Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plus Size Vintage

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Absynth, Welcome. Love your avatar, do you have the fabric it is from? I posted a link to just that print in the thread Let's see those Novelty Prints, didn't end up buying it tho, money's tight this month. You're a pattern size 24 or 22, it would seem. My friend is that size and I made the swing jacket for her and it is just perfect, very vintage, it is from an 40s McCall's pattern they reprinted.

absynth

New in Town
Welcome.

Im a 16/18, so i feel your pain in finding vintage wear

The truth is, most of the stuff that is a round survived cause no one wore it. So to compensate for my lack of true vintage garb, I make a lot of my stuff.

Another good got by are the 'old lady' clothing stores, like Macys. Old clothing lines like Ralph Loren, often keep their cuts the same on their older styles. Their ubber conservative modern attire is a good alternative as well.

We are all here to offer tips and whatever else you need to know. Good luck!

LD

In response to Lady Day

Thank you for the information. We do not have Macy's in Canada either. Some stores do carry Ralph Lauren though, so I will keep an eye out for that. Also I am very excited to pick everyone's brains. I am sure that I will drive all of you nuts ;) I am not sure how to respond to each post to me because there was only one reply option at the bottom of 3 comments so I am sorry if this gets confusing.

Absynth

That jacket is very cute! I'm a big jacket-fan though, so I would say that about most any jacket. It looks more 60s-style to me though.
I'm not sure what pattern size a clothing size 20 would be, but Vogue, Simplicity and Butterick all have re-issues of some of their vintage patterns out. If you go to the vogue website, there is a tab for "vintage vogue". They have alot of patterns.

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin...list.20006.x=1

Simplicity has about 4 or so patterns reissued (reaaaallly cute jacket too!), and Butterick has a sprinkling, but theirs I think are all from the 50s or later.
I'm pretty sure that Simplicity at least carries their patterns up to larger sizes in everything...

http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?...121&StartRow=1

I've also had good luck with ebay and larger patterns, if you keep your eye out. Let me know if the links don't work, I am probably not doing this right....

In response to Moxie Girl

It is so funny that you mentioned those particular patterns because I was looking at exactly those ones yesterday. I think that I am going to try to make the green suit and the dress with the long sleeves this winter. I know that if the suit turns out well that I will make it in 5 or 6 different colors and fabrics I am sure. The only problem that I have is telling if the sizes will fit or not. I bought a plus size pattern this summer for a simple a line skirt that was a size 22 and I am a 20, I managed to make a mock up pattern but it was way too small like 4 or 5 inches needed to be added so that it would even fit. So I am concerned that the patterns are not very well sized. Anyways, thank you so much for the suggestions and links.

Absynth

Hi Absynth, Welcome. Love your avatar, do you have the fabric it is from? I posted a link to just that print in the thread Let's see those Novelty Prints, didn't end up buying it tho, money's tight this month. You're a pattern size 24 or 22, it would seem. My friend is that size and I made the swing jacket for her and it is just perfect, very vintage, it is from an 40s McCall's pattern they reprinted.
Today 03:20 PM

In reply to Beginthebeguine

Thanks, I like my avatar as well, I copied it from someone on live journal if I remember correctly. I am a little bit confused about what you meant by the fabric/print thread/noveltyprints, maybe I am just not understanding what you were trying to say. Sorry. Have a great night.
Absynth

absynth

New in Town
Lady Day said:
Welcome.

Im a 16/18, so i feel your pain in finding vintage wear :(

The truth is, most of the stuff that is a round survived cause no one wore it. So to compensate for my lack of true vintage garb, I make a lot of my stuff.

Another good got by are the 'old lady' clothing stores, like Macys. Old clothing lines like Ralph Loren, often keep their cuts the same on their older styles. Their ubber conservative modern attire is a good alternative as well.

We are all here to offer tips and whatever else you need to know. Good luck!

LD

Sorry, now I see how to reply with the quote button, it's my first day be gentle on me....:eusa_doh:

Rosie

One Too Many
Plus size vintage can be found. I'm currently a size 24, normally an 18/20 and I find things. You just have to be patient, look, look, look and always have money on hand because what you see today will not be there tomorrow, or the next five minutes. Also, as some of the ladies have suggested, get a good eye for what you like and recreate that style using modern inspired or reproduction pieces and keep sewing, you'll get better.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
It's true about the plus size vintage--you can find it.

Just a quick search on eBay--and with your measurements on hand--you can land some pretty cute stuff.

Elvgrin rules! Makes me proud of my curves.

There are some great Simplicity patterns out there. And I can't remember where I saw it, but there is this one great pattern for a 40s shirtdress that I've seen so many times here.

And there's this site too.

http://www.folkwear.com/retro.html

Oh and DaddyOs has some larger sizes as well for their Stop Staring dresses, but they are a tad on the spendy side.

absynth

New in Town
Rosie said:
Plus size vintage can be found. I'm currently a size 24, normally an 18/20 and I find things. You just have to be patient, look, look, look and always have money on hand because what you see today will not be there tomorrow, or the next five minutes. Also, as some of the ladies have suggested, get a good eye for what you like and recreate that style using modern inspired or reproduction pieces and keep sewing, you'll get better.

Rosie

I know, I need to go into Vancouver and browse through all of the vintage stores when I have a day to really go and look through everything. My plan is to work hard on my sewing skills and whip out some beautiful stuff. :)

absynth

New in Town
BegintheBeguine said:
Unfortunately the only Folkwear pattern for a plus-size gal is the 30s day dress. It is cute. Thier patterns tend to stop at pattern size 16, which is what 10 or 12 in store-bought? eek

My problem even when I am buying plus sized patterns is that they don't seem to be consistent with sizing, so how in the heck do you know if it will fit until you actually try it out? Oh well, I am trying to lose weight and hopefully that will make it easier to find patterns that will fit.

Rosie

One Too Many
absynth said:
My problem even when I am buying plus sized patterns is that they don't seem to be consistent with sizing, so how in the heck do you know if it will fit until you actually try it out? Oh well, I am trying to lose weight and hopefully that will make it easier to find patterns that will fit.

Make sure you know your measurements and buy patterns based on your measurements, not your size. Also, the art of sizing up patterns comes in very handy when needed. Granted, I've only done it once but, it was fairly simple once I realized the difference between one size to the next, usually about 2 inches.

olive bleu

One Too Many
absynth said:
Hi, there. I am new to this community. I like many others that I have been reading in here, stumbled across this site in search of make up and hair tips for the 40's. I am so ecstatic to finally find a bunch of people who like the same things that I do.
Here is my problem, I am in love with the dress styles and the suits but am not able to find anything that is plus sized so that I can finally dress the way that I am wanting to. I am a size 20 and I am desperate for any hints and tips that you wonderful gals' can give me. I am an okay sewer but will keep on working on my skills, so that is not a problem if someone has a fairly simple dress pattern or something. I saw a McCall's pattern for a suit jacket and the pattern number is M5059 and I was wondering if anyone can tell me if it would be a good choice or not with a simple a line knee length skirt. Thank you in advance for any help that you can give me. I would post a picture but I am not sure how to yet.
HI... welcome to a fellow Canadian!(although clear across the country)I am also a "stout Gal" and sruggle with shopping for vintage clothes. just to address a couple of points,...it DOES seem that the majority of allthe great stores online are American, which does make it a bit more expensive for us. I personally just bite the bullet & do it. I have not tried any online vintage shopping yet, although i just signed on to e-bay, but i have been buying from L.L. Bean & Land's End for years. I have gotten to know how their sizes run, so i rarely have to send anything back.I guess that would be my advice is to find a couple places you love that are dependable.Generally i buy good quality coats & boots new & buy second hand for most other things. I save the online shopping for things that are really exquisite and not for things that i can get anywhere.I do spend a lot in shipping/exchange costs.As for the sizes, i generally find that the U.S. sizes are 1 size below ours( ex: I wear size 16 canadian, but fit size 14 american:) ).As for local vintage shopping... i can only say you have to go alot!Stuff does get snatched up and I just have 1 or 2 favourites that i hit at least once a week.and you have to try on a lot of clothes to find 1 or 2 things that really work.OHH.. but it is so worth it when you can hang that perfect dress in your closet and feel gorgeous everytime you put it on!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
It is expensive to shop online at times, but it is well worth it if you come across something that you love and enjoy wearing.

I just checked Daddyos http://www.daddyos.com/retro/retroldy.html and I saw quite a few cute larger size dresses. I just lost 40 lbs, but was rocking the size 16/18 before and bought a couple of nice dresses off of this site with nice success.

And I've also found that when I do find something in a bigger size, it sometimes still won't fit me all over, so having a good tailer to take in the waist is a great thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot