Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plus Size Vintage

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
kamikat said:
wpt50s25951advance7779.jpg

Ooooh! ...and if you don't like it, you can always send it to me! ;)

zendy

A-List Customer
yeah, but most that I've seen tend to look like a sack or circus tent.
I think there has only been one that I have seen that was tailored and I think it's floating around here somewhere

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
As far as I know, maternity patterns would have gone over 40 bust like regular patterns (eras 1930s-1940s). I havent come across any maternity over 38 bust. Ive never seen any maternity patterns marked for a 'stout' woman (Id love to see that).

LD

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Oh, ladies, help me! I've fallen in love with a pattern that's for a 33bust! Not only will I have to grade up 13in but the odd number means it's junior sizing, which probably means it needs a FBA. I'm trying to stick to my guns! My goal for 2009 was to not buy anything smaller than 38.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Don't do it! The right patterns are out there for you, and you'll be able to afford them if you don't buy pain-in-the-tuchus patterns! *hugs*

kamikat said:
Oh, ladies, help me! I've fallen in love with a pattern that's for a 33bust! Not only will I have to grade up 13in but the odd number means it's junior sizing, which probably means it needs a FBA. I'm trying to stick to my guns! My goal for 2009 was to not buy anything smaller than 38.

can you show us the pattern? Maybe someone has a lead on it or something similar?

pretty faythe

One Too Many
plus sixed vintage inspired overalls

I know I have seen this someplace, somewhere. But at the moment the right search words are not coming to me, so I am putting this in here.
I am looking for some plus sized, I am a 18-20 atm, vintage inspired overalls...that don't cost an arm and a leg......or if any one has any for sale that's around that size =)
Thanks for the point in the right direction ladies.

GoddessMama

One of the Regulars
I'm glad to see this thread. I'm a size 20 and have found that any of the cute stuff I like on most websites is sold out. I have experience drafting my own patterns, but it was when I was much thinner, dose anyone draft their own patterns here?

Also what about plus sized underpinnings? How do the plus sized models get such a smooth figure? Like on this site, http://www.pinupgirlclothing.com/plus-size-dresses.html , are these girls just blessed with flawless plus sized figures? I am desperate for a smooth belly after having kids. My mother inlaw suggested a girdle, but how do you find one that will work with out spilling over the top?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Those gals are wearing a corset most likely, and in what I call the 'model pose' to show nothing of their creases and crevices.
They look to have a deeper figure as opposed to a wider figure which I can relate to. They do look awesome though.

As far as undergarments, check out this thread, and do an in thread search on plus size.

There is also this thread. Use the same search.

Good luck :)

LD

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
GoddessMama said:
I'm glad to see this thread. I'm a size 20 and have found that any of the cute stuff I like on most websites is sold out. I have experience drafting my own patterns, but it was when I was much thinner, dose anyone draft their own patterns here?

Also what about plus sized underpinnings? How do the plus sized models get such a smooth figure? Like on this site, http://www.pinupgirlclothing.com/plus-size-dresses.html , are these girls just blessed with flawless plus sized figures? I am desperate for a smooth belly after having kids. My mother inlaw suggested a girdle, but how do you find one that will work with out spilling over the top?
I don't draft my own patterns, I just grade up vintage ones. It's not hard once you start practicing it. As for undergarments, a longline bra with a high-waisted girdle will make firm through the whole torso for a slim skirt. If I'm wearing a full skirt, a waist cincher or just the longline bra will do.

GoddessMama

One of the Regulars
I know how to grade patterns as well, I just never seem to find ones that I love. I tried the twirl away dress and it made me look like I had giant shoulders. Where do you suggest going to look for the girdle? I don't want an ugly one. ;0)

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
kamicat, I have just packed a load of vintage patterns that are too late (era wise) for me. I'm fairly sure that one is very similar.
I'm away this weekend, if you don't hear back from me-drop me a pm on Monday and Iit will prompt me to go and look. (I'm selling some surplus to req stuff at a vintage bazaar!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot