Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plus Size Vintage

~Psycho Sue~

One of the Regulars
I just bought a few patterns on ebay with a 42/43 bust. That is about the biggest on there that suits my taste for now. I guess I can alter those. Have not tried one yet. I should not have picked one with the large yoke, but oh well. If I can get it right it will look hot. :p

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
~Psycho Sue~ said:
I just bought a few patterns on ebay with a 42/43 bust. That is about the biggest on there that suits my taste for now. I guess I can alter those. Have not tried one yet. I should not have picked one with the large yoke, but oh well. If I can get it right it will look hot. :p

Post pics when they arrive. Let me know if you need any help!

I am a member of this club too

I am currently around a modern size 20, and have been wearing vintage since I was in high school about a million years ago.

One thing I want to mention about measurements on vintage garments, especially when buying from ebay and such - always allow more room for movement! If your bust measure 42 and you buy a dress that measures 42 "laying flat" then good luck getting it on - or if you do, not ripping it!

Wearing clothes too snug is bad for fabrics and not flattering to the figure regardless of your size.

One other comment is that it is important no matter what size you are to focus on shapes and cuts that work for you - someone mentioned 40's shoulders helping to balance out hips that are a little wider - I completely agree.

I do sew and alter a lot of my clothing to suit my own tastes, but for you ladies who don't sew remember to focus on the cut of the garment, quality of fabric and get the best fit you can off the rack. Sometimes a simple alteration at the tailor shop is all a garment needs to look more "vintage" (hem lengths on skirts or some darts in a blouse).

ok...I'll let your eyes rest now...

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
I have to admit, while there are a LOT of tiny clothes out there, I feel like I find plus size vintage pretty frequently. (Sorry, I know, I model on my size 2 model - I use what I got to work with!)

I would say that about one of every 15 dresses I list is a size XL or XXL - meaning a MINIMUM 44" bust. I even have a dress (not yet photographed) with a 56" Bust - now that, I admit, is pretty rare.

The thing is, it is there if you look for it.

Louise Anne

Suspended
What I realized been plus size is that a larger propotion of my clothes are black, it's not that i have a thing for black or any other shade is just the dealer says "this is your size" and more than often it's black

Is there any logic behind that been the case do you think.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I think black is also just a really practical shade that never seems to go out of fashion, as such, so people keep black things as they might be useful at a future point.

Changes in fashion don't seem to show up as much when the garment is black.

Perhaps they tired of other colours or just wore them more and then threw them away when they were worn out.

P.S: I am a confirmed non-black wearer, as a rule, so the above is just an opinion! What do I know?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I was going to ask the general group, but I think only the plus ladies will understand. I'm currently working on these pants, but I don't know what to wear with them. I've looked around for original pictures, but they seem to be worn with tucked in shirts. That doesn't really work with my belly. The shirt that comes with the pattern has no shaping and is very boxy. That also doesn't work with my figure. I'm not going to cut into my expensive fabric until I can figure out what to wear on top. Please help me come up with ideas!

4083181787_b1a38911f1_m.jpg

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Kamikat,

This is a tough question and one I also struggle with. I like a little camouflage over certain areas but too big and boxy and it looks like maternity on me (eek!), too long and I start having flash backs to the 80's long over skinny pants/leggings.

Could you give the "illusion" of the boxy top in the patern? Maybe structure the top of the blouse through the shoulders and add interest with a collar, drop the hem of the blouse a bit longer but maybe taper it in a bit too. This way it won't flare out at the bottom. I also notice that if the sleeve is short but too long of a short sleeve, it drags my line down. If the short sleeve hits just right, the line is visually lifted and there's not so much echo of a pear shape.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I like the shirt that is with the pattern. I know, a lot of help I am. Perhaps cut out a mock up of the shirt and see how it looks with the pants. Maybe take in the bottom so it doesn't bell out as much.

LD

crwritt

One Too Many
I like that top. Before I saw it, I read your question on what to wear with the slacks, and thought they would look good with a bateau neck tunic, with 3/4 sleeves. There you have it!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
OK, I think I've figured out how to wear my cigarette pants that will not show off my big belly! After cruising the usual suspects, I've discovered a cute outfit. There was a fad of wearing short Swirl dresses over these trousers. PERFECT! This pic shows the tunic with a pencil skirt, but you get the idea!
wpt50s25951advance7779.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy