Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pls help me date this cutaway tail coat...

Warbaby

One Too Many
I found this vintage tail coat a couple of days ago and bought it despite the fact that it doesn't fit me. I'll prolly either eBay it or keep it for trading stock. It was made to fit someone very tall (6'2"-3") and thin (I wear a 40 and it's way tight on me - I'm guessing it's a 36, maybe 38).

It's in really pristine condition - no stains, even under the arms, no moth holes, no fading. It's made of a fine, lightweight wool with grosgrain or twill lapels and satin covered buttons. The lining is quilted in the chest. The armholes are very high and tight. Even though it's quite snug on me, I can raise my arms above horizontal and the rest of the coat still hangs perfectly.

There are no labels on it anywhere.

Are there period differences in the style of tail coats, or are they all pretty much the same?

Tails1.jpg

Tails1a.jpg

Tails1c.jpg

Tails1b.jpg

Tails1d.jpg

Tails1e.jpg

Tails1f.jpg

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I'm no help on dating it, but its an evening tailcoat for white tie and tails. Normally I've only heard the term 'cutaway' as the American term for morning dress tails for day wear.

PS: I wanted to say thanks again for your help with the opera glasses, I followed your instructions and they turned out great!

Warbaby

One Too Many
Glad to hear the opera glasses turned out well! Always happy to provide restoration advice - I was an objects restorer at the MMA back in the 70s and have a pretty strong knowledge base in the field.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Chasseur is right, this is an evening dress coat, not a cutaway. As to date, it's hard to say because this style stayed relatively consistent for decades and decades. If I had to guess, I'd say '30s because of the lack of breast pocket and the shape of the lapels. But I could be very wrong; it could be earlier, and my '60s-dated coat looks much like that (plus a breast pocket).

le.gentleman

Familiar Face
Orgetorix said:
Chasseur is right, this is an evening dress coat, not a cutaway. As to date, it's hard to say because this style stayed relatively consistent for decades and decades. If I had to guess, I'd say '30s because of the lack of breast pocket and the shape of the lapels. But I could be very wrong; it could be earlier, and my '60s-dated coat looks much like that (plus a breast pocket).

Do you also have the pants for this suit? They might help to date it as well! At first glance, an evening tailcoats pretty much look the same, however there are many subtle differences. The gorge, the width of the lapel, the way the quarters are cut etc.
In Germany, it was popular to have your tailocat for white tie made without a breast pocket from about 1920-1914 since it was worn with a buttoniere and an additional pocket square would have been too much. However, I do not see a buttonhole in your lapel.
The gorge is very high and the lapels are wide which speaks for 20s to 30s to me. The corners of the tails are hardly rounded at all but I cannot put a date on that style...

Bear in mind that the bespoke client might have had certain ideas which were not in compliance with the fashion of that time...

You probably looked closely at all the pockets, didn't you? I once found a little note in one hidden topcoat pocket which contained a tiny letter which was dated to 12-31-1938...

Tourbillion

Practically Family
My boyfriend has a dated Victorian tail suit that has working buttonholes--that go all the way up the lapel. It also came with a black vest and pants. I know the black vest was normal then, not sure about the vestigial buttonholes.

Perhaps we can rule out Victorian for your tail coat? The lapels seem wide to me, so maybe 1930's suggested by the other posters is correct?

My boyfriend may have a later tail coat (1950's?) to compare to, I'll have to ask. (Maybe we can even get him to start posting under his own account.) I am pretty sure that the dated 30's one that he got rid of due to fit issues didn't look much like your coat though (if I recall correctly).

anon`

One Too Many
As has been mentioned, the white tie tailcoat has remained largely unchanged over the years, making dating the thing annoyingly difficult if the original tailor didn't bother to write the date on one.

The best reference, as far as I can tell, seems to be in the lapels, and while this jacket may not actually be pre-War, it sure looks like it. And that's what I'd tell anyone who asked ;)

But your best bet is to look through the pockets and possibly even under any random flaps of fabric for either a union label or date tag. I suppose if you can be reasonably confident that the coat is American in make and are unable to find signs of a union label, you could argue that it's pre-36 (or pre-34?) at the very least.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Alas, there are no pockets, either inside or out, that might hide a label or union tag. And a careful search turned up no flaps or seams where a label might be tucked away.

And here's another question regarding classic formal wear - what's the difference, if any, between a morning coat and a frock coat? Or are they two terms for the same garment?

Lokar

A-List Customer
To top things off, there exists both the frock coat, and the top frock - The latter looking mostly the same as a frock coat, but worn as an overcoat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24