad...

Got the pants back from the seamstress. They fit well (yeah!) and look good, so what the heck. Pleats without cuffs. Wore 'em yesterday. I really, really doubt that it occurred to a single person I encountered throughout the day that my pants had pleats but no cuffs. So I guess I can call it a success. Such as it is.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
reetpleat said:
I have toyed with the idea of sewing in a strip of fabric to give a false cuff shape and more weight. Anyone ever do that?
I have heel guards sewn into most all my trouser cuffs to protect aginst wear and to add weight to ligher fabrics.

Shoes303.jpg

Qadain

New in Town
I have both cuffed and uncuffed, but I'm leaning toward uncuffed for all my future purchases since I'm only average height. I guess if I were taller, I'd probably go with some cuffs.

Feraud

Bartender
Qadain said:
I have both cuffed and uncuffed, but I'm leaning toward uncuffed for all my future purchases since I'm only average height. I guess if I were taller, I'd probably go with some cuffs.
Average height fellows look fine in cuffs.

Wish I could be of more help to you, solstice, but I'm afraid I really don't have much knowledge on this topic.

I'd kinda like to know, too. I'm tempted to get a pants press (from Target, or somewhere like that) because I like the look of a crisp pair of pants, and I can see how dry cleaning bills could really add up if I didn't press the pants myself.

But I'm fearful of doing harm, too. Wouldn't want to set stains, for instance, or scorch fabric or anything along those lines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183